It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2007, 08:05 AM   #1
(male)

bcruth5 HB User
Ultram - Itching!!

I was prescribed Ultram last week to take as needed for headaches and back problems. I had previously taken Percocet and Lortab, but wanted to go with a non-controlled drug if possible.

I never had a negative side-effect with Lortab or Percocet. The Ultram helps with pain, but I have noticed severe itching on my arms and legs the day after taking my 50mg dose. Nothing else in my diet or environment has changed, so I think the Ultram must be the cause of my itching. Why would the itching start ~12 hours after taking it? I have no problems until the pain relieving effects are gone. I have no rash or redness.

I appreciate any comments or experiences!

Old 08-04-2007, 10:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Ultram - Itching!!

Be really careful you could be having a reaction to the medication. I personally just suffered from a life threatening reaction to neurotin. It started out small for 3 days then blew up into a serious reaction.

I would contact your pharmicist or doctor.

Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
(male)

bcruth5 HB User

What were your symptoms?

Old 08-04-2007, 03:16 PM   #4
(female)

*Spaz* HB User

Ultram/tramadol makes me itch. It's because it's a codeine like medication. I get it twice as bad with vicodin but not so bad with Ultram...but I know what you are talking about....like things are crawling on you...yuck....but yeah you are allergic to codeine most likely.

Last edited by HBMod07; 08-04-2007 at 04:52 PM.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
(female)

~briza~ HB User

Ultram doesn't make me itch but make me really dizzy and short of breath, so can't take it. Tylenol with codeine is my usual pain med. Works well, no side effects at all.
Had some more severe pain that Tylenol3 wasn't covering, so was Rxd vicodin (lortab) and that did make me itch, as did ms contin. Told my dr, he recommended taking benadryl along with it and that took care of the itch. It seems to be a common side effect, but definitely something to look into in case there is an allergic reaction going on.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #6
(male)

willy0803 HB User

The reason you itch when the dose is gone is feeling returning to everything.... you may not have went entirely numb before, but the nerves were kind of shut down. Pain meds inhibit the transmission of neurological compounds and when your body can succesfully uptake or eliminate the chemicals again, you feel the itching because the system is coming baclk online.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:48 PM   #7
Veteran

Mod08 HB UserMod08 HB UserMod08 HB User

Do not post to posts older than 60 days old. Please start a new thread.

Closed Thread