It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 11:16 AM   #1
(male)

whitfield HB User
generic Roxicodone

I currently take a generic percocet 5/325 for BT--usually only need on my 3rd day of the patch, but sometimes take 2 at a time (which is what doc said to do)--but may do that 4 times during the third day--I have my quarterly check up in the beginning of November and am going to ask the doc if he would consider putting me on Roxicodone for BT--I think he will, but am wondering about brand--I have read on this board that Mallinckrodt are lousy--does anyone know what is a good generic? Much cheaper for me than name brand--I have Humana Medicare Advantage Plan and they even make me pay more than standard generic for the patch because I insist on the Sandoz brand and they only pay the amount I would pay for the Mylan--I have to make up the difference. Any suggestions regarding generic Roxicodone? Thanks for any input--Roger

Old 09-26-2007, 05:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
Re: generic Roxicodone

I know that ENDO makes a generic and many people like that brand. I prefer Watson in the percocet, but am unsure if the make roxi. Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2007, 10:03 PM   #3
(male)

whosit HB User

I would also recommend endo generic(suprisingly though) for the percocet or roxicodone. i have had the mallincrap and the watson...watson done OK but when my pharmacy switched companies and only had endo in i got those. i have found they work better for some reason then anything alse i have tried.....the ocycontin they made was useless but almost every generic bu the watson oxycontin generic sucked so i have to have brand on that. i am not sure if it is true or not but i also believe that if you pay for the brand name percocet..the real deal it is made by endo....i could be wrong there and one of vetrens here will correct me if i am wrong but i think it is. by the way i take percocet 10/325 for bt...the brand percocet is yellow for 10mg and so are the endo generic but could be simple mistake on my part. they worked good before i knew they were made by the brand name maker of percocet so i dont think it is all in my head. So in short...i recommend endo generic on that one as well based on personal experience......hope that helped!

Last edited by Administrator; 09-27-2007 at 10:56 PM.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:19 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

72575 HB User

There is definitely a difference in the various brands and their effectiveness, imo.

As far as I can tell and with no bias at all as I tried different brands of Percocet over the course of a few years, there are some noticeable positive and negative things.
With CVS pharmacy, the Oxycodone I was getting to start with were the small, round, white pills that were 5/325 and had a line down the center of them where they could be broken in half if need be.
These were the ones I preferred over any other generic brand, but I am not sure who made them because I never payed any attention to that, unless Oxycodone is made by just a single manufacturer.
I was later bumped up to the 7.5/325, but changed pharmacies to a local place that wasn't a chain store and I was getting the oblong shaped, lighter orange-ish in color pills called Endocet. These, when taken in the same amount in mg's as the white Oxycodones, were not as strong.
Lets say I took 4 of the 7.5s at a time as my twice daily dose when I was on the SA's as my only regimen, for total of 30mg. If I took 6 of the 5mg Oxycodone rather than the orange-ish 7.5 Endocets, I noticed a pretty big difference in strength in favor of the 5mg pills.
But, strangely enough, if I ran out early with the small white pills I would suffer severe withdrawals, yet when I would run out of the 7.5 Endocet, I noticed that the withdrawals were significantly less severe than the other kind, and I know that wasn't all in my head either. Anyone who has been through withdrawals can probably relate to that.

Now I am on the OxyContin instead of the SA's, but am now getting (most recently) 20 SA Endocets (7.5) per month as BA as well.
The OCs that I am on now are little yellow-ish oval pills, the 40mg version. The 20s were the same color and shape when I started on them too.
I would like to see if there are stronger versions of these. They don't seem to be all that strong for the amount I am taking and what is even worse, they only last about 7-8 hours, after taking up to 3 hours to start working. It is pretty frustrating.

deleted

Now I will also be the first to admit that I have no clue how the timed release meds work, or if it is even possible to release "all" of the pill's strength even after bypassing and eliminating the slow release mechanism out of it.
Common sense leads me to believe that you won't get the full effect if you tamper with this particular brand at least.
I know there are also supposed to be brands that you cannot bypass the slow release coating and that if you attempt to, the pill will become worthless and gel up or somesuch.
I guess there are blue ones, yellow ones, white.... all different brands if I am not mistaken.
I would like to try some of the brand name manufactured OCs soon and see if they work any better for me, but I also worry about my Pain Doctor bearing down on me with scrutiny or a new caution or red flag attitude.

When I was taking Vicodin and Hydrocodone a few years back, I really noticed a difference in effectiveness of the brands. Watson was the generic that worked the best, but it also gave me bad heartburn and made me nauseous even in small doses, often even leading to me vomiting from just a few (2) pills taken.
Later I got tired of that and didn't care what the pharmacy or doctor thought, I went in and said that I wanted brand name this time and I wasn't taking generic as a substitute anymore.
Boy, did that pharmacist get bent out of shape with me. He said there was no difference at all and it was all in people's heads, and just to keep taking the generic, but I still said no. Turned out that they didn't even stock the brand name (Lortab, iirc, or maybe Lorcet) and that he would have to order it if I wanted it and it would take 3 days to get it. I stood firm and said that'd be fine. When it came in I had to pay $40 or $50 for it rather than the $10 or $15 for it, but I noticed right away that it was better and it wasn't just the placebo effect. I stayed with brand name from then on out.

When I got back on the meds after a year or so off them, I went back to all generic. I think I will request to go back to brand name next refill again and see how that works out.

I would be interested in hearing about brand vs generic with the OCs though if anyone had any experience with the two.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-27-2007 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Disussing illegal use of drugs is not allowed.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:59 AM   #5
(male)

whitfield HB User

Thanks so much for all your answers--I do now take the percocet generic and prefer the Endo type--they are made by the same company as the name brand percocet--but recently my pharmacy changed to a different generic--regarding the roxicodone, I am only going to ask for that because of all the tylenol in percocet--especially if I end up taking 8 of them in a day! Called a couple pharmacies and 2 of them used the Mallincrap and the third had one made by Activis(Amide)--so if Dr OK's the roxicodone, I may try them--Again, thanks for all the input--Roger

Old 09-27-2007, 10:03 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

I switched to brand after my pharmacy switched it's generic to Mallin-crap.
You don't have to ask your doctor. Just tell the pharmacist that you want brand. No big deal.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:28 PM   #7
(male)

whitfield HB User

OK--Have to wait and see Doc in Nov--checked prices and name brand not too expensive anyway--72575--Don't know much about the oxycontin--when I was on it, there was a terrible blue oblong generic(Teva)--originally only name brand was available--my pharmacist at the mom and pop pharmacy told me the only decent generic oxycontin was the watson and they looked identical and in fact were--I thionk there are more legal issues happening now regarding patent etc.--Thanks for the input regarding roxicodone--Roger

Old 09-27-2007, 08:54 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

lexusdog HB User

what is roxicodone again?

Old 09-28-2007, 04:46 AM   #9
(male)

whitfield HB User

I believe it is oxycodone IR(Instant release)--But without the apap(Tylenol)--which is why I want it (I think)--now I take percocet and that has tylenol(apap) in it--bad for liver.--Roger

Old 09-28-2007, 10:15 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

lexusdog HB User

I was at the doc yesterday and asked him about giving me something instead of my percs. I wanted to get away from the Tylenol. I though they had one that had the oyxcodone mixed with ibuprofen or something like that. He said only one is mixed with asprin and he said he does not like to prescribe them as they asprin is hard on the stomach. I asked him about anything else at all and he commented no nothing. I said is there anything else in pill form stronger than percs and he said nothing. I like the sign of Roxicodone as I take quite a bit of the percs and don't like all the tylenol.

Whit, this is the guy in Cali that has the same diagnosis as you.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:06 AM   #11
(male)

whitfield HB User

lexus--sounds like your doc doesn't like anything stronger than perc's--my doc was the same--when I was hospitalized with the pancreatic psuedocyst, he turned my case over to a Gastroenterologist and that was the guy who started me on the patch--when I was released and had my first visit with my primary, he almost had no choice except to keep me on the patch, but I know he doesn't like it and will now only give me 60 --5/325 percs every 90 days for breakthrough and the patch has to last for 3 days, so he may not want to change me to roxicodone--all I can do is ask--appt in early Nov.--How are you feeling lexus?--Roger

Last edited by whitfield; 09-29-2007 at 08:06 AM.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:35 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

lexusdog HB User

My doc has me on the 50mcg patch and will put me on the 75 or 100 just by asking. He gives me 120 10/325 percs for break through and also lets me change the patch every 2. Whitfiled you and I have pretty much the same diagnosis. You seem under medicated. I know how you feel inside and how your bones ache!

My doc has always been pretty open about prescribing almost anything I ask to try, but when I asked for a equivalent to perc with out the tylenol, he said there is nothing. I know by reading the board that there has got to be something. He had me on oxycontin but it made me a little more zombie like, even though it's pretty much the same thing I wanted (percs with out tylenol) I know the oxy was ER, I wanted and IR for breakthrough with just the narcotic and no mix of tylenol or asprin.

I am still hurting like crazy. I need both ankles fused, but they said it probably wont heal and fuse. Both knees are gone, but at 36 they wont replace, and my hips are next. I would like one day to have a teenagers legs and just for once be able to jump of even a curb, would be fun.

How are u

Old 09-29-2007, 09:22 PM   #13
(male)

naklang HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusdog View Post
My doc has me on the 50mcg patch and will put me on the 75 or 100 just by asking. He gives me 120 10/325 percs for break through and also lets me change the patch every 2. Whitfiled you and I have pretty much the same diagnosis. You seem under medicated. I know how you feel inside and how your bones ache!

My doc has always been pretty open about prescribing almost anything I ask to try, but when I asked for a equivalent to perc with out the tylenol, he said there is nothing. I know by reading the board that there has got to be something. He had me on oxycontin but it made me a little more zombie like, even though it's pretty much the same thing I wanted (percs with out tylenol) I know the oxy was ER, I wanted and IR for breakthrough with just the narcotic and no mix of tylenol or asprin.

I am still hurting like crazy. I need both ankles fused, but they said it probably wont heal and fuse. Both knees are gone, but at 36 they wont replace, and my hips are next. I would like one day to have a teenagers legs and just for once be able to jump of even a curb, would be fun.

How are u

If your doc will prescribe basically anything you ask, forget the percs completely. All that tylenol is just a toxin you dont need and it isn't doing jack anyway. Best bet IMO is to get on a single 4mg Hydromorphone tab (Ethex brand) combined with a few OTC 200mg Advil. Should only need to do that every 6 hours or so. The hydro worked like nothing did after I had my shoulder surgery. Just knocks the pain right out of town and quick. The Advil cuts the inflammation. The two together are magic. Somebody should mix them as a product instead of the Tylenol junk.

Last edited by naklang; 09-29-2007 at 09:24 PM.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:06 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

There is definitely "something". I get generic oxycodone 5mg, no tylenol, for breakthrough. I was taking percocet 5mg/325mg apap for breakthrough until I had arm surgery in '05. My doc was worried about the amount of tylenol and switched me to oxycodone only and I've been taking them ever since.
Good luck~Mush

Old 09-30-2007, 05:49 AM   #15
(male)

whitfield HB User

lexus--I would let your doc move you up on the patch size--mine moved me to the 100Mcg and it made a big difference--I have had both hips totally replaced over the last year, and at least that pain from hips is now gone--just the pancreatitus--I think my doc will allow the roxicodone, but won't know til my next appt--just want to get away from too much tylenol. Worst time of day for me is morning, as day moves on, things get better--take care--Roger

Closed Thread