It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User
Pain Meds & Antidepressants....Are they supposed to go together?

I am not sure what is going on, I have been on Wellbutrin XL for several Years
But when I have to take pain meds, I end up depressed and it just gets worse.
Is it ok, to mix the 2?
Thanks,
Stardust

Old 09-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
Re: Pain Meds & Antidepressants....Are they supposed to go together?

It could be the combo you are taking. The pain meds may make you depressed and the Wellbutrin is not being effective in treating it. I took Elavil (an older anti-depressant) early on in my chronic pain journey. I slept better, but I continued to be irritable, somewhat depressed, ect. I finally stopped taking it.

When my doctor recommended Cymbalta, I fought him on it for months. I finally decided to give it a try, and I am so glad I did. My pain, irritability, and depression are all much better. You have also been on this med for several years. It may be time for a change. Your body adjusts to anything to take for a long period of time. Meanwhile, your body chemistry continually changes.

I would talk to your doctor about it, and see what you can do. I do feel like there is a combo out there that can help both your pain, and depression.

Good Luck!

Amanda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Hi Amanda,
I'm not able to take SSRI's, everything they come out with almost puts me in the Hospital. When my Shrink gave up and said there is nothing left, I had done my own research and begged him to let me try Wellbutrin, and we had a winner.
I did try Cymbalta once when it first came out, and the notes I have just says I slept all day & all night. I couldn't wake up, drive, nothing. I just couldn't function.
However it was the closest thing to Wellbutrin that I'm taking.
Maybe I should try it one more time at a lower dose. If it doesn't work I can always go back to wellbutrin.
I think Wellbutrin has a stimulant in it. That maybe why I can take it.
When I tried Neurontin, I was driving and couldn't remember how! I couldn't think, I was running red lights and stopping at green ones, I never knew how I got home.
Lyrica , Elavil, Lexapro and all the others, I've tried and had a severe breathing problem and always ended up in the hospital.
But there must be a reason my Shrink says not to stay on pain meds for very long when I am taking Wellbutirin.
And with Double knee surgery and 2 spinal fusions, I HAVE to take pain meds.
I hate this depression and don't know if the meds cause it or not.
Thanks, Terri

Old 09-24-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User

Hi Stardust

I take pain pills every day for chronic pain and also take Elavil every night. The combination works well for me. Take care.

Music

Old 09-24-2007, 10:37 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

72575 HB User

I think it is pretty common to be on anti-depressants and pain meds in combination with one another.

I am on 20mg of Lexapro and 150mg Wellbutrin XL per day, plus 40mg of Oxycontin every 12 hours.

I have never had any problems with them. I know that some people do though, and they usually end up just changing the type of meds or the dose, going from what I have read in the past here and other places.

I have found that the anti-depressants actually help with the pain, too. I'd like to try the Cymbalta again but it just took too long to start working, I hit a really bad low and had to get right back on the Lexapro. I like the Lexapro because it has always worked extremely quickly for me, usually taking effect within 1-3 days and making the difference I need when I need it.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

For some reason the Lortab 10's, Fentanyl 50's and the Wellbutrin 300LX causes me to be depressed. Yet, I have never heard of anyone else on here with this problem.
Terri

Old 09-25-2007, 10:47 AM   #7
(female)

morgyporgy HB User

this is a good example of how different people are. someone mentioned the cymbalta put them to sleep all day so they had to quit taking it. my experience was completely opposite. i only took 30 mg a day for about 9 months and it made me feel like someone shot caffiene directly into my blood stream. the dr. eventually took me off it, thank goodness. it didn't really do much for the pain anyway. my neighbor takes the cymbalta for her pain and depression and she absolutely loves it. she has had great success with it.

sometimes i think it's bad to research too much or to get too many opinions on a certain med. mind over matter is a very power thing and the power of suggestion is as well. i for one will admit to believing something enough that it happens. just a thought. i do wish you luck with finding the right combo for you. many many CP'ers take these 2 meds together. it really is just a matter of finding what's right for you. Morgyporgy

Old 09-25-2007, 12:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Thanks for the advice, I guess your right. Maybe if I stop thinking about it, the depression will start to lift a bit.
Stardust

Old 09-25-2007, 01:45 PM   #9
(female)

morgyporgy HB User

oh no please do not think i was saying to ignore the depression. definetly talk to your doctor about that. i was talking about reading too much about a new medicine before you try it. if your meds are making you feel more depressed than definetly speak to your doctor. depression should never be ignored. it just may be the medicine combo you are on. there are many out there so please don't give up and please do not ignore it. god bless, morgyporgy

Old 09-25-2007, 03:17 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Hey Terri,

I still think it may be the combination of those drugs. Cymbalta is out...obviously...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzz.... Ask your doctor what he thinks and see if he can get creative. There are SOOO many anti-depressants out there. I wonder though, if your doctor actually has something against you taking pain meds on a regular basis?? What is the problem with Wellbutrin and pain meds?? Is there one?

Your Friend,

Amanda

Old 09-25-2007, 10:17 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Thank You,
No, I won't ignore the depression, just trying to figure out what is going on.

If I remember right from many years ago, he said saomething about certain pain meds and certains Anti-Depressants don't go well together and can actually cause the depression to get worse.

I'm going to get in early and see and ask him if he has any suggestions, Because I HAVE to have both!

Your Freind,
Terri

Old 09-26-2007, 09:45 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

One thing to keep in mind is that it is actually suggested when on antidepresssants that your dosage and or medication be reviewed every 9 months for it's effectiveness. Over time they are not longer effective. It may be a case that you are truly depressed and it is not related to the combo of medication. It might actually be time to make a change either higher dosage or via adding an additional antidepressant or changing it completely.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:01 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Hello!
Yes,I have my meds checked every 90 days.
So I went to my GP and he changed my Hormones (Surgical Hysterectomy) and within 24 hours the depression was gone.
Thank God, I feel like someone opened my eyes!
Thanks everyone for all your help. I went to my PM and thats a WHOLE other story, I think is serious. I have to start another post for that.
Thanks Again,
Stardust

Old 09-28-2007, 03:23 PM   #14
(male)

3wilds HB User

I read your message and I just had to say that I've also had 2 fusions and suffer from a few different chronic spine problems and I ended up in the hospital last year because of taking effexor and I'm using methadone and hdyro for my pain. First they thought I had emphasyma because of the breathing problems then a week later they put me ICU because they thought I might be having a heart attack. They eventually let me go home and never did figure out the problem but I said what about this effexor medicine. Its just a coincidence that my problems started when I started the med but sure a **** when I stopped the effexor I felt better. Just a story you might want to hear. I wont' touch any more anitdepressants any more.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:24 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Thanks
I really appriciate your advice. I won't take anything other than wellbutrin, because of my clinical Depression.
But I think I will read up on it again since alot of meds cause back pain as a side effect.
Terri

Closed Thread