It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2007, 06:14 AM   #1
(male)

acaptainn HB User
Fired my P.M., should i write to his boss ?

I feel ive been mistreated by my P.M. an fired him, do you think i should tell my story to his boss ? or just move on and let it go ??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2007, 06:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User
Re: Fired my P.M., should i write to his boss ?

It depends. Was this verbal abuse, or violence, or do you consider it more a case of medical ineptitude?
If the guy is just a jerk, I would say move on, you could drop a note to his boss, but I wouldnt expect much to happen from that.
If he was abusive to you in anyway, or practiced or failed to practice medicine in such a way that you were harmed, I would go straight to the AMA and report him, If you are in the states.
May I ask what he did? Sometimes people get mad at their doctors but its really more of a personality issue than anything that would require reporting.
In other words, its impossible to answer your question one way or the other without more info.

HTH, Fabby

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2007, 06:57 AM   #3
(male)

whitfield HB User

Be Careful--As Fabby said it all depends on what happened. It could come back to bite you--need more information. Roger

Old 09-21-2007, 06:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

I would definetly write the letter. You have nothing to lose, and you could be helping other people now, and in the future by speaking up. I say write the letter. Be respectful and objective, while detailing your complainy. We can always proof read it here (without names or other identifying factors of course). You never know when your speaking up can help someone else.

Let us know what you decide to do!

Your Friend,

Amanda

Old 09-21-2007, 07:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Hello all!!

Acaptainn- Are you able to give us more details as to what led up to you firing your doctor so we can understand more about the situation. It's hard to give advice or words of wisdom without knowing a bit more. If you are comfortable/able to trust us, please give us more information.

I'm really sorry you are having a hard time right now, but do want to support you. Take care, and please post back...

Old 09-21-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
(male)

acaptainn HB User

Im at work now, so i dont have time to go into full detail. Basically i believe i was undertreated in the med dept. While having evry test and procedure known to man, i was compliant for 2 yrs while complaining of 24 hr a day level 8 pain, i has numerous blocks ,epid.,trigger point inj, etc, they would nvr give me b/t meds , eventually i started medicating myself, that lasted a few weeks , i went in told him asked for help,, his face went cold and he cut me off,, I was truthfull and asked for help, an got tossed into a month of horrid pain.
His nurse pract., listened to my story yesterday an gave me the name of who is in charge, she seemed sympathetic, also i had asked for my records weeks ago as i was terminating my relationship there an nvr got a response. I did tell her ystrday that im terminating my relationship there (agian), an agian askd for my records so far no response.
It seems to me he was more about what procedures he could get paid for.And not my treatment

Old 09-21-2007, 09:06 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

It sure sounds that way. You would not believe how much money they get for these procedures, and really no money for prescribing meds. There is a theory called "pseudo addiction". It sounds like you have suffered from this, and your pain doctor did not recognize it. I hope either way you are able to find a doctor that will finally help you.

Good Luck and Welcome to the Boards!

Amanda

Old 09-22-2007, 12:11 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

There is a time with most people in pain management, when we feel our pain is undermedicated. The right thing to do, and what you did, was to ask for more and/or breakthrough meds. A lot of doctors don't use breakthrough meds, mine is one.

At that point, you have a very important choice to make.
You can try and find a new doctor.
You can stick with what you have and make do.
You can choose to self medicate.

If you choose the third option, you must know that you are only one UA away from being cut off. If doctors didnt have to stop treating people who abused their meds, then why would anyone stay on a dose they didnt think worked? I am NOT saying that you werent in pain, that it wasnt a difficult choice, but there are consequences.

I try and encourage every one on this board who feels their needs are not being met, that they are not being listened to, to KEEP LOOKING, find a new doctor. I know its human nature to get worn down by pain, and one time deciding to take extra is enough to start some people sliding into addiction.

People want it both ways. They want all the pain meds they think they need, and right now on that addiction boards there is a letter from someone who wonders why doctors are allowed to let a patient become addicted?

The truth is that doctors take a HUGE risk by knowingly allowing us to become physically dependent, and they have to trust us to be careful and report any signs of psychological addiction, at the same time, they have to watch every person in their practice that is on these meds for any sign of addiction.

Every doctor that takes the hippocratic oath first promises to 'Do no harm'.
They realize addiction is a huge 'harm', it literally destroys whole lives, and familys. They have to balance out that desire to help us treat the horrible pain we live in with the fear of addiction, not to mention fear of losing their lisence if the DEA thinks they didnt stop it in time, and possible law suits.

I hope you are able to find a way to treat your pain that doesnt hurt you physically or spiritually, I would recommend you see an addictionologist.

Best of luck to you.
~Fabby

Old 09-22-2007, 08:34 AM   #9
(male)

acaptainn HB User

thanks evryone, FAB that makes a lotta sense, i have another thread searching for an addictionologist here, i cant find one on the net in my area.

more opinions ?? please and advise on finding that ADDICTIONOLOGIST in my area.

I do have an addiction problem i also DO have real pain, im assuming an addictionologist is appropriate for me ????????

Old 09-22-2007, 10:43 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User
Cool Re: Fired my P.M., should i write to his boss ?

Yep, thats great, They can help you find ways of dealing with your pain that wont put you at serious risk, they sometimes even use narcotics, but help you find a way to do it with a lot of support and accountability.
I applaud you for your courage and tenacity, dont give up until you find a way to have a happy life, it's what every one of us deserves.
I saw your other post, I hope someone in your area can recommend an addictionologist for you.

Take care,
Fabby

Old 09-23-2007, 11:12 AM   #11
(male)

acaptainn HB User
Re: Fired my P.M., should i ,,back to the originall question

ive a # to call monday, thank u all !!

SHOULD I WRITE HIS BOSS OR NO

Old 09-23-2007, 01:01 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

If it will make you feel better to write to him, Go for it. But I doubt if he will 'get in trouble' or anything. Up to you. If it were me I would probably just move on.

JMHO, Fabby

Old 09-28-2007, 01:56 PM   #13
(male)

acaptainn HB User

I dint write his boss . I did have a nice talk with his nurse she talked to him,
And i got a call today with an appt. date nxt month, he apparantly has decided he should have reacted diff. There is a promise we will both be honest and communicative , and i will proly have med counts an UA,s unannounced, Im fine with that. As i told the nurse im not seeking meds im seeking pain relief.

It may have helpd that i reminded him that the last time i was there i asked not for opiates but for suboxone ,methadone or anthing he might advise.

His reaction at that visit was to shut me down and off.As soon as i told him i had abused my meds and asked for help. I dont think he evr heard me mention the alternative meds.You shoulda seen his face when he saw me in the room with the left ovr meds sitting beside me that day. There was no reasoning or talkin to him.

Anyway i think something good has come from it .. (_)_) (_(_) (_)_) < happy dance.

WISH ME LUCK !

Old 09-28-2007, 09:05 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Acap,
That is great news! I wish you every success. Please keep posting and let us know how youre doing, balancing pain management and addiction issues is something many people face, and your courage and willingness to share your expieriences can help so many people.

WTG!~Fabby

Closed Thread