It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 11:21 PM   #1
(male)

whosit HB User
The use of Ritalin in Pain management???

OK......I have talked with my doctor and he gave me a RX for 5 mg of Ritalin to take 3 times daily to help with my pain!.....sound wierd yet? his explination was that in my sleep study to check for apnea...seperate from PM....they found that I had something called hypersomnolence...hope it is spelled right. he said that thier are 4 stages of sleep and based on my overnight study I only go into stages 1 and 2 and have extreme daytime drowsiness from the findings of the nap study the next day. he said that the lack of sleep I am getting and the excessive daytime drowsiness can contribute to my pain level and make it rise......does this sound right to anyone? he mad a good point and hypersomnolence IS treated with methlyphenidate(Ritilan) but how can it help my pain level? dont we need to fix the sleep problem so i can go into stage 3 and 4 sleep to get good rest? Again this is a pain question because having less pain is my main concern and why this was done. we are going to do other things first but he said to go on this first and see if it helps even a little bit with pain. i have taken my first doses today and it is only 5mg TID but it is the reason I am up so late right now.....he also said that would go away quickly(being up from it at night). i am not sure about the move but if anyone else has heard of this before i want to know everything i can about it. i tried to search the net and dint really find anything. but he swears that by reducing my daytime drowsiness it will reduce my headaches from lack of good sleep and my stress from being tired and make me feel better. it makes since sorta but my wife ran the idea accross to one of the ER Doctors she works with he said the guy was crazy and it wouldnt help a bit. any input would help greatly....btw i realize that that doc was an ER doc and not PM doc as well so i kinda blew it off when asking some of the PA's i know and they said he might be onto something and it was worht a shot....couldt hurt they said.

Wvrecon432

Last edited by moderator2; 09-27-2007 at 07:01 AM. Reason: do not post to the moderator - it is cause to be banned - instructions for contacting moderators is in the posting policy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2007, 04:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User
Re: The use of Ritalin in Pain management???

Hi Wv,

It makes sense to me, people deprived of deep, restful sleep suffer from chemical imbalances, including endorphins and seratonin, which can increase pain, stress, and depression.
Lack of enough sleep can even result in psychotic breaks, it can have a devastating effect on a persons health.
The proof is in the pudding, are you feeling less pain? if you havent yet, you still might, please let us know what you find out.
Someone with ADD might have more and better advice for you too.
Hang in there!
~Fabby

Old 09-27-2007, 09:34 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

My pain doctor is big on adjuvants, medications that work together with the pain med to provide even better pain relief. It just so happens that central nervous system stimulants (e.g. ritalin, dexedrine) can help by making the pain med work even better. This is apart from any help the ritalin may be with sleep. Caffeine is a stimulant as well, and just look how good Excedrine is a killing headache pain - alot has to do with the caffeine.

I have been prescribed Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine, like ritalin) and it truly does combine well with my pain med to provide enhanced pain relief. For me, I can't take the dexedrine any time after about noon or I won't sleep well at all.

steve

Old 10-02-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
(male)

whosit HB User

thanks alot for your replies...

update on it though......it has helped me alot. I feel less groggy from the pain meds and more alert though the whole day. I feel like the rest I get is getting better. Overall i think it has helped in the pain relief as well....not drmatically but enough to tell. Even a little bit of reduced pain is really good news to any CP patient though! I didnt understand it at first but after trying it I see he knew what he was doing after all. Again thanks guys for your responses!

Wvrecon432

Closed Thread