It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
(male)

bcruth5 HB User
Ultram - Suitable for Everyday Use?

I have found that Ultram works very well to control my multiple pain problems. Is it suitable to take it everyday? The pamphlet that comes with it says it is for short term use only. I am not worried about addiction issues, just physical problems associated with long term use.

Thanks for replies.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
Re: Ultram - Suitable for Everyday Use?

I don't know of any. By the way, they just came out with Ultram ER. It is extended release, and is supposed to last 24 hours. It did nothing for my pain, but if it helps you, the ER version may be a great option. I think they recommend it for short-term use due to the risk of dependancy. Dependancy is very different from addiction, and will happen with any opiate taken on a regular basis. Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2007, 06:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Hi bcruth,

I have been on ultram everyday for well over a decade, and it still works for my pain. I am physically dependent on it, but not addicted.

If you pay for your own prescriptions, or even a large co-pay, it may help you also to know that Walmart has 50 mg. Tramadol (not the IR though) on it's $4 generic plan.

HTH, Fabby

Old 09-20-2007, 07:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I always wondered about that warning too? However, I have been on ultram for 1 1/2 years. There is not anything wrong with taking it everyday. I am currently trying to get off if it since I am switching to something else. Yes it is true that if you take it everyday you will become dependent on it meaning that you will go through withdrawal if you suddenly stop taking it. I am doing a slow taper to minimize withdrawal symptoms. Hope that info helps.

Brian

Old 09-22-2007, 08:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

The original intention for Ultram (not sure what they've decided now- lol) was that it be a scheduled medication for daily used for a time period determined by follow up visits with the doc. It's thought to be safe when taken as prescribed, and more effective when taken routinely vs as needed- though a lot of people (including myself) are prescribed it 'as needed'. .....

Old 09-22-2007, 10:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

All of the quicker acting pain meds, vicodin, norco, percocet, were first intended for acute use only, such as post surgical pain, dental proceedures, or things like a broken arm or sprained ankle where you would only need to take them for a week to 10 days.

Doctors had to learn that it was okay to let patients become physically dependent on pain medicine, as new studies showed a very very low incidence of addiction behavior in patients who had for instance overcome cancer, they needed to be tapered to keep them comfortable during the physical withdrawal, but less than 1% of them started addiction behaviors such as doctor shopping, or turning to street drugs. Thats when pain management really started to change.

Its still a hit or miss, there are a lot of medical people out there who still dont know the difference between addiction and dependence, But things are a lot better than they were 15 years ago, and getting better all the time.

HTH, Fabby

Closed Thread