It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 09:25 AM   #1
(female)

germanshepherd HB User
Hi All! Had Unscedualed Surgery Last Thursday, In A Lot Of Pain, Read This,scary....

Hi Ozzy and Izzy's Mom. I just read your pist Izzzy with the patches and don't blame you, they are a pain and I haven't gotten back to mine either, here's why. As you all know I am know considered chronic pain management for back and the fibromyalgia doesn't help either. I see a great pain managenment doc, she is wonderful and has been trying me on new drugs to see what works. The last thing was the duragesic patch and was a day and a half into the 25 mcg when this happened. A yr. ago in June, I had a hysterectomy because of women issues. I also have post under hytso because of continueing problems with that a yr. later. It was an abdominal incision. Last Sat-Sun, my tummy felt naseau and had some stomach pain. Nothing to me out of the norm, especially since I was new on the patch. Well by Monday morning, felt better,did my daily chores, by the evening I had what felt like cramping, or spasm like feeling on right side going horizontal across from belly button. It was worse by Wednesday and I couldn't hardly walk or sleep. My hubby took me to hospital. I was given a cat scan and first showed infection of somesort in abdominal area, not stomach. It was also believed to be appendix maybe. It also looked like a flare in large intestine, kind of like diverticulitis, which I don't have. I was given IV and dauladid for pain. I was hookied up with a surgeon who talked me into exploritory surgery on abdominal area and she was telling me as I signed a consent form, she was going in blindly and still wasen't sure what problem was and gave me a bunch of it could be this or this. I was scared. She went in laproscopically but told me she might possibly have to make large incision if ahe found something. I was in surgery for 2 hours. What she found out that my scar tissue from hysto a year ago grew, yes you heard me grew. Didn't know that could happen. It wrapped itself around the fatty tissue in your abdominal area called "omentin". We all have it, the heavier the more you have it. Then blood suppy was cut off as it was also around intestine too. The tissue was dying inside me causeing the pain. If I would have waited any longer, I would have went into septic shock and died. How scary is that? So you think you have a pain and think it might be gas or whatever. It amazed me. I have issues with this doctor even though she saved my life. First, she knew I was under pm care and signed a contract and new I would be on pain meds for rest of life. What she did was when I was in recovery, she didn't put me on a morpine drip or nothing and was only gonna keep me on 2 5mg of percocet!!!!! I was screaming in recovery and nurse, God bless ti women, overode her decision and gave me plenty of morpine and dilaudid. Can you believe that! She even sent me home the next evening! I had to argue with her about giving me vicodin es to go home with!!!! She did finally. In closing, I had major surgery, no pain meds and not only that she ripped up my belly button. She said I would need plastic surgery! I have two laproscopic insicisons and a sloopy incision from top of belly button down. It's nasty. I have to see this barbaric doctor in 2 weeks, don't know what to do. My experience with this women was horrible. Anyway I am in 4th day of healing and feel like crap. Still in a lot of pain. Hugs to all Tammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: Hi All! Had Unscedualed Surgery Last Thursday, In A Lot Of Pain, Read This,scary.

Tammy-
Oh my goodness sweetie. What a scary thing for you! I am so glad you went to the bospital because you certainly could have ended up losing a portion of your intestines from the omentum being compromised by that scar tissue! That is a scary, scary thought.

I'm also glad you were able to have some medications to help with the pain because you had major surgery there. I know you did the right thing in speaking up for yourself, otherwise you would really be in bad shape after what you've been through.

Please take care of yourself, get some rest and do NOT over-do things. I'm certainly glad you went to the hospital!!! Keep us posted on your recovery-I'm sending positive thoughts for speedy healing!

Old 08-20-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
Re: Hi All! Had Unscedualed Surgery Last Thursday, In A Lot Of Pain, Read This,scary.

Tammy - I'm really sorry about what happened!! The good thing is that you DID go to the ER and didn't ignore it. In 1996 I started having symptoms very similar to what you've just described. I had the additional symptom of not being able to go to the bathroom - I was completely constipated. My pain got worse and worse and my husband finally made a decision to take me to the emergency room (against my wishes!). Well, the docs decided that they would have to open me up to see what was going on. Thank God they did!! I had perforated my colon and all my body waste was being dumped into my stomach cavity!! If I had waited another 24 hours I too would have been 6 ft. under today. I ended up with a colostomy (the external bag) for 6 months while waiting for all the infection to go away. Then the surgeon went back in a re-connected the plumbing, so to speak! What had me very upset was that this doc only prescribed Darvocet N for my pain. That was it!! Once I had left the recovery room (where they did give me something stronger) it was just oral Darvon until I was discharged. He also sent me home on Darvon, but only a 7 day supply. Some surgeons just have absolutely no idea how much a patient can suffer when their abdominal muscles have been cut. Yikes!!! I hope you can hang in there. I sympathize with your crazy incision - take care honey! Memere

Old 08-20-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Tammy,

I am SO Sorry!!! You have been through so much! I had an abdominal surgery in May, and Honey, I had a epidural, and then a Dilaudid pump! For the 4 days I was in the hospital! Then the surgeone kept me on my LA med of oxycontin, and then increased my percocet alot above that!

Please ask your pain doctor to take over your pain control. This is truly ridiculous! Call them today! Or at least first thing the morning! I am so glad you went and got this taken care of, but your pain management is a joke. Please call tomorrow and update us and let us know. I hope you get to feeling better VERY soon! Hugs!

Your Friend,

Amanda

Old 08-20-2007, 08:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User

How scary...sorry to hear how you were treated by her.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:24 AM   #6
(female)

germanshepherd HB User
To Memere, Ozzy, Butterfly And Curious, Love Is Felt Thank You All............

Thanking you all for your prayers and kind thoughts. I am still in shock this happened. The scary things that can happen to us and almost ignore only because we are all in pain with something else! I thank God and my angels everyday for being with me. I won't be able to go back to work now for 2 weeks more. I couldn't even imagine knowing how much I hurt right now doing pedicures and nails. I miss the spa. My pm called me in hospital and wanted me to call her this week. She couldn't believe this doctor either and not giving me anything stronger after surgery. Of course taking the vicodin es 2 every 4 hours made me real constipated, but releif came yesterday, yeah! I am gonna call pm today. My biggest complaint right now is the burning and pain in incision. So hard to get out of bed as I have a plush pillow top, high mattress. I will keep you all updated and thanking you all again. Hugs and love to all, Tammy, My husband my savior and my strength through all of this and his holding me when I cry with pain and his love, I love you Kenny so much..........

Closed Thread