It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User
RSD questions

What are the symptoms of rsd? How is it diagnosed? Are there tests?
I'm wondering if my husband has this after three surgeries to repair a shattered calcaneus. Thanks for any input.~Mush

Old 09-24-2007, 12:14 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sunnycal HB User
Re: RSD questions

You can find lots of information on the RSD board of these healthboards, but I will try to give you a quick answer. (My husband has had RSD for at least 5 years.) Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, or Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, as it is called now, begins with an event--surgery, injury, IV, nerve injury, etc. usually in a limb. Pain from that event continues out of proportion to the cause and for longer than usual. Diagnosis is made on the basis of signs and symptoms, since there are not any tests that are really reliable (some doctors will order a triple phase bone scan, EMG, etc.) Doctors look for symptoms in four categories: sensory--excessive pain from pin-***** type touch or pain from light touch--feather, wind; vasomotor--difference in skin temperature or color between limbs; sudomotor/edema: edema (swelling) or sweating; and motor/trophic: decreased range of motion or weakness, and/or changes in hair, nails or skin. It is really a matter of eliminating any other possible diagnoses (peripheral neuropathy, etc.).
Treatment may involve sympathetic nerve blocks, physical therapy, pain medication, epidural blocks, spinal cord stimulator.
Hope this helps.
Sunny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2007, 10:30 AM   #3
(male)

JoJo921 HB User
Re: RSD questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by trowftd3 View Post
What are the symptoms of rsd? How is it diagnosed? Are there tests?
I'm wondering if my husband has this after three surgeries to repair a shattered calcaneus. Thanks for any input.~Mush
My wife was diagnosed with rsd about 8 years ago and usually it happens after another injury of some sort. For example my wife tore her rotater cuff and after a period of time she developed rsd. The symptoms she had were burning sensations so bad she could not even stand to have an artical of clothing on her skin. It was chronic pain throughout her body. Used to be that the only tratment for rsd was an opiate treatment plan, however there is a drug on the market now called nuerontin and it is supposed to work really well with those diagnosed with rsd.

Closed Thread