It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 10:43 PM   #1
(male)

whosit HB User
medicine advice...

more of a veteran question here or ppl who have been on PM for awhile and can relate or tell by experience(the best advice in my opinion really) or new i guess and have the same question!

I have a question for you guys....to make it clear first i am not asking if I can drink alot and still taKE MEDS SO PLEASE DONT LABEL ME AS SOMEONE SEEKING A ADDITION EFFECT OR TRYING TO INTENSIFY MY MEDS(IF ANYTHING I WOULD LIKE TO BE MED FREE!!! THAT WOULD BE A PRAYER ASNWERED).... ok now that i made that clear that i am not a junkie...lol!!! the question::::it may seem like a no brainer to you guys and prob really is is but I take opiate pain medcation and go out to dinner with my wife and family and all and still go to the pub to watch football with the guys and love it! i always have.. I used to enjoy the occasional beer with a meal or during a game at a sprots pub with all my close friends and watch my favorite team play(Marshall University..Alma Matter). I never have had more than 2 and most all the time just one most every time really because for some reason i dont like the effect of alot of alcohol....just a beer or two on thats all i care to take in......but since being on on pain medication i have not even sipped on one and that is the truth because I have seen not to in the patient info and on the bottles of my meds and also have lost interest in alot of activities due to pain level being high. My pain is down alot and I ma starting to be happy again and resume those activities which is bringing me out of depression and really making me alot happier about life now. I am wondering though is it OK to have the occasional beer with a meal when out to dinner mabey 1-2 times a month or should i just not do it at all? my dose is 100mg toal of oxycodone daily in 2 doses and including the BT meds i would normally take. i used to to enjoy haveing a beer with friends and family and always feels like i am missing out now and it makes me feel as if i have lost even more of my old life.....to be clear as well i have never had a problem with alcohol or actually drank that much in my life...even in the US Navy surprisingly! i have only been drunk like once and that was after high school prom or graduation...cant remember which.....i know goody 2 shoes huh...but just i never really liked it muck....just the taste of beer and being a part of the crowd and having a beer with the guys. I pretty much know the answwer to this question already but i figure i would ask other ppl if they have had the same experience and what they did...if it effected them or the medication any? things like that.....thanks for all the help guys! i am fairly young still as well at 24 years old so I dont want to lose a part of my life i enjoy really thats all.....and my doc tells my i am prob a lifetime CP patient and I am still trying to get over that really.......sucks...but what can you do really! Mabey non-alcholic beer? i have been suggested that but it dont seem like it would really be like old times again and would feel wierd for some reason but if i cant have it though it is not a big loss compared to being pain free. please chime in if you used to be a social drinker and gave it up and if it effected your life as far as fitting in with everyone else your age and if it made you fell left out as it does me sometimes....like i am not part of the circle anymore on sundays or have my life revolving around the PM instead of me and my friends and family like it should be!

thanks

Wvrecon432

Last edited by whosit; 09-26-2007 at 10:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2007, 11:55 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

72575 HB User
Re: medicine advice...

I'm sure most doctors will say no way.

Me? I don't see what it can hurt to maybe try it once. I'd caution you to do it at home though and see how you react.

Myself, when I was drinking heavily for a while and then started on pain meds, I could get drunk daily and take the meds at the same time (very, very dangerous with the stuff with a lot of tylenol in it to mix it with alcohol) and not have any problems at all. It just made my buzz all the better.
However, I eventually quit drinking because I had to shape up or ship out of the house. So, I stopped drinking all together.

I was still taking the meds though. One night I went out for dinner and had a beer, and about half way through the bottle I felt sick and nauseous as heck. I knew it was the meds. I tried it one more time a few months later, just sipping a beer out of the bottle and the same thing happened after the first beer, and then I was pretty dizzy and felt like total crap.
That was on the short acting meds though. Never tried it on the LAs.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Hi Wv,

Like the other poster said, If the oxy you are on is in the form of percocet, that has tylenol in it, bad news to drink on at all. The newer studies show as little as one alcoholic drink taken with tylenol can damage your liver.
If You are on oxycontin, you should be okay with nursing a beer, as long as its just one, or you can switch to Sharps or O'Dools, My own husband had to quit drinking because of his meds, and had the same issues, so he switched to sharps, and most restaurants and bars nowadays carry both 'near beer' and alcohol free beer, so you still can have the taste and the fun without the dialysis, lol.

HTH, Fabby

Old 09-27-2007, 05:57 AM   #4
(male)

acaptainn HB User

WHOA im scared into a liver study now !! an been wonderin why it hasnt been ordered by a doc at some point.

i guess this is a useless post , but wow

Old 09-27-2007, 07:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User

Hi All...I don't drink (really, I don't....I have no tolerance for alcohol. I had one glass of champagne at my wedding several years ago and puked the whole night. Lovely honeymoon night!! LOL) Anyway..do you remember Palladone?? It was a long acting form of Dilaudid that was out a few years ago. It was pulled from the market due to people OD'ing when mixing it with alcohol. The alcohol destroyed the timing mechanism, so all the Dilaudid was delivered at once. There is also the same warning for Avinza (long acting Morphine).

I'm not sure on any other LA meds, just those stick out in my mind right now. I'm on OxyContin and Actiq (Fentanyl) and I only have one kidney now, since the other was removed last year. So, I have my only kidney and liver tested regularly due to the metabolism of these drugs. I see my PM today, so I will ask him. Please, please, be careful, ok?? I would just stay away from it all together, personally. Like the other poster said, what about non-alchy beer?? You could always order it at the bar by yourself and pour it in a glass. Nobody would know the difference, unless you said something, ya know?? Be safe and talk to ya later!

Last edited by friendly_one; 09-27-2007 at 07:45 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 09-27-2007, 07:40 AM   #6
(male)

whitfield HB User

You already know the answer, but in real life, if you really want that beer, you will probably have it. I did quit entirely for almost 2 months when I first started high dose opiates--then asked my doc about the occasional drink--He said 1 glass of red wine after dinner is not going to hurt you as long as you do not drive. Now, that is what I do. Also have bloodwork done including metabolic studies to make sure liver, kidneys, pancreas etc are within normal range--VERY IMPORTANT--Beer may be different, I don't know, except that it is carbonated if that makes a difference. Just make sure that you do not drive if you decide to have a beer and stay on top of bloodwork etc--JMHO--Roger

Old 09-27-2007, 08:32 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

I used to work with a guy who washed his meds down with whiskey. That is he did until his wife and little girl found him dead on the kitchen floor.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:14 AM   #8
(female)

morgyporgy HB User

my first response would be to say absolutely do not drink and take your meds together. if i am going to a celebration or wedding i will take my morning dose of hydrocodone 10/325 and then wait atleast 6 hrs before having a drink and will not take another pill that day. if my pain is so bad that i cannot do this, then i just won't drink. i am not a drinker anyway but maybe once a yr. an occasion will arrise where i may want one and this is how i handle it.

something else to keep in mind....if you do decide to drink with your meds and you have a bad reaction, your PM will drop you like a hot potato. to me it just would not be worth it. not to mention the fact that it could be fatal. ev1 is different and if you do it once and it turns out okay, you may be tempted to do it more. my advice is either drink or take your meds. don't do both. the circumstances would not be worth the risk. god bless, morgy porgy

Old 09-27-2007, 11:04 AM   #9
(male)

Fibbles HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrashamx View Post
Hi Wv,

Like the other poster said, If the oxy you are on is in the form of percocet, that has tylenol in it, bad news to drink on at all. The newer studies show as little as one alcoholic drink taken with tylenol can damage your liver.
If You are on oxycontin, you should be okay with nursing a beer, as long as its just one, or you can switch to Sharps or O'Dools, My own husband had to quit drinking because of his meds, and had the same issues, so he switched to sharps, and most restaurants and bars nowadays carry both 'near beer' and alcohol free beer, so you still can have the taste and the fun without the dialysis, lol.

HTH, Fabby
I take Morphine and drink an occasional O'Douls (or other NA beer) every once in a while or if I'm somewhere where everyone else is drinking.

NA beer still has alcohol, but it's a very low amount and hasn't caused any issues for me.

Closed Thread