It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2007, 12:02 PM   #1
(male)

csx333 HB User
Optimal Dose of Cymbalta for Chronic Pain/Depression?

I am on 120 mg of Cymbalta nightly, 10/325 of Percocet four times/day and 75 mg of Lyrica twice a day. My Dr. wants me to move to 15o mg of Lyrica twice a day in the near future.

Anyone have an opinion on whether I am on too high a dosage of Cymbalta? If so what do you suggest? I appreciate your assistance and i do indeed "feel your pain."

Last edited by csx333; 09-25-2007 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2007, 12:39 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Re: Optimal Dose of Cymbalta for Chroinc Pain/Depression?

You really can't base what's good for you on another's experience. For you 120mg of Cymbalta might be perfect.

For me, I can't tolerate more than 30mg daily. I tried 60mg and it was just too much.

steve

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2007, 03:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

It also depends on the type of pain that you are experiencing. I would guess since you are taking cymbalta and lyrica that you have nerve pain. I take Lyrica (600 mg) yeah that is pretty much the max although I saw one person on here that is on 750mg/day. I believe the max on cymbalta is 240mg but most docs won't go over 120mg because the side effects get progressively worse the higher the dose especially over 120mg. I would definitely suggest going higher on the Lyrica and sticking with your current dose of cymbalta. Just my 2 cents. Oh, yes I did try the Cymbalta but couldn't tolerate that since it sent me manic. Not a good thing. Hope that helps.

Brian

Last edited by brianpain33; 09-25-2007 at 03:08 PM.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

My psychologist stated that everyone "optimal" dose was different, it all depends on what works for you. Obviously if the side effects are out weighing any benefit, then the dose would need to be adjusted, and/or a new medication prescribed. I am on 60mgs of Cymbalta, but they have suggested that I double the dose. I have seen good results, and I guess they are thinking that I may get even more relief with a higher dose.

Also, I may suggest that your doctor may find that a long-acting medication, with a short-acting such as percocet, may be better for you as far as pain control. I used to be on that dose of percocet 4X's daily, and was still having problems with my pain control. My doctor started me on oxycontin (the long-acting form of oxycodone), with percocet for break-thru pain. That has worked much better, and I get better relief with this system. Discuss your goals with your doctor and what the pain is not allowing you to do. I needed to work, and the percocet was not allowing me to do that. I also needed to be able to do normal things around the house, which I couldn't do. When I really told my doctor what my goals were, and that I was unable to reach those goals due to my pain levels, he worked with me more.

Hope that Helps!

Good Luck!

Last edited by butrfligirl28; 09-25-2007 at 04:12 PM.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:19 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

I too have tried the 60mg of Cymbalta and got kind of spacey. The 30's though just don't seem to do the job anymore. Maybe it's time to space out and go to 60.

Closed Thread