It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
Exclamation Need help, advise, opinions

Hi all.....I need some advise. I have an appt. with a PM Dr. on Monday and want to make sure I get the most out of the visit.

I was injured at work May '06. Cervical , left shoulder, lumbar, knee and ankle. It has been the game of all games with WC since then. Different PT facilities every couple of months. No one was comfortable working on all 5 body parts and I can't tell which one is worse. They all hurt.

Had some ankle PT (took one year for the swelling to go down). Have tendonitis in 2 tendons. Knee has never had an MRI done or any PT. It buckles and now it's starting to hurt down the center of the knee cap, inside the knee and the back of it burns and throbs at times. Lumbar has been injured 3 times. 4 bulged disks. Cervical bone spurs, stenosis, bulged disls, possible pinched nerve at the C7. SHoulder had surgery April ;07. 10 bone spurs, tip of the acromium bone taken off and a 2 inch rotator cuff repair. I take nothing for pain. Nothing is being offerd to me by the Dr.s I have been seeing. I have been living with the pain. Shoulder is worse now thatn before surgery, neck, lumbar throb constantly, knee still buckles, hand and forearm on side of shoulder surgery throbs at night.

Needless to say my mood is horrible. I am either snapping at my family or crying. I know there is a better way to live but I haven't found it yet. I have no problem working hard in PT. No more steroid injections as I aquired cataracts very quickly and had to have surgery on both eyes with in a week's time.
Aren't there meds out there that help pain, mood swings, and sleep??? It seems everyone takes something but me. I am med sensitive but I still feel there has to be a combo of something I can take to get some relief. Any suggestions?? I can't take much more of this nothing life. I want to live. I acan accept that I won't get much better and might even need more surgeries but I need to have some pain free time. I'm starting to lose it.

ICC

Last edited by ICC; 09-25-2007 at 12:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
Re: Need help, advise, opinions

ICC,

I agree with you. You not only NEED a better quality of life, you DESERVE a better quality of life. When you go see this pain doctor (Thank God you are seeing one!) tell them what you have told us. You are not happy with your life, because you cannot do A, B, and C because of the pain. Let him know that your expectations are within reason, but that you simply cannot go on with the pain and lack of quality of life you are living with.

Discuss specifics. For example, I discussed the fact that I could no longer work. This didn't just hurt me financially, it hurt me emotionally. I didn't feel like I should have to give up my career for ever, due to pain. I also talked about the little things (that drove me crazy)! I could vacuum, and I would sit and stare at the dirt on the floor. I didn't want to be able to vacuum daily, but once and a while would make me feel better.

Discuss what is important to you. Also, I would suggest that you start an anti-depressant that also works on your pain. I was not majorly depressed, but God I was so irritable and everything bothered me. I started the Cymbalta and within a few weeks, my pain was better, my mood was better, and yes, I even slept better.

There are many things the pain doctor can try. Make an agreement with him that you will be open, and will have some patience with the process of getting your pain under control, if he will also be patient with you, and do whatever he can to increase your quality of life. Do not be discouraged if this doctor is not for you. He may be the very best, and I pray he is. However, I don't want you to give up. This is a marathon, not a sprint. If I had stayed with my first pain doctor, I would be suffering today. Luckily, the next one is better, but I still have room to grow. So do you.

Good Luck, and Please keep us posted!

Your Friend,

Amanda

Old 09-25-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

Oh AManda ..thanks you so much for responding. I am at my wits end. You're right . I do deserve a better QOL and know that I can achieve it. I am going to start making a list of all problems. Some come and go but when they come are disabling. I will never be able to return to a job that I loved. 20 years. Worked hard, was loyal. Was kicked to the side of the curb when injured. My co-workers have been told to stay away from me as I have an attorney. So a few wonderful friends of many years have forgotten I even exist. It's OK. I've been through worse in my life. BUT I do need my body to be as good as it can be and it isn't. I feel as if I haven't been given a chance in the past 16 months. Everytime I start ot make headway something else stops it. I need to be put on the forward path and stay on it until I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Amanda ..I will let you know how I make out on the 1st. God has been with me this far, I'm sure He won't leave me now.

ICC

Old 09-25-2007, 05:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

I agree tell the doctor what you can and can't do. The times I walk into my doctor's office disheveled and almost crying(because I haven't been off the couch in a week) are the ones that he really seems to listen.
And don't give up. Most of the people on this board have seen more than one doctor in the search for fair treatment.
There are lots of things that can be tried. Good luck and keep us posted.
~Mush

Oh, and that light at the end of the tunnel?.....it's an oncoming train!LOL
(Stole that from someone's signature on another board)

Closed Thread