It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
(female)

tammy143 HB User
How long for oxycodone mg capsules to take effect?

I am new to these boards and I had a couple of questions~~ I am on oxycodone 5ml capsules. I wanted to know how long after taking the pill should I get the full effect of the pain medicine?

Second question is I have a friend>>(seriously is a friend not myself) who is on the same medication!! She has been on it a while as I have just started due to a surgery I just had!! SHe is taking the capsules without tylenol as well as me!! She however takes the powder out of the pill and takes it that way! I have seen her do it! Why does she do that!! She has been on these pills for a while but can't that still hurt her? Please let me know why people do that vs just taking it in whole!! Thanks

Old 09-04-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User
Re: How long for oxycodone mg capsules to take effect?

She does that because when you crush or open an oxycontin tab, you are 'over riding' the time release factor, and getting all the med at once.

This is an extremely dangerous practice, not only can it lead to death, if her doctor or pharmacist discovers that she is abusing her meds in this way, she will be cut off. No doctor will even help her to taper once she makes the choice to abuse her meds.

I hope you can let her know how dangerous and foolish this practice is.

I don't know the answer to your first question, but meds in pill form usually take about 45 minutes to take effect.

~Fabby

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Oops wrong thread, sorry

Last edited by Fabrashamx; 09-04-2007 at 04:47 PM. Reason: reply posted in wrong thread for some reason?

Old 09-04-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

She is abusing her meds, and if her doc finds out, she will never get them again. dont follow her stupid actions...Welcome to the boards! I agree with Fabbers...45 minutes should be when you would feel the full effect.
Good luck!
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 09-05-2007, 01:47 AM   #5
(female)

kittencaboodle HB User

The capsules you are referring to sounds like OxyIR (or its equivalent) which is an instant release form of oxycodone. It does not have any time released qualities. Some people do open up the capsules and either mix it with water, juice, or add it to applesauce. But this is usually limited to those who either have a hard time swallowing the capsule itself or have a digestive problem that does not enable the capsule the dissolve properly to release the medicine such as a gastric bypass surgery. This is usually done with approval of the prescribing physician or the pharmacist.

This capsule will usually start working within 30 minutes or so and usually last for 4-6 hrs. If your friend is taking 'Oxycontin' which is the time-released version of oxycodone, she should not under any circumstances crush the pill. I do not think Oxycontin comes in 'capsule' form....only pill form. I could be wrong though.

The best way to take this and any other medication is as directed by the prescribing physician and/or pharmacist. Even if others medicate themselves one way does not necessarily make it the safest way or best way for YOU. Live smart and always check with a medical professional regarding dosing procedures.

Take care,
~~~Kitt

Old 09-05-2007, 06:37 AM   #6
(male)

whitfield HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy143 View Post
I am new to these boards and I had a couple of questions~~ I am on oxycodone 5ml capsules. I wanted to know how long after taking the pill should I get the full effect of the pain medicine?

Second question is I have a friend>>(seriously is a friend not myself) who is on the same medication!! She has been on it a while as I have just started due to a surgery I just had!! SHe is taking the capsules without tylenol as well as me!! She however takes the powder out of the pill and takes it that way! I have seen her do it! Why does she do that!! She has been on these pills for a while but can't that still hurt her? Please let me know why people do that vs just taking it in whole!! Thanks
When you say she takes the powder out of the pill--what does she do with it then? Some people can not take pills--my elderly mother has to take the medicine out of her pills and sprinkle it on food--Is that what you mean? Other people will crush the medicine and that IS abuse--making the time release not effective and getting all the medication instantly--This is Abuse and would not be tolerated by any doctor--please clarify--whitfield

Old 09-05-2007, 09:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

In the OP, Tammy stated she was talking about 5 mg Oxycodone. Since they don't make Oxycontin in that dose, I would assume it's OxyIR she's referring to. So, there's no need to worry about a time release factor in taking the powder out of the cap, because it's not designed for time release.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director View Post
In the OP, Tammy stated she was talking about 5 mg Oxycodone. Since they don't make Oxycontin in that dose, I would assume it's OxyIR she's referring to. So, there's no need to worry about a time release factor in taking the powder out of the cap, because it's not designed for time release.

Thanks Jon!
Still. I would tell your friend not to do that, if she ever has a LA version of this med and tries this, she could overdose very easily. If she has trouble swallowing her meds, she should address that with her doctor, but no one should just take it on faith that they can crush up their medications.
They are also working on making it so if these kinds of meds are crushed, the narcotic in them becomes useless, But I dont think those are on the market yet.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:38 PM   #9
(female)

tammy143 HB User

Sorry took me a while to reply!!! Thank you to all of you!!!

To answer your question....It is oxycodone not oxycotin! It is IR not ER!! I think she is doing it to abuse it!! She does not take it in water or food!! She just opens it pours the powder in her mouth and drinks something!!! I however will not do that!! It is not worth it!! I would be so screwed if I had my meds taken away for being stupid!!! Thank you again though!!! I just do not know why she is so stupid!!! I never even noticed it was a problem tell I recieved the same meds as her>>>I then noticed she was taking them incorrectly!!!

Closed Thread