It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Arrow The honeymoon is over

Well you all might recall I posted some two months ago about going off Kadian after being on morphine for some 4 years. It was a personal decision for me due to the extensive drowsiness and fog created by regularly increased levels of morphine over the last year.

The first month was fantastic. The doc put me on Vicodin HP (double strength). I felt so alive, was thinking clearly and had very minimal pain ironically. Then this month started...

I can barely walk now, my lumbar is screaming with burning searing pain, my neck is barely moving at times and the knee I thought didn't need a replacement really looks like it needs one. I haven't called the doctor, I see him next week, so I've been trying to cope via any means I can (meditation, biofeedback, tens unit, rest and lidoderm patches).

Mornings are the pits. I see my hip doctor in two weeks to be sure that my hip isn't the cause of my back problem or vice versa. I have an appointment with a back doctor to simply double check my c-spine to be sure the broken screw hasn't moved or that the herniations didn't grow. I also need my lumbar checked as it hasn't been checked in some 5 years. I know I'm herniated from L1-L5.

I started college classes, only two, that I do so enjoy. I do feel a bit more clear headed but the pain brings me down fast. So here I am in a pickle. My PM will gladly put me back on Morphine but this is the first time in over 4 years I slept soundly through the night and didn't need 20 naps a day. I've tried Methadone and Fentanyl. He does not prescribe Oxy due to the severe abuse of it in our area. I just don't know what to do here.

It's been quite depressing (seeing my psych too, time for a med check). I don't want to go back into that fog that I was in for so many years without realizing it but I also can't go on suffering like this anymore either. I'm trying to be "strong" I am, but some days I feel like giving up (no not suicidal at all) and saying put me back on the big guns. I'm torn to pieces.

I don't personally feel I was at a high enough level of morphine to justify a pump and I don't know that my doctor even goes that route. I'm to the point of needing the wheelchair again just to get from point A to point B and I hate it. Maybe I'm being too stubborn but I've gotten a "taste" of feeling alive again and everyone has noticed how incredibly changed I am it's such a sad thought to think I have to go back to it again.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be really helpful. Maybe I'm missing something I can't see.

Thank you for listening

Barb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2007, 11:34 AM   #2
(female)

morgyporgy HB User
Re: The honeymoon is over

i am just curious. can you not take a lower dose of the morphine with the hydrocodone used for breakthru? it sounds to me like it is time for some trial and error dosing for you so you can find the combo and strength that keeps you comfortable without being a zombie. i sincerely hope you have success and please keep us updated. God Bless, Morgyporgy

Old 09-26-2007, 11:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Barb,
It's so great that you had that taste of freedom from the fog and I'm sorry that it didn't last.
I agree with Morgy...can he up your hydrocodone or mix it with the morphine?
Don't be defeated yet. It may just be a little tweaking of your doses and you'll be back in action.
I take oxycodone and it works wonders for my pain and I'm clear headed and I have more energy. It's too bad that it has been so abused that doctors are reluctant to prescribe it. Maybe Oxytrex will be the answer.
Take care and good luck~Mush

Old 09-26-2007, 11:45 AM   #4
(male)

acaptainn HB User

morph did that to me as well,,but OC an FENT did not, i was able to function,

i saw u said he wouldnt write OC so maybe FENT i was on 75mg patch worked ok, tho i think 100mg woulda been btr,

JUST MY EXPERIENCE......... good luck !

Old 09-26-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Here's the problem, My PM does not believe nor prescribe BT's for any reason. When having my hip replaced again for the 4th time last fall I had to fight tooth and nail to get anything and then I couldn't take it because of an allergy!

I am at a max dose of the hydro, 1 every 4 hours. they are 10/600's which also puts me in a bad spot for high levels of acetominophen.

The problems with morphine is that my system is weird, unlike most folks, and it's believed due to the EDS, I do not process chemicals the same. MSC makes me hyper at any level and I can't sleep at all, Kadian and Avinza make me so drowsey I can't function at all. Unfortunately he'd never consider using both the MSC and Hydro which might technically be a better solution. He's just that way He's a good guy, probably the best around in our area and I have no reason to see anyone new as those in our area really push injections which I have badly reacted from.

I've not heard of Oxytrex, I'll have to look into that. Based on the name I'm sure it has oxy in it.

I see him next Friday I think. He really wanted me to go back on the patch but I had such horrific withdrawals every 3rd day I couldn't stand it and I never slept for more than 30 minutes for an entire month. Talk about wired!

Old 09-26-2007, 12:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Oxytrex is the 'new' oxycontin without the abuse potential. I can't remember what exactly they did to it but you can't get high from crushing it.

What about compounded hydrocodone without the apap? I think Izzy's mom takes this. Then you could go a little higher with the dosage. I'm sorry about the no breakthrough rule. My pm is not crazy about it but my primary does my prescribing and she says 'bull#%*&' some days are more painful that others.

Take care~Mush

Old 09-26-2007, 12:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User

Hi Kissa...I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble, but the last I heard, Oxytrex was still only in the late clinical trial stage, so it's not even on the market yet and maybe never will. Soooo many drugs make it to that stage, but never hit the market.

Oxytrex is both oxycodone and naltrexone together. The naltrexone (brand name Narcan, as we all know, is full opioid antagonist). Supposedly, it's such an ultra low dose, you won't get w/d, but, you also can't be dependent on any other full agonist opioids (OC, morphine, fentanyl, methadone, etc.). So, if it hits the market, you will need to "wash out" any other pain meds. My PM doc does research and has told me all of this. He said it's not really a choice for anyone that has been on long term meds for a while. It's more of a "first approach" type drug. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Kissa, I'm soooo sorry you got that taste of freedom. I've been in my pain position since I've been 9 yrs. old, now 36, so I don't know life any other way. IMO, I think that's better because I have nothing to compare to (a normal life), all I've known is pain. I'm so sorry...that sucks!

Old 09-26-2007, 03:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Kissa, Sorry to hear things aren't going well. Reading your posts really describes the diference I felt going from high dose orals to the pump. I really don't think the dose is the primary reason why people go to pumps and there are certainly folks on very low doses , less than a mg a day of IT morphine and they do verry well. It seems the biggest deciding factor should be what is your prognosis, If there there was a chance you were going to get better and walk back to your old life then of course it's an extreme measure, but from the years we have talked, it doesn't sound like that' s the case. You have already been through some extreme stuff, a pump at this point doesn't sound extreme in your case.

Going to a low dose pump may be exatly what your looking for and what you described once off the LA orals. It's certainly not right for everyone, but given your prognosis, and likely continued need for some type of pain management the rest of your life. Anyone would be hard pressed to play devils advocate as to why you shouldn't at least do a trial. You have done the LA thing, you know what the price is so I think you met the dose standard if there is one. Enough to relieve enough pain makes you feel like crap. Starting low just means they have plenty of room to adjust as the years and decades pass. The biggest shame is to let them pass in a fog or in so much pain you miss out on what relief could have allowed you to enjoy.

Good luck, Dave

Closed Thread