It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007, 09:23 PM   #1
(female)

barbie62 HB User
Methadone, I need to stop taking it. Please help!

Hi Everyone, I currently take meth for pain control. I can not take the side effects any more. I am sick and tired of the sweating. I had to get out today so I went to the mall. I was asking a clerk where the elevators were and she interrupted me and asked if it was raining outside. I had been inside for over 2 hours and I was dripping wet. This happens every time I go out or do any thing physicial. I am still in pain while I am on it. I take 20mg every 8 hours. I was on 80mgs of oxy but I can not afford it so I switched to the meth.
I do not have a appt. with my pain mgmt dr. until the 18th. So do I need to taper off or can I just stop taking it? I want to go away with my husband, who I feel like I am loosing, and do not want to be sweating like a pig for no reason.
Please help, I am desperate. I am very depressed and I am sure this is not helping the cause. I feel like people are staring at me when ever I go any where. I am really embarassed.
Sorry for the spelling errors.
Thank you for any help you can offer.
Barbara

Old 08-02-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
(female)

DannDees HB User
Re: Methadone, I need to stop taking it. Please help!

I quit methadone april 15th 2004...wow seems like yesterday..I will tell you what my doc told me..You will feel like you are going to die but you won't..I quit cold tukey but was only on 10 mg a day for a year..constipation and memory loss was the reason i quit. I originally was taking it for back pain. you can read my old post..Just want to let you know that while you are going through withdraw your pain in bad area will be worse then it ever was. Will make you believe you can't live without pain med. Once withdraws are over the pain is way less then you thought it was..I am now on boards trying to quit cigs and this is tough but methadone was torture but doable.. I would definately take vacation from work..also, my mind seemed unclear for a very long time like 6 months or so..If you would like to know more details I can xplain but don't want to scare you.. If I quit so can you..I kept a journal through the whole withdraws so I can tell you what to expect hour to hour..Each post in my journal I wrote how many hours it was without the pill..good luck to you!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2007, 09:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Barbara, That was a side effect that never got better for me during the 2 plus years I had no other choice then meth. Sweating and just feeling blah all day with no motivation was another problem I had with meth. I do think there is a coralation between my ambition once I stopped meth and had a pump implanted and started excercising daily to the point I was doing a half hour of earobic twice a day, whic led to returning to work part time.

Heck, it took an hour to stop sweating after a shower and by then you need another. I've met people that actually use anti persperant on their face, there is a precription type that's a solid you wipe on your face, I don't imagine it's great for the skin, but if stops sweat from dripping off your nose, I guess it's OK for some.

You may want to try reducing your dose a bit, dropping 5 mgs every 5-7days untill you just can't tolerate the pain would be a reasonable start untill you get to see your doc. Stopping cold turkey would be incrediablly miserable and the withdrawal lasts for weeks to months and can take a year for sleep, endorphin and enkephlin production to return to normal. You would be better off reducing in small increments beause your going to feel more than a 20 % decrease. It usually takes several days to notice you have decreased due to the half life. It would be foolish to decrease 20% one day and the next decrease farther because you don't feel bad yet, the fact is you just have enough meth in you to prevent feeling bad and any further reductionis going to hit you that much harder by day 5 when your serum level aligns with the actual dose your taking at that time. The first few 5 mh decreases might not even be felt, but deandees is right, it is doable, the pain will increase if you go cold turkey or make large decreases and the part people don'tmentionis the severe onset of depression, this is a time where you don't maant to make an permamanant life changing decsions,the depression and pain does get better and there is nothing wrong with wanting to see how much pain your really in after years on opiates. The initial pain is hightened by withdrawal and isn't a true gage of how bad things will be wonce you have detoxed the meth out of your system. Planning on taking time off is a good idea but having something to ocupy your mind and time also helps get through the long sleepless nights and days of nausea and shakes. The worst passes in the frirst 3 weeks, but there are several phases of detox and withdrawal that can last up to a year before you feel completely clear headed again.

If risking withdrawal makes you uncomfortable, wait untill you see your doc and let him make a change to something you can afford or look into programs like needymeds.com. Generic LA morphine isn't as bad as oxyC and where you get your meds can cost as much as twice as much if you don't shop prices. Sams club and costco that don't depend on their pharmacy to keep their doors open can be as little as 1/3 of what you pay at Walgreens ,Rite aid or CVS that make the bulk of their profit in the pharamcy. You don't even need a membership at sams club to use their pharamcy.

Unfortunately there just isn't anything as strong, that's any where near as cheap as meth. If you take 60 mgs a day, you might want to look into the cost of generic 60 mg morphine 3 times a day and the 100 mg tablets 3 times a day. That should certainly cover 60 mgs of meth. You might get by with less but it would give you a relative idea of what morphine would cost.
Good luck and don't go cold turkey, BAD idea. Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 08-03-2007 at 06:01 AM.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:48 PM   #4
(male)

Donorpanc HB User

Let the docs help you, it will be hard, but supposedly less than OC. Im not so sure about that! I'm going through it right now. I was on 80a day and they switched me to 80 a day of OC. Not even close in my mind. I felt like hell. So now I'm up to 80 2x a day of Oxyconitn. Still having issues. Sweats, pukie, a couple times. But not on the methadone anymore, they were so stressed about getting me off of.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:34 PM   #5
(female)

barbie62 HB User

Thanks Deeann and Shoreline for the quick response. I have Failed back Syndrome from failed fusion just a year ago and I also have RSD resulting from that surgery. I was on oxy for almost 2 years. I have only been on meth for about 2 months. Shoreline, I also feel like I have no reason to get out of bed. My doc wants me to try and excerise but I don't even take a shower for days at a time. I just don't feel like it. I have some oxy left as well as percs and I take dilaudid for break thru. I am in pain taking the meth so I don't want to keep taking it a feeling this terrible.
Thanks again for the advice. Can I cut my 10mg in half? Not sure about that. I have one of the PM's that take forever to call back. I will not hear from them until Tuesday if I call tomorrow. So any info is much appreciated.
Take Care

Old 08-03-2007, 05:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Barbie, Sory about the typos n my first post, It was 3 am, I do most of my posting when I can't sleep. Yes, you can break methadone tablets in half safely, it's not like a long actng med that all gets released at once by breaking the pill. Meth is longer acting by virtue of it's half life, that's why you can decrease a dose and not feel the decrese for several days untill your serum levels actually drop. It does take weeks and months to feel normal again but coming off meth was like having the color turned back on in life. It's a good med for some, but not everyone.

Decreasing your dose before your next visist will just make a change or discontinuing completely a little easier.

Hey wanna be, start a new thread about pumps, anyone that has one can offer insight but I would be more than happy to explain the trial and implant process.

Good luck, Dave

Old 08-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #7
(female)

Wren9 HB User

Hi Barbie,

You have only been on methadone for 2 months, so it should not be very difficult to switch to another medication at this point.

You gave it your best shot, 2 months is long enough to see if it would work for you, and it is not working -- you need to tell your doctor that the side effects are not tolerable.

I was on methadone for almost 2 years, and while it worked great for pain and was very consistent, I gained 30 lbs in 6 months and I just couldn't stand the extra weight. I also felt hot all the time, but did not have the extreme sweating that some experience.

I was taking 80 mg methadone (20 mg 4x per day) and I switched to 300 mg morphine (Kadian) with Oxy IR (15 mg 3x per day) for breakthru pain. This worked very well for me, and I did not have any withdrawals or any increase in pain. I had a slight headache for a day or two, but it is hardly worth mentioning.

What does your doctor say about switching to a different medication?

One more suggestion that may help: try taking the methadone in a lower dose but more often. So instead of taking, say, 10 mg 2x per day, take 5 mg 4x per day. Doing it like this helped me A LOT with the tiredness and motivation aspect. Dave is correct in that it is safe to split the pills into smaller doses. So you can break a 10 mg pill in half or even quarters.

-Wren

Old 08-07-2007, 12:58 AM   #8
(female)

barbie62 HB User

Wren, Thanks for the advice. I do not see the dr until next week. I am having some new pain so I am going to try and see him earlier but it will be doubtful.
I am down to 1 dose 3 times a day of methadone. I know that is pretty fast decrease but the only thing that I have felt is a huge increase in pain. I am taking either dilaudid or percocet to help. I have not broken out the oxy yet.
I am really angry that my body would not take it. My husband told me that people would stare at me when we would go out. He said I look horrible. He is not trying to be mean cause I said something about how it felt like people were looking at me. I thought it was because of the cane that I have just started to use but he said it has been going on for a while. I did not realize I look as bad as I do when I am drenched with sweat in an air conditioned room. I guess that is a good thing huh.
We are going to be going on a long weekend and then are supposed to be taking a trip to Washington State and I am really upset that my pain levels are going to be worse. We did not get to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, so we are trying to find something to do and I need to be able to do everything that is planned. If you know what I mean. I am still trying to come to terms with all of this and am working my way thru depression and it really just sucks.
My doctor will put me on anything I want it is just a matter of money. We do not have insurance right now and I just refilled my meth before my insurance ran out. Now I have alot of it and can not take it and I can not afford oxy but I think that regular morphine is cheap. Is that true.
Thanks for listening,
Take care,
Barbara

Old 08-07-2007, 05:46 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

pattihabs HB User

hi barbara, i am also on meth, i was on it last summer and stopped taking it w/o telling my pm, he was sooo mad and said i'm lucked i didn't kill myself. NEVER go off this med cold turkey. you must ween off it and let your pm know before you stop. call him if you need to. i am back on it as it helps me more then anyother narc for pain, (i have nerve pain from rsd). i also have all the nasty side affects from it. incredible sweating, very sleepy, feel confused, very thirsty ect. but, i had most of these sides on all the meds i tried. meth is the worst but it works the best for me so i'm just dealing with the sides. anyway, good luck on what ever comes next. for me, the spinal cord stim trial. have a great day, patti

Old 08-08-2007, 02:39 AM   #10
(female)

barbie62 HB User

Hi Patti, Thanks for the encouragment. I just could not take the sweating but that being said, I am down to 1 pill 3 times a day and I am not sure that I can deal with the pain. I have rsd too and I did not realize that it was helping with the pain I have from that. So not only is b back pain worse so is my leg pain. At this rate I will be back on the meth before my appointment next week. That is if I am still around by then. Not so sure about that part of it. I am in a really dark, depressed place right now and having trouble getting out. So we will see.
Thanks again and good luck with the stim.
Barbara

Old 08-08-2007, 06:03 PM   #11
(male)

sheets HB User

that is just one of the side effects of meth

i can remember going in a store in the middle of feb and sweating my but off and everyone looking at me funny

but in my case its the only drug that has helped me with my severe pain so im used to it now and have no problem with it ,ive been on it for a long time so i know how u feel and hope it works out for ya

Closed Thread