It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 06:59 AM   #1
(female)

hussafuss HB User
Stomach pains...could this be withdrawal?

Hello all,
This is my 1st post. I am writing to ask some questions about opoids I am prescriped.

I have been on the Duragesic Patch for about 8 months. For breakthrough pain I am given Lortab 10/500mg.

I went through a procedure to burn the nerves in my back for pain reduction. I was normally taking 3 Lortabs daily, sometimes more, sometimes less.

I know these are both opiods, but I did get pain relief from the Lortabs.

Anyway, I went away for the weekend and forgot my Lortabs, I was upset about it but I figured I should be ok with just the patch. Well, long story short, I have not taken a Lortab for about 2 weeks.

Shortly after stopping the Lortab's, I have been experiencing stomach pain...like severe bloating, tenderness, sour stomach and nausea. Could my body be going through withdrawal? The cramps and bloating are not always in the same place. They're all over the place. Could my body not like the reduction in the daily opiod consumption?

And lastly, if it is indeed withdrawal, how long could it last?

I'd appreciate any help or information you may have.

Many thanks...Hussafuss[/FONT]

Old 09-26-2007, 07:53 AM   #2
(male)

danny50 HB User
Re: Stomach pains...could this be withdrawal?

Sure sounds like it to me....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

How many Lortabs were you taking daily? If only a few then I don't see how it would affect you this much. If many, then yes, it could be the cutting of the Lortabs.

How long? That depends on the person, but it usually takes 3-5 days to get through the worst of it. But with the patch on board it won't be as bad as if the Lortabs were the only med you were taking.

If you were taking 4 or more Lortabs daily, I'd suggest tapering off of them against a schedule rather than cold turkey. Start by removing one from the mix for a few days, then another and so on until you're off of them.

Do you feel that you must stop the Lortabs? It could be that they're right for you as a breakthrough med.

steve

Old 09-26-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Bloating isn't generally a symptom of withdrawal. If you had started the medication again days later and if it were withdrawals it would be gone. Withdrawals can last up to a week.
A sour stomache generally isn't a withdrawal either, it's usually a side effect. I really suggest you see your family doctor to rule out perhaps a stomache condition instead of writing it off as a withdrawal

Old 09-26-2007, 09:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

If you haven't taken anything for that long then no it is not withdrawals. Nausea can be caused by the pancreas which will not appear on the barium at all nor will it be seen on a full endoscopy. In fact there's several things that can cause nausea which are undetectable in most common tests (along with cramps and bloating).

It is possible it could be IBS. Having a colonoscopy 4 years ago is a mute point, my husband just had two in the span of 8 months and just found polyps which were not there 8 months ago. His symptoms are similiar to yours but also has issues with bleeding which perpetrated the colonoscopy. He has to take meds for the nausea as the doctors still don't know what it is and have chalked it up to IBS for the moment (how frustrating is that)
I'd definately talk to your GI doc on this one.

Last edited by Kissa; 09-26-2007 at 09:55 AM.

Closed Thread