It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

letthatsinkin HB User
Update on my situation....

Hey Everyone,

Not sure if you all remember me... but I posted here a couple months ago about the fiasco I went through. I was on percocet from my chiro/gp team... and went to the dentist and accepted a narcotic pain med and then the insurance company wrote letters to all the doctors "outing" me as a drug seeker and they all refused to treat/rx me.

After a couple of month of total agony one of my coworkers was telling me about her doctor, who is a pain management doctor. I decided that I didn't need to continue to suffer because of some insurance company.

I went and we discussed my medical condition (3 buldging discs... not terrible but still leaves me in a LOT of pain) and treatment options. He suggested some epidural injections, and I told him that if he thought it would improve my condition I was willing to try it. He also had me on Cymbalta and lyrica when that didn't work. Had the epi - no luck. Kind of frustrating.

Since the epi I have gone back and told him that I am still in constant pain. He has put me on fentanyl patches 25mcg. I was give this med earlier in the year (but never took it because of the things I read on here) but this time I decided I was going to give it a go.

What a relief!!! I put the patch on, and within an hour I was completely pain free. I couldn't believe it. No side effects - a litle woozy the first day I tried it but that hasnt come back.

There is a problem to this story though, after the 48th hour the pain starts coming back... and by the time I am a few hours into the 3rd day I am in a lot of pain again. Do any doctors prescribe it every 48 hours?? I would prefer not to take an oral med on the 3rd day... just not sure what direction he will want to go... argh

I kind of get pissy on the 3rd day because for the first 2 days I'm doing soooooo well going out and doing things outdoors and having a LIFE and then on the 3rd day I'm back to being in pain again.

Oh, about the patch sticking... I found that band aid brand TOUGH "extra large" strips are a wonderful thing. They are JUST big enough to cover the patch, and are made with a wonderful material that moves with your body, no crinkling. I have to put the patch (backwards) on the bandaid so it lines up properly and then onto my skin.... but I can go 3 days showering and ebverything else and that patch doesnt move an INCH...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2007, 03:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
Re: Update on my situation....

Hey,

So glad you are through that awful time and finally getting some relief! Many docs prescribe the patch to be changed every 48 hours instead of 72 because so many people have the same experience as you. I would talk to the doctor face to face and tell him your concerns. I am unsure as to what this particular doctor will do. Some write the patch to be changed every 48 hours, some add a break-thru med to take that third day. Just tell them what you've told us, and I think he'll help you. Good Luck, and so glad you are doing better!

Amanda

Old 09-24-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

letthatsinkin HB User
Re: Update on my situation....

Thanks,

I feel like a whole new person, even the people in my life have told me that I seem like I am "happier". I think I feel better becuase before the only real relief I got was to lay in bed, which I unfortunately did a whole lot of. It's so great to be able to go to the movie theater without being in agony and constantly trying to stretch my neck to get it to "crack" to get some relief.

I plan on just going to my next appointment and telling him how great the patch is working ... for the first 2 days. I will let him tell me what he thinks is best, I trust him to do what is best... since he has got me this far already.

The last situation I was in was real $hitty but if nothing else I have definitely learned a lesson - I will not accept an rx from any other doctor if it has anything remotely to do with pain. I don't trust my insurance company (express scripts) after what they did last time, I wanted to contact a lawyer about what they did to me earlier in the year (sending me into months of agony) but I just wanted to get better.... that's all I really wanted - and now i am there!

Closed Thread