It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007, 09:37 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

kaydenxo HB User
is this right?

hello
i have't been on here for a long time but i have severe fibro, djd, as well as two compression fractures in my t3 and 4 , i lost my insurance so im seeing a family doc for the time being, and she is working with me for my pain management. but my question is , sincee i have no insurance she writes me ten day scripts for my pain meds. this is a new doc im seeing , every other doc i saw would allow me to get my script one day before i run out, just to be safe, she will not allow that, she makes me wait until the end of the tenth day on a ten day script, there also has been a time where my ten days ended up on a saturday , she wouldn't allow me to get my meds on friday she said it was early and a violation of my pain agreement, so i had to wait until monday is this right???? i don't think its fair, she keeps telling me that im violating my pain agreement, but my prev docs would let me get my meds 2 days early just to be safe. has this happened to anyone else does anyone know anyone know a good doc in northeastern pa that can help me, this doc isn't too good.now she is telling me i have to see a pm doc, im waiting on my approval for med assistance, until then i can do nothing, can she really just stop treating me just because she wants to?

Old 09-20-2007, 11:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User
Re: is this right?

Sure she can. Is it possible for you to go to a 24 hour pharmacy? They are usually open 365 days a year, so it doesnt matter what day your refill is due, she can tell them on friday to fill it and let you pick it up on saturday or sunday. I have to also wait until the day when I am completely out to get my refill, its just the way some doctors like to do it, but if you get up and go in the morning, you dont miss a dose.

I dont know why any doctor does this, My new doctor has me on an every 28 day refill, and it's so much easier. I know and he knows that every 4th tuesday, I am out of meds and need to pick them up. I call on mondays, then tuesday I pick up my prescriptions at his office and get them filled.

Some doctors are more strict than others, thats just the way it is, and a lot of them would choose not to help chronic patients at all if they HAD to keep us on our meds no matter what, They are risking their license to practice by trusting us with narcotics, and they not only have a right, they have a responsibility to cut someone off cold if they suspect anything isnt they way they want it.

I hope you can get on the 28 day thing, that really helped me, I hated when it was 'one month' sometime the pharmacy would make me wait 32 days so for 2 whole days I would have no meds.

HTH, Fabby

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2007, 06:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

I agree with Fabby. My pain doc also makes me wait until I am completely out, though I haven't had to wait 48 hours before. I agree that you need a pain doctor, and maybe they will work better with you. Your current doctors rules seem arbitrary and punative. You don't need that with everything else you are going through, none of us do.

By the way, I also have fibro. My GP wanted to put me on Cymbalta for months and I fought him on it. I trust him, but I was wary as I have tried other anti-depressant before, and I wasn't clinically depressed. He explained however that Cymbalta can e used for pain only.

I could not believe how much this med helped my fibro pain! This is by far the best thing I have found for fibro yet! It also helped with my irritability and moodiness. My fiance has taken note, and is really liking the results. I had a few side effects initially, but after day three, they were gone completely. I highly recommend that you try this med. It's worked wonder for me, and I hope it can help you too!

Good Luck!

Amanda

Old 09-21-2007, 01:18 PM   #4
(female)

morgyporgy HB User

okay things like this really p**s me off. if i understand correctly, you have a pain contract with this doctor. a contract is not just to make sure the patient complies but also states that the doctor is managing your pain if you comply. this is not a one way deal. if your doctor agreed to manage your pain, then making you go 48 hours without your meds is not compliance on her end. if we as pain patients are expected to comply with an agreement than they are too.

i have a pain contract with my PM as well. it stated my responsibilities as his patient but he also has in there his responsibility as my doctor to manage that pain. i have a wonderful PM and after being with them for over a year I have not had any issues. i do not have insurance either so he will actually find ways for me to save money and ask me if i can afford something before he does it or prescribes it. in the first year i was there they actually GAVE me my cymbalta every month. i am blessed.

it is hard enough to deal with chronic pain but to have to deal with things like this is awful. i really am sorry that you had to go through this. i would defintly talk to her about this in a non-accusatory manner and ask her what can be done when your refill is due on a saturday. once again, i am truly sorry and remember that most of the time us CP'ers need to be our own advocates. God bless you and keep us updated.

Closed Thread