It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2007, 06:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Red face So exhausted,Lyrica,oxycodone? & still in pain!

Anyone with any suggestions, on Lryica (8 days) & started oxycodone 10mg x2 daily(approx: 2wks) , all of a sudden I have this constant feeling of exhaustion. Terrible, want to just doze off at any given time, real cranky. Hard to deal with everyday things. worst part still in pain. Memory is real bad, what are some opinions on this? on other meds to, been on them for a while so I am taking a guess it must be one of the above, I definantly cannot deal with this exhausted feeling, up till now I actually was feeling the opposite. The memory thing is really strange, forget simple things, house is full of sticky notes, two dry erase boards, this is getting alittle scary, already know the doctor will say I need to give it more time, have yet to increase Lyrica dose (due tommorrow) little afraid to do that at this time. Need relief from some of this pain to. Cut back (way back) on my skelaxin hoping for a difference, can't cut that any more already in muscle spasm good part of the day. Any suggetions? Need something to go on here, get more info. from this board then the doctors. Going to see Neuro friday maybe I can suggest something else to try. Looking forward to hearing some opinions! Sammy

Old 08-14-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
(female)

Lotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB User
Re: So exhausted,Lyrica,oxycodone? & still in pain!

A few months ago, my doctor suggested Lyrica to help with my nerve pain. I am in pretty bad shape and am willing to try anything.

I too was totally exhausted. I couldn't do anything. I had recently started Cymbalta and was having great success. It seemed like the Lyrica totally counteracted the Cymbalta.

I knew that I needed to give it some time to see if the side effects would abate, however after a month, I gave up. I just couldn't function. Too bad too because it did seem to help somewhat with the nerve pain.

My doctor told me that of all of his patients that are on this medication, only myself and one other patient had this side effect and it didn't get any better for the other patient either.

I would give it some more time, but make sure your doctor knows that you are having this problem.

Lizzie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

lottieliz, doc took me off lryica, said ween off, funny how do you ween off when your on one 50mg capsule @ bedtime.Never said how, sad part is started lryica same time as other meds & was getting some relief last couple days, although could not believe the tired feeling & memory issue, now doc took me off most of them & I don't which one was giving me alittle relief. start rehab. doc next hope he will help with this pain, want my life back. Thank you so much for you reply, Sammy

Old 08-19-2007, 05:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Sammy,

I agree with Lottyliz. Cymbalta has helped my pain, fatigue, and crankiness. I think it's wonderful, and my fiance' is willing to pay whatever it costs, because he is so happy with the results! Talk to your doctor about trying it. I felt weird for the first day or two, then that went away very quickly. I have not felt this good in a LONG time. It takes anywhere from one to four weeks to notice the results. For me it was about four weeks. Give it a try. It could be the key to finally feeling better!

Good Luck!

Old 08-19-2007, 10:57 PM   #5
(female)

Queenneeee HB UserQueenneeee HB User

Hi !! I started lyrica about 3 weeks ago. I had over did it one day in the house and the next day my pain was so bad I never moved at all, it was intolerable. So I called my doctor and he increased my lyrica to (2)75mg twice a day up from (1) twice a day. Within a few hours my pain was tolerable and under control. The nurse that called said they were going to increase it at my appt. next week anyway. I have noticed a BIG difference in pain relief since starting the lyrica. I was only taking 10/750 of vicodin 4 times a day for pain and in between doses the pain was totally out of control. The lyrica does take the big edge off between doses. I do notice increased sleepiness however the vicodin had me jumping through hoops even though the pain was still there so I am happy to slow down alittle. I go to the doctor this Tuesday so I will discuss my meds with him then. I am concerned about maybe weight gain because I DON'T WANT TO GAIN WEIGHT but other than that the side effects are minimal for me. I guess I will add I do have a feeling of .......let's say...... a minor foggy feeling right now but I am hoping that will subside after taking lyrica for longer........ good luck to you.....take-care

Old 08-20-2007, 05:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks guys can''t take any AD's,. Tried in the past infact one was cymbalta. I envy those who can & get relief. Don't know what is going to work for me, but back to work this week & I am more then alittle nervous. I need one Dr. who will work with me & find what is going to work for this pain,until we get closer to solving the problem. Back to being waking up in the middle of the night with pain after meds were changed last week, so frustrated. Happy fo ryou guys though. Sammy

Old 08-20-2007, 05:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Queen, Since going off the Lryica I am back in more pain, because put on & off other meds at same time don't know if it was the Lryica, I really felt drowsy & my memory was not the best on it, could not remember where I put something or what someone had said to me did feel like I was moving around in a fog, I was only on one 50mg @ bedtime so I was afraid to increase it. i wonder if there is a better time of day to try it would you know? Funny I have heard great stories with Lryica & stories that had me alittle scared, anyone know how neurotin works? is it different the Lryica? Thanks Sammy

Old 08-20-2007, 07:57 AM   #8
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyo1 View Post
Queen, Since going off the Lryica I am back in more pain, because put on & off other meds at same time don't know if it was the Lryica, I really felt drowsy & my memory was not the best on it, could not remember where I put something or what someone had said to me did feel like I was moving around in a fog, I was only on one 50mg @ bedtime so I was afraid to increase it. i wonder if there is a better time of day to try it would you know? Funny I have heard great stories with Lryica & stories that had me alittle scared, anyone know how neurotin works? is it different the Lryica? Thanks Sammy
Hi Sammy. Yes I take (2) 75mg of lyrica a day ...... two in the morning and then two at dinner....Yes the foggy feeling is somewhat there but not bad and I do nod off for about 30min each afternoon, but that is ok because the vicodin would never let me rest it kept me moving and then moving some more !! However so far it has really helped with my pain level so I feel it is a very fair trade...... I will try almost anything to bring my pain level down. They did say the side effects will subside after so long.....I would also like to know the comparison between lyrica and neurotin ..... my insurance won't cover my lyrica ..... thank goodness for samples.........take-care,

Old 08-20-2007, 08:47 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

Queenee I had good lucky with Lyrica also. I take 75mg twice a day sometimes three times. It is awful if I dont. I tried that a time or two. Just becuz one feels better it doesn't mean you can go off the meds. About your reaction of mixing Lyrica with Pain meds. That is so funny I take Ultram ers now but when I was taking Ultracet and Baclafen and Lyrica together I would be zooming all over. My pain doctor said he didnt know anything about that. but since I am on the slow release kind I do not get that high.

About weight gain, that is not everyone. I have not gained anything. That is all about eating. It has not increased my appetite.

To bad for those who cannot take it. I do get the fuzzy feelings sometimes and have noticed lately that my memory sucks. I didn't know until today that others on Lyrica have that issue.

I was put on low dose xanax and do know for a fact do not take it with the other meds. Makes me completely dizzy and fall asleep at the wheel. I only take it when I go to bed. It is supposed to help with chronic pain but since I cannot take it enough I do not notice the difference.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:58 AM   #10
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backinthesaddle View Post
Queenee I had good lucky with Lyrica also. I take 75mg twice a day sometimes three times. It is awful if I dont. I tried that a time or two. Just becuz one feels better it doesn't mean you can go off the meds. About your reaction of mixing Lyrica with Pain meds. That is so funny I take Ultram ers now but when I was taking Ultracet and Baclafen and Lyrica together I would be zooming all over. My pain doctor said he didnt know anything about that. but since I am on the slow release kind I do not get that high.

About weight gain, that is not everyone. I have not gained anything. That is all about eating. It has not increased my appetite.

To bad for those who cannot take it. I do get the fuzzy feelings sometimes and have noticed lately that my memory sucks. I didn't know until today that others on Lyrica have that issue.

I was put on low dose xanax and do know for a fact do not take it with the other meds. Makes me completely dizzy and fall asleep at the wheel. I only take it when I go to bed. It is supposed to help with chronic pain but since I cannot take it enough I do not notice the difference.
Hi Backinthesaddle !! I like to hear good feed back from a new med I am taking, I really do think it is helping too. I wanted to mention to you that I was on Ultram for almost a year. I was taking (3) ultram every four hours. I thought they were helping but now I realize they really did little compared to taking Vicodin. I really had apsolutely no life and was still in constant pain with the ultram. I also wanted to mention that my 'bathroom issues' were horrible while I was on ultram. It would be 6 days sometimes and then it was one of the worst things of my life if you know what I mean. I hope you are not experiencing any of that but if you really want pain relief ultram to me was a big waste and not effective ....... take -care,

Old 08-20-2007, 10:54 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Did any of you notice the symptoms such drowsiness , memory loss & so on get better with time? my family is afraid of me trying Lyrica again, but if the pain returns to full blown I may have to, can't get into rehab doc. until sept, 10. Long wait when in pain. Thanks Sammy

Old 08-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #12
(female)

ktjo HB User

Neurontin, a drug initially created as a seizure med, has been very successful in use against Fibro and other nerve/soft tissue pain. It's a drug on which you're the test bunny, however. No specific level is effective for all.

Some do well on very low doses - others take as much as 6000mg/d, so if
your doctor continues to increase your dose, don't be surprised.

Don't, however, do it yourself. I made the mistake, once (and only once)
of doubling it (I'd forgotten I'd already taken it) - thought I was drunk for
about 5 hours! My speech was slurred, I thought in slow motion, etc., etc.
Not recommended..lol

Will it work forever? I don't know. I was on 4500/day for a significant period and then, 'poof', it stopped working. At the same time, I was taking Oxycocet and fell back on increasing that dosage in order to keep at least
some of the pain outside the door.

Eventually, I was on far too much Oxy, so was put on Lyrica and a morphine Patch. wow I haven't felt this good in 10 years!

I can *do* things again and I'm not constantly tired. However, I've just started this regimen, so am keeping my 'expectation options' open for a
few months..

Great good luck with the Neurontin. I know people who've been taking it for years with great success. I hope you're one of them.

K

Old 08-20-2007, 03:21 PM   #13
(female)

KTJO ... did you really mean 4500 mg. of lyrica a day ?? If so WOW !! My doctor just increased mine and I am now taking 450 mg. per day(150mg. x3)..... I can't imagin increasing that by over 1000 mg..... Also To all of you that are taking lyrica has your insurance approved it ?? Mine will NOT, they say it has not been approved for my illness. (I am taking it to relieve the nerve pain from my spine and pelvis)....Also anyone with info as to the comparison between Lyrica and Neurotin ??...Never thought I would be so interrested in Perscriptioin meds in my life, but we all have to do what we have to do..... take-care,

Old 08-20-2007, 05:10 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Queen, My insurance pays for the Lryica of course still pay the highest co-pay for that script, doctors warned it was expensive if not covered, I to am very curious as to the difference between the neurotin & Lryica. perhaps we should put a new thread up to see if anyone knows, can always ask the docs,or pharmacist but @times I swear I learn more off the boards. Maybe neurotin would not make me as tired and effect my memory as bad, I am olny 42 but on the Lryica my memory made me feel 80, already have days like that with the pain. At least you know if you had to you could try neurotin if insurance is a problem, Have you inquired if that would be covered under your plan? I can't believe you guys are on such A high dose & 50mg was making me feel like I felt, we are all different, maybe I should have gave it more time, I was on it about 2wks. Let me know about how you feel about addressing the issue of differances in a new thread. almost forgot I remember asking the nurse in the docs office about what dosage she thought would be needed, she told me some of the ladies in office took around three aday she did ok with one, right away I thought how many people in the docs office are on lryica (not a huge office) & why, struck me as kind of weird. I have lost alot of weight since may so not real big, wonder if that could make any kind of real differance, does the lyrica come in lower then a 50mg anyone know? Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 08-20-2007 at 05:22 PM.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:18 AM   #15
(female)

Hi Sammy !! You bring up alot of my same thoughts. I also am in my 40's (45 actually shhhh,lol) Like I said I was perscibed Lyrica for pain that comes from my spine. My insurance won't cover it because it has not been approved for that kind of pain. The pharmacy said 2 pills a day for a week was like $20.00, well now I take 4 pills per day so that would be like 80.00 per month (which I don't have now that I can't work anymore) When I told my doctor this I asked about neurotin and he just said he will hopefully be able to keep me supplied with free samples. So I really never got an explanation why not to try the neurotin. Yes I take 450 mgs per day now , the fogginess did subside but the somewhat drowziness is still there but nothing a 30 min nap does't remedy. I do for sure have good results with the lyrica so far. First time in 2 years I actually would say my pain at times is bearable !! HOORAY !!.... I go to the doctors in an hour so I willl post what I find out from him.... I will also start a new thread ... Lyrica vs. Neurotin !! Hang in there ...........

Closed Thread