It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
(female)

troman76 HB User
shoulder surgery

i have to have shoulder surgery next week.I have really bad bicepial tendonitis! the doctor said i have to have my shoulder bone shaved down and the bicept tendon cut and reattached else where to hopefully stop all the pain i've been having.what type of pain medication should i be asking for?I dont take well to pain to begin with!Any input would help.
Thanks Tracy

Old 09-26-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
(male)

danny50 HB User
Smile Re: shoulder surgery

I hope you have chosen a good surgeon.. I have had (5) surgeries to my left shoulder... I have had what you are having PLUS more... The tendon part is what you need to be careful of... You should be getting some good break through meds like Vicadin ES depending on your ability to handle them...Or Percoset.. I dont know if you are on any meds now though so it is difficult to say what you need...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2007, 03:11 PM   #3
(female)

troman76 HB User
Re: shoulder surgery

thankx for writting. i'm taking darvocet right now they seem to help alittle bit. i've heard alot of horror stories about shoulder surgery and how painful they are. i've taken vicoden in the past but it really screws up my stomach.is there any thing that is stronger than darvocet but still easy on the stomach?
thankx tracy

Old 09-26-2007, 04:46 PM   #4
(male)

danny50 HB User

I think your gonna need something a little stronger than Darvocet, I am not sure what would not effect your stomach though... I think you had better discuss this with the surgeon prior to surgery..
Hope all turns out good for you Tracy..

Old 09-26-2007, 05:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

You will definetly need stronger meds that Darvocet! There was a recent study that stated that Darvocet was no more effective than aspirin in managing pain. I would suggest percocet or demerol. Also, talk to the anesthiesiologist before surgery. They are the ones (not the surgeon) that control your pain post-op in the hospital. Your surgeon will take over once you are discharged. Discuss what has and has not worked for you in the past.

I would also suggest asking for a PCA (patient controlled anesthiesia) pump for after surgery. You control the pump, and you don't have to wait for a nurse to bring you injections every four hours or so. It provides much better pain relief, and this surgery calls for it. I hope that helps! Good luck!

Amanda

Old 09-26-2007, 07:30 PM   #6
(male)

danny50 HB User

Pardon me.... The reason I say surgeon is because this surgery does not require a stay in the hospital with morphine pumps. Thats correct ... same day surgery... I guess she will need to talk to the surgeon...

Old 09-26-2007, 07:36 PM   #7
(male)

danny50 HB User

Good Luck Tracy, Im sure youll do fine regardless of who you talk to..
be prepared for heavy duty physical therapy after your procedure..

Old 09-27-2007, 06:15 AM   #8
(female)

cjf78 HB User

I found my shoulder surgery to be the worst thing I ever experienced. 10 bone spurs, part of the acromium bone taken off and a 2 inch rotator cuff repair. Had damage to some tendons but not bad enough to need surgical repair. I am 5 months post-op and just now stopping the constant 24/7 pain. I found after surgery that Toradol worked the best for me. The only problem is they can't prescribe it for more than i believe 5 -7 days as it really tears the stomach up. I have a bad stomach to begin with but was able to take 3 a day with a meal and had no stomach problems from it. I also took Percocet with it on occassion but noticed that the percocet without the toradol did nothing for pain. Best of luck. It's a tough surgery as everyone says.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:27 AM   #9
(female)

troman76 HB User

thanks for the input! i talked with the surgen today an he assured me that he'll give me something alot stronger for after the surgeryone more quick thing i had someone tell me to go buy a recliner because thats the only way i'll be able to sleep for awhile...is that true?oh and how long after am i supposed to start PT? The doc wants me to start 2 days after surgery Is that to soon?

Last edited by troman76; 09-27-2007 at 11:31 AM. Reason: need to add sentance.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:37 AM   #10
(male)

danny50 HB User

Yes a recliner helps alot... I do beleive that 2 days is a little soon for PT...
Did he say he was going to do the surgery orthoscopy or open?

Last edited by danny50; 09-27-2007 at 11:38 AM.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #11
(female)

troman76 HB User

he is going to do orthoscopy...why do you ask?

Old 09-27-2007, 03:46 PM   #12
(male)

danny50 HB User

Because that would be easier for you to deal with and perhaps you may do PT sooner than If you had a complete open surgery... The method you are going will leave no large scars as it done through 3 small holes ... I think you will do fine... When is the surgery?

Old 09-28-2007, 05:07 AM   #13
(female)

troman76 HB User

It is next wensday 10/3...i'm real nervous... I never had surgery before.All in all i guess it will help in the long run...

Old 09-28-2007, 08:50 AM   #14
(male)

danny50 HB User

Please dont get yourself nervous...Your not going to feel anything during the surgery, youll wake up wondering if it was done.... The only pain you have to deal with is most likely a couple of hours after you leave and that should be controlled by the meds youi leave with..Dont be afraid to let your doctor know whether the medication is working for you. Its the Doctors responsability to make you as comfortable as possable... Good luck and let us know how things work out... If I can answer any questions before the surgery pls let me know and dont be nervous its really not neccesary....

Old 09-28-2007, 10:16 AM   #15
(female)

troman76 HB User

thanks for your advice!!!! i'll be in touch

Closed Thread