It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007, 10:03 AM   #1
(male)

leebrown61 HB User
Unhappy Bad Life, Pain, Last Appt With Doc. Support Please

Hi everyone,

I have been really sad lately. I hurt a lot but my meds help with the pain and get me by. I wish they would last longer but oh well.
I live in VT. now and have been trying to get transferred back down south for 18 months. My dad has terminal cancer and I want to live closer. Plus I don't care for Vermont. The winters last months and it gets really cold and makes me hurt worse. I have DJD, Arthritis in my hip, herniated disc, and some sciatica, occasionally.
My family practice doctor treats my pain and he has been pretty good. one 7.5 vicodin twice a day and 1 4 mg dialadid twice a day. 5 mg valium at bedtime. Been on this for like 2 years. Does not work as well as it once did. Well, it works but wears off quickly but the doctor has never offered to change meds even when I have mentioned they wear off. He is retiring at the end of this month. I have my last appointment with him tomorrow to follow up on an MRI I had on my knee. My knee has bothered me for awhile and about a month ago it swelled up like a beach ball and really hurts. The swelling went down after about a week but the ache continues. Maybe I have arthritis there too.
I have also been having a lot of pain in my left arm, the lower part. It burns and aches. I think I may be crazy. I am 45 and should not have all of this stufff wrong. I have never even mentioned the arm pain to my doctor, I don't want him to think I am crazy.
I am not due for refills until October 8 but plan to ask him to write me refills tomorrow to get me by until I see the new doctor on October 25. I don't know what the new doc will do to treat me.
I guess there is no point in really discussing much with my doc tomorrow. Should I ask if he thinks the new doc will continue my treatment? I have been through all of the shots in the back. P.T., bio feedback, etc until we got the pain somewhat under control with the meds.
Is it normal to have daily constant pain with degenerative disc and arthritis in my back, hip and knee.
Thanks for letting me write. I needed to get it out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2007, 11:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User
Re: Bad Life, Pain, Last Appt With Doc. Support Please

leebrown61,
Hi,
And Welcome to the boards.
I can only answer a couple questions. I also have Degenerative Joint And Degenerative Disk Disease. I had a Lumbar Fusion at the S-1 L-5. Almost 3 years ago. My back doesn't catch or go out on me anymore, However the area is still very painful if I do to much and is very achy with mild pain if I do nothing at all.

I was told the fusion would last 5 years. But recently found out the L4 above the fusion is already going out. I have Osteoarthritis, so I also have very painful knee's, I had both knee's operated on 10 days ago and part of the cartalidge was missing to the bone, he had to fix.

I was never sick, never in pain, nothing till I hit 42. Then BAM, there are so many things my family doesn't believe anything I say. They think I just want attention. And I am 48 now.
But as you mentioned the pain is very real and you haven't even told your Doctor about your arm.

It's very easy to think they won't believe us, or get depressed.
Have you been checked for Osteoarthritis?
As, I mentioned, I have it and it affects ALL joints, The back, knee's, Shoulder, hip, even the TOES!!
I don't remember having a test telling me I have it, I think it was just and Xray or MRI. Probably looking for something else.

It's not the same as regular Arthritis, it does alot more damage, alot faster.
And yes, My pain is constant.
Which is why I am wondering if you should ask your Doctor about it.
Just a suggestion,
Stardust

Old 09-25-2007, 06:27 AM   #3
(male)

leebrown61 HB User

Thanks Stardust. I do have Osteoarthritis. I have had it for quite a while. It is in my back, neck, my hip, and I guess I will find out today if is also in my knee. All I know is that I hurt. The pain meds do help some, bring it down to a 3-4 but don't last long but I guess that I am lucky to get anything to help the pain so that is why I don't complain much to my doctor. He is a good doctor but I see the new guy next month and you never know.
Thanks for responding again. Sometimes it feels so lonely.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Leebrown61,
Your Welcome. I was tired of taking pills, my stomach was burning from them, So my Pain Management Doc put me on the patch (Fentanyl 50. At first I was scared that it would be too strong ( I know they make a (25). So I came on here and with the support of these very caring people, convinced me that if the Doctor thought I needed a 50, then it couldn't hurt to try it.
I did.
And I am really glad too. I am not completely out of pain, but pretty close and not drugged either, so Thanks to this Board I feel 100% better. And my stomach isn't burning anymore and I don't have to drag pills with me.
The patch is only changed every 48 to 72 hours depending on your Doctor, Mine is change every 72.

You mentioned you wanted to move back down south, where at down south?
Your freind,
Stardust AKA Terri

Old 09-25-2007, 03:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Hey Leebrown!

I am waving to you from the South! WAVE!!! Alabama to be exact. Like Terri I want to know where you are going to be moving to. I am so sorry about your father's illness and your pain. It can be so lonely and frustrating when you feel like you are fighting a battle on your own. There are people out there......HI!......that know what that feels like.

I just wanted you to know that you are not alone. You have friends here, and it will get better. There have been times I had a hard time believeing that, and during those times I needed to lean on other people to help me through. We're here. Lean all you need to.

Welcome My Friend!

Your Bama Pal,

Amanda

Old 09-25-2007, 05:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User
Cool Re: Bad Life, Pain, Last Appt With Doc. Support Please

Hi Lee!

We have 'talked' before on here, It's good to hear from you again, But I wish your news was better! Please ask the doctor for an antidepressant, I know you dont like them, but chronic pain is so depressing and so are the meds you are taking, I also think you should let the new guy know right away that you need something stronger, when he sees you have given the old doses a try for 2 years, and are compliant, he shouldnt have any trouble raising you or switching you to something stronger.
I hope your transfer comes through, New england winters are no fun, from what I have heard!

Take care and I look forward to hearing from you again, hang in there!
Your Friend, Fabby

Old 09-25-2007, 08:49 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Just wanted to chime in and say I know how you're feeling.
I lost my dad to cancer. It's hard to deal with daily pain without anything else going on. I'm sorry you are going through this and hope you get your transfer soon and great pain control. Hang in there.~Mush

Old 09-26-2007, 07:11 AM   #8
(male)

leebrown61 HB User
Talking Re: Bad Life, Pain, Last Appt With Doc. Support Please

Thanks for the replies everyone. It really is good to have people to chat with. I am pretty much alone up here. No friends. no girlfriend, and all my family down south. That's ok, I am a big boy.
I am trying to get a transfer to Charleston S.C. but I will take anywhere close to Georgia (that is where my folks live). My dad may be starting intensive chemo soon. We get the results of his bone scan this Friday. I am depressed and I know it but I am afraid to say anything. I feel that sometimes doctors treat you different if you are depressed. They tend to than blame everything on your depression. I got my MRI results on my knee and no tear. Good news. The doc said something about the alignment but I did not understand it. All I know is that my knee aches a lot and fairly often. I see the new doc next month and will mention it if it is still bothering me.
Thank you all again so much. I hope and pray to join all of you southerners soon.
I am looking for friends.
Lee

Last edited by moderator2; 09-27-2007 at 05:48 PM.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:23 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Lee,

I know what you are saying about the way doctors treat you, and youre right that USED to be true. Not anymore. Hell, Half the country is on prozac, lol.
It isnt seen as a 'mental illness' anymore, but as a chemical imbalance that is easily treated. the vast majority of chronic pain patients are either on something for depression or have at some time been offered it.
You can get st. johns wart in the health food store, that is a natural anti depressant, but make sure you ask about drug interactions, if you arent comfortable asking your doctor, just ask your pharmacist instead.
The over the counter herbal remedys can actually be quite strong and should always be considered as if you were adding a new med.
But I urge you to discuss this with your doctor, Try something for 2 weeks, if you dont feel better you can quit taking it and no harm done but I promise you your doctor wont give you the stink eye, LOL.

Hang in there, Lee
~Fabby

Old 09-27-2007, 03:55 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Hi Lee,

The MRI on my knee's only picked up a tiny bit of Arthitis, But when they did the surgery anyway, it was a mess inside and 1/3 of the cartalidge missing that didn't show up either.
You Freind,
Terri

Last edited by moderator2; 09-27-2007 at 05:48 PM. Reason: do not respond to questions about the posting policy

Old 09-28-2007, 04:01 PM   #11
(female)

calibabe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebrown61 View Post
Hi everyone,

I have been really sad lately. I hurt a lot but my meds help with the pain and get me by. I wish they would last longer but oh well.
I live in VT. now and have been trying to get transferred back down south for 18 months. My dad has terminal cancer and I want to live closer. Plus I don't care for Vermont. The winters last months and it gets really cold and makes me hurt worse. I have DJD, Arthritis in my hip, herniated disc, and some sciatica, occasionally.
My family practice doctor treats my pain and he has been pretty good. one 7.5 vicodin twice a day and 1 4 mg dialadid twice a day. 5 mg valium at bedtime. Been on this for like 2 years. Does not work as well as it once did. Well, it works but wears off quickly but the doctor has never offered to change meds even when I have mentioned they wear off. He is retiring at the end of this month. I have my last appointment with him tomorrow to follow up on an MRI I had on my knee. My knee has bothered me for awhile and about a month ago it swelled up like a beach ball and really hurts. The swelling went down after about a week but the ache continues. Maybe I have arthritis there too.
I have also been having a lot of pain in my left arm, the lower part. It burns and aches. I think I may be crazy. I am 45 and should not have all of this stufff wrong. I have never even mentioned the arm pain to my doctor, I don't want him to think I am crazy.
I am not due for refills until October 8 but plan to ask him to write me refills tomorrow to get me by until I see the new doctor on October 25. I don't know what the new doc will do to treat me.
I guess there is no point in really discussing much with my doc tomorrow. Should I ask if he thinks the new doc will continue my treatment? I have been through all of the shots in the back. P.T., bio feedback, etc until we got the pain somewhat under control with the meds.
Is it normal to have daily constant pain with degenerative disc and arthritis in my back, hip and knee.
Thanks for letting me write. I needed to get it out.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but YES you will continue to have pain with DDD(or DJD) and arthritis, especially if it is in your back, your hip and your knee. My problems started when I was 43! It was like I went to be one night and the next day it was like someone turned the lights off. I could not believe it. I have been in PM for approximately 4 yrs now and while I still have pain, it is kept somewhat under control. I am on Norco, Avinza and Soma. I know that this regimine will have to change shortly and I have been through several changes all in an effort to keep me as comfortable as possible.

You need to understand that there are no magic cures or fixes for this type of medical problem. It is something that we just have to learn to live with. I will not go through surgery, first off because I have yet to see anyone who has had successful surgery on the back. I don't want to be worse off then I already am. Secondly I don't think I could take having to be on my back for 3-4 months with limited to no movement. That would definately get me very down. So I figure as long as I have had back trouble (accident 1987 at amusement park in NJ) I will live with what I have now and wait hopefully for them to develop something that works.

The best thing I can tell you to do is read as much as you can on your particular ailments and then do what you need to do in order to keep the pain at bay the best way possible. I am a little troubled that after 2 yrs you have not had any adjustments to your meds but that is not out of the ordinary also. Mention it to the new doctor and tell him you are having breakthrough pain and you need to do something a little different. There are any number of medications that they can use together that will give you more relief than you are getting now.

You mention pain in your arm. I get that occasionally as well. Sometimes like yesterday, it was tingling and got very stiff. I just brushed it off as another in yet a long line of symptoms that pop up and show themselves. I will tell my PM about it when I see him this week. Hopefully it doesn't result in my having to have another CT or MRI done.

Anyway, give this new doctor a chance and if things don't work out see if you can possibly get another physician to take over your care. That is the best advice I can give at this point. Sometimes it takes seeing another physician.

Closed Thread