It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007, 04:56 AM   #1
(male)

mike j HB User
severe neck pain any suggestions medication change

I'm having problems with severe whiplash. This is the second time this has happened. My doctor sent me to have physical therapy. He seems to be saying to me there is not much they can do for this type of injury.

I'm taken 80 mg of OxyContin 2xday ,Dilaudid 4mg 5xday. And as needed for breakthrough.I would appreciate any suggestions. I do get sleepy during the day and my doctor refuses to prescribe anything for sleepiness. I'm very happy with my doctor. He is very compassionate. I also had treatment from Swedish medical center pain center with Dr. Irving.
Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks Mike

Old 09-20-2007, 05:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User
Re: severe neck pain any suggestions medication change

Hi Mike,

Any medication of similar strength and dosing would also cause fatigue. Is that the only problem you are having with the meds?

If so, I would stick with it, the sleepiness side effect should wear off in time, and still leave you with pain control. Other meds might not only cause sleepiness but also nausea and vomiting or other side effects.

Have you asked to see a surgeon? you might want to get a second opinion as to weather or not you could benefit from surgery.

HTH, Fabby

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2007, 10:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

I also see Dr Irving. What kind of treatment did he give you...injections?
I have lung and back pain after a bout with pneumonia 4 years ago.
I go see him every year and he uses me as a guinea pig for a couple of months and then sends me back to my primary.

I agree with Fabby that the fogginess should wear off if you just started the medication. If whiplash is muscular maybe a muscle relaxer would help??
Dr Irving tried to add one to my regiment but it didn't help and made me hallucinate...but maybe it would help you.

Have you been to physical therapy? Did it do anything?
The one thing that has worked for me is to tell my doctor how the pain is affecting(effecting? I always get them confused) my daily life. When I told Dr. Irving that I had spent the last month on the couch, in pain, he said,"That's no way to live." and put me back on the meds that were working for me.

I hope some of this helps you. Take care,Mush

Old 09-20-2007, 10:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

One thing that may help, is taking half of the Dilaudid when you have BT pain. I take Oxycontin, and have never had issues with sleepiness, even in the beginning. Dilaudid however, will knock me out! If you can get by with half the dose, it may effect your sleepiness. Just an idea. I also agree that a good muscle relaxer may help. Muscle spasms can cause severe pain. I often don't even know I am having spasms until I take a Flexeril because I am at my wit's end! Then, when the pain subsides, I realize why my pain meds weren't helping, and why the Flexeril did.

Hope this helps and you get some relief soon!

Your Friend,

Amanda

Old 09-21-2007, 06:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just wondering if you ever actually had an MRI to determine if there is something else besides the whiplash going on?was this just kind of a 'guess" type Dx or one based on some level of test results?just wondering since like was stated,whiplash is more of a muscular problem than structural.having an MRI would just rule out or in,other possible issues that you could be dealing with.marcia

Old 09-28-2007, 08:51 PM   #6
(male)

mike j HB User

thank you for your suggestions. I am not getting physical therapy and it seems to be helping. Sorry I could not thank you sooner.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:57 PM   #7
(male)

mike j HB User

I would like to thank you all for the advice.

I am now receiving physical therapy, we will evaluate my situation after we tried this approach. My doctor said we will do an MRI if I do not improve.

He also gave me some muscle relaxers. Thank you for your suggestions my computer was not functioning. You all are great people.

Take care Michael

Old 09-29-2007, 08:11 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

its good to hear you are at least going somewhere with this.i just am wondering why your doc would actually send you to therepy FIRST,before having the MRI?its just that some underlying problems could be made much worse with therepy when you don't have a flippin clue as to what they really are because you just have not actually looked there yet,you know what i mean?i think your doc kind of has it a bit backwards.just MO.hope things go well for you.if i were you tho,i really would ask and push for obtaining that MRI now vs later.its just a simple saftey issue ya know?therepy has been known to actually cause more damage to an already damaged or fragile area when the problems were not really known.it all comes down to the type of therepies involved.its just a risk you shouldn't have to take.please keep us posted.Marcia

Closed Thread