It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2007, 08:22 AM   #1
(male)

larbec7 HB User
Working while on Pain Medication

Do any of you work while you are on pain medication? What does your employer say about that? How does it effect your job?

We are not allowed to take any type of pain meds at work but I do anyway. They make me have to think and think hard becuase I cannot remember what I did 30 minutes ago. Plus it makes me plain dumbfounded sometimes so I live in pain throughout the day until I get home.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Working while on Pain Medication

I work full time as an EA to a Deputy Director. I put in a +40 week I take meds and they are pretty heavy duty. I see my PM once a month for the scripts. When I asked my PM what to do about the memory slips, he laughed, told me to invest in alot of post its..take alot of notes....

My boss is aware of what I have gone through has nothing but respect for me working with the level of pain that I do. His one criticism of me was that I didn't come to him for help when I got stuck down on the floor and couldn't get back up (have been fused from T9-sacrum).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2007, 11:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

I can totally understand an employer not wanting employees who are performing surgery on people, operating heavy equipment, or driving company vehicles not taking medications, but if you are working in a field where these things are NOT a requirement, it seems to be that it would be a case of discrimination for them to fire you for taking medications that are medically necessary in order for you to function "normally". (Except for those states that are "Fire at Will" states)

If your use of medications does not interfere with your job performance, then I feel they should just mind their own business. When it comes down to it, I don't really think it's any of their business to begin with.

Another thing to think about it that for most of us- we have been on some type of medication for an extended period of time, so even when we do take these meds, we basically get relief from pain, but not any kind of a "high" because our bodies have learned to adjust to them. I know there are some exceptions like methadone and probably a couple others, but still- we simply handle our medications differently than people who have to take them only occassionally to treat acute pain.

My husband and I own our own business, so I do feel fortunate that I don't have to worry about this issue. This wasn't the case quite a few years ago as I did work in a situation where there was NO allowance for employees in my department to be taking the medications I take for any reason. I'm sure I'd not be working there now because of my need for meds.

I wish all of you a good day!

Last edited by ozzybug; 08-24-2007 at 11:24 AM.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:09 PM   #4
(male)

larbec7 HB User

I work in the manufacturing world aropund heavy equipment and production equipment all day BUT...I have a desk job so I am not out on the floor everyday. It is just a company policy

Old 08-24-2007, 03:29 PM   #5
(female)

steckles HB User

I work full time, sometimes needing more than the usual Ultram. Ultram allows me to work, eat talk do everything i did before I felt the pain, when it gets stronger, codeine or vicodin helps, but I try to have a bit of caffiene when working on those...I also keep to myself those days so I am not evidently drugged...

Old 08-24-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

Ozzybug...What did you mean in your post about Methadone being an exemption to meds that make you "high" while at work? I've been on 180 mg per day of Methadone for over four years and I've never felt a high or buzz from the medication. I'm not working presently and I'm on SSD due to CP.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

My boss does not know about my meds. I do my job and I do it well. It does not effect my performance, other than to allow me to go to work in the first place. I worry that someday they will find out and look at me different. However, I will argue that I have always been on these meds, and there was no problem before.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:47 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

mudbone HB User

Director, I think there is some misconception about meth as a killer- all out powerfull med. I used to take it and like you after the initial week or so there were no side affects other than the nods..
Then again, I am on oxycodone, and the same -after a while your body gets used to it and the side affects diminish also. I get no high like I used to in the past. Euphoria -yea maybe, I think its that fact of pain diminishing after 1/2 hour causing "Euphoria". whaddya think??

Old 08-25-2007, 04:07 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director View Post
Ozzybug...What did you mean in your post about Methadone being an exemption to meds that make you "high" while at work? I've been on 180 mg per day of Methadone for over four years and I've never felt a high or buzz from the medication. I'm not working presently and I'm on SSD due to CP.
Director- I should have elaborated a bit more on that statement. My comment was more about the effects of methadone making you drowsy during certain tasks like driving, working at a computer, watching tv. I didn't mean to imply it gives those who take it a high/buzz in any way. Everyone I know who takes methadone says that the tasks that aren't "busy" tasks, (tasks that have them basically sitting still) become problematic sometimes in that they tend to get really drowsy and even nod off.

I didn't mean to offend, forgive me for not making my statement more clear. See, even us PM patients don't always word things appropriately...

Ozzy

Last edited by ozzybug; 08-25-2007 at 04:07 AM.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:38 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

55steel HB User

Because of the privacy laws it is none of your employer's business if you're taking pain medication unless you're operating some equipment that makes you a danger. Nowadays, most people that do those kinds of jobs get drug-tested anyway. I don't have that type of job and my employer has no clue that I take pain killers at work. He won't ever find out because nobody I work with knows about it either. It doesn't effect my performance in the least, working in pain is a major distraction. I took Benadryl at work one day and it knocked me on my butt. That's what I find so funny. People think nothing of taking that sort of thing but get all freaked out if it's narcotics.

Anyone who is in pain management should be not be telling people. It's just good practice to keep that quiet because all you need is one person to tell one person, etc. and then before you know it everyone knows.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:57 PM   #11
(female)

morgyporgy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbone View Post
Director, I think there is some misconception about meth as a killer- all out powerfull med. I used to take it and like you after the initial week or so there were no side affects other than the nods..
Then again, I am on oxycodone, and the same -after a while your body gets used to it and the side affects diminish also. I get no high like I used to in the past. Euphoria -yea maybe, I think its that fact of pain diminishing after 1/2 hour causing "Euphoria". whaddya think??
This is something i explained to my husband. When i am hurting and i take my meds and it takes that edge off, it is a high. It is not a chemical high for me it is a relief. Kinda like when when you have a bad toothache or headache and you take something for it. The pain starts going away and your whole body relaxes and it feels good after feeling bad for so long. I agree that the euphoria that alot of people speak of is more like a pain relief high for most of us that have been on meds for awhile.

Closed Thread