It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 10:40 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User
Any suggestions on pain meds?

I think I may be stuck between a rock and a hard place. I am allergic to most pain killers. I had lumbar fusion 3 months ago and have been trying to get by on Darvoset, but I really need something a little stronger. The Darvoset does very, very little to kill pain and I find myself gritting my teeth or biting down on the insides of my cheeks when I have pain. As you can imagine, I am having headaches and jaw aches and that helps nothing. I do have a high tolerance for pain, but not quite that high.

These are the meds that I am allergic to: morphine, codeine, oxycontin, oxycodone, hydrocodone, percoset, percodan, lortab and tramadol. My doctor said the meds that she could give me are the big guns and I do not need anything major. I just need something that will take the edge off of moderate pain without giving me the fuzzies.

I know, can I make this any more challenging? If anyone has any suggestions, I would really like to hear them. My PCP is at a loss and is also willing to get suggestions. The closest PM clinic is 250 miles away, so that will not help me.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User
Re: Any suggestions on pain meds?

What about transdermal patches or lidocaine injections? Maybe you can try Aleve, Tylenol, or Advil along with the Darvocet.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2007, 04:46 AM   #3
(female)

LifeLost HB User

If it is nerve pain there is something thats called Nuerontin. I've heart that the antidepressant Cymbalta takes the edge off the pain. Lets see ... theres lidocaine patches that kinda numb the area. You might want to look up the research on the drug D-cycloserin, my aunt whos a naturopath sent some articles up to me about some things they have done with it in tests.
Does Vicoden hve any of those ingredients? methodose, dilaudid.

I'm trying to think of ones I've been on that you hav'nt mentioned, but I don't really know if they contain the same stuff as the ones you can't take.

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited by LifeLost; 08-14-2007 at 04:49 AM.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:10 AM   #4
(female)

morgyporgy HB User

To me personally, darvocet is completely useless except it turns my tummy inside out. I was wondering if you are actually allergic to these meds or do you have major side effects with them? The reason i ask is that most times the side effects will dissipate after a week or so with use. If it is actually allergies, than your choices are unfortunetly limited. The only other thing i can suggest is prescription strength ibuprophen or naproxen. The other suggestions you were given are good too and the cymbalta has miracle properties for many people. The good thing about cymbalta is not only does it help with the pain but it also helps with the depression that can come with chronic pain. Hang in there and i sincerely hope with the help of your physician you can find something out there to help improve your life. Keep us updated and take care, morgyporgy

Old 08-14-2007, 11:56 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacal5 View Post
What about transdermal patches or lidocaine injections? Maybe you can try Aleve, Tylenol, or Advil along with the Darvocet.

Good luck
Thanks. I will ask the Dr. about the patches at my next appt. Right now we are trying to keep with oral meds, hoping that I do not need to take them much longer. As it is, I am plowing through with no meds most of the day (mostly because I can't see where the Darvoset is doing anything). I can not take nsaids for another 3 months - direct orders from my neurosugeon. There is tylenol in the darvoset, so I don't want to take extra.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:06 PM   #6
(male)

whosit HB User

you could try a muscle relaxer and that may help......something like flexeril, or skelaxin. other painn meds you could suggest are:

IBU 800mg

Fioricet

promethazine tablets actually helps pain some I have found in me

cold packs seem to help alot for BT pain

dont rule out naprosyn(naproxen)....i think that is spelled right! LOL

Soma helped some for moderate pain

Zanaflex I dont know too much about this one

Bextra again I dont know too much about it

Paracetamol This is supposed to be mild on the stomach

That is about all i know with the info you provided me with. Keep in mind I am not a doctor and you should always consult with your doctor before doing ANYTHING with medication wether prescribed or not. I hope this helps you and you find some pain relief out of one of those. i would just print that list and take it to our doctor and they will be able to tell you which one of them(if any) would suit you best.

Wvrecon432

Old 08-14-2007, 12:09 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeLost View Post
If it is nerve pain there is something thats called Nuerontin. I've heart that the antidepressant Cymbalta takes the edge off the pain. You might want to look up the research on the drug D-cycloserin.
Does Vicoden hve any of those ingredients? methodose, dilaudid.

Hope this helps a little.
Believe me, any input is appreciated. I already take Cymbalta for depression and it has had a little effect on the nerve pain. I have taken Lyrica but it knocked me out, so the neuro would not try nuerontin. I am going to start Topamax tonight. It is not the nerve pain that I am having the issue with. Vicodin contains hydrocodone so it is out. Dilaudid is one of the big guns that is more than I need.

Methodone/methodose is an option and I am going to look into D-cycloserin. Thanks, more things to discuss with the doctor.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:16 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgyporgy View Post
To me personally, darvocet is completely useless except it turns my tummy inside out. I was wondering if you are actually allergic to these meds or do you have major side effects with them? Hang in there and i sincerely hope with the help of your physician you can find something out there to help improve your life. Keep us updated and take care, morgyporgy
I agree with you about the darvocet, but when your options are so limited and you have to see a PCP who don't generally deal with the allergies like I have. They are allergies. It seems that I can only take a drug for so long then I develope a sensativity, hives. Once I developed the allergy to codeine, that knocked out a lot of meds because so many of them are derivatives. We've tried and have to have the benadryl real handy!! I am not really allergic to morphine, it makes me violently ill so my neurosurgeon told me to always list it as one of my allergies, GREAT.

I will keep you posted.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvrecon432 View Post
you could try a muscle relaxer and that may help......something like flexeril, or skelaxin. other painn meds you could suggest are:
IBU 800mg Fioricet promethazine tablets cold packs dont rule out naprosyn(naproxen) Soma Zanaflex Bextra Paracetamol

Keep in mind I am not a doctor and you should always consult with your doctor before doing ANYTHING with medication wether prescribed or not.
Wvrecon432
Lots of really good ideas and I really, really am not trying to be difficult.

I just switched to flexeril it usually puts me right to sleep, but the Dr. is having me try 1/2 a pill (skelaxin was useless). If that does not work, I will ask the Dr. about Soma or Zanaflex.

No nsaids for 3 more months so that knocks out ibuprofen, naproxen, bextra.

Promethazine would be ok if it were not for all the things I already take that cause drowsiness especially the flexeril.

Paracetamol is actually the pharmacutical name of acetominophen. Darvoset already contains it, so the Dr. doesn't want me taking much more, but I will occationally take some if I absolutely have to.

Ice packs are my friend. I do use them when I have inflamation and can stop for 20 minutes. But as I am sure you are aware, you just can't walk around all day with an ice pack in your pants. Although with the weather we have been having that is a really good thought!

Believe me, I know you guys are just giving me things to think about and consider. I am not going to do anything without my Dr.'s say so. But she checked on several meds, but couldn't come up with any that I could take except the really strong meds and I don't need that. I knew the best place to get ideas would be to ask those that have been living with cronic pain.

Thanks so much.

Last edited by bwitht; 08-14-2007 at 12:45 PM.

Closed Thread