It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2007, 11:40 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Generics Different?

Hi All,

I'm curious about something. I've been taking MS Contin, actually a generic from Ethex. I wasn't impressed and we had to raise the dose a few times. Then the pharmacy switched to Endo. WOW! What a difference. It was like a whole new medicine, and I kind of feel like talking to the doctor about adjusting backwards, so long as they stick with Endo.

Does this happen to the rest of you? It kind of scares me now in case they return to Ethex that my pain level will shoot up. Have any of you gotten a pharmacy to provide you with a specific generic even if they've switched to another? I would love it if they just stayed with Endo now, but I know from experience that with generics it's a bit unpredictable, depending on supply and such. Can I get them to stock Endo for me?

Thanks for your help.

steve

Old 09-27-2007, 01:54 PM   #2
(male)

acaptainn HB User
Re: Generics Different?

I just tried *brand* percs an they seem to work btr than the generic

i quizzed the pharm. about he said the medicine is the same by law, so i said there exactly the same ? he says well the the fillers can be diff.

just my experience

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I kind of felt the difference to , so can you request the pharmacy use a certain kind/type, does anyone know? I have had people swear there is a differance so I have to believe it is so.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

You can ask the pharmacy if they will order a certain generic for you....they might. I think a couple of people here have done this...Director? I just ask for brand and they always seem to have that in stock. Of course, I am lucky enough to have good insurance so I only pay $15 for brand.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

Hi Everybody...I have been through the generic thing several times since I've been on C-II meds for CP. I'm currently taking Methadone and I've been able to tell a huge difference in the different makers. Mallinckrodt makes Methadose and in my opinion it's terrible. There's a big difference between that and Methadone by Roxane. Shoreline Dave can give us the figures on the percentage of difference in these generics. I think I remember, but Dave can tell for sure.

I've been on Methadone for four and a half years and I take 180 mg per day. Over four years ago, after getting a fill with Methadose once at my regular pharmacy, I asked them if they could order in the Roxane Methadone for me. My monthly fill is for #540, so they keep a large amount in stock. I went in last week for my fill and asked if they had enough (there's a new Head Pharmacist) and he said he had 1,100 in stock, so he would be sure to have enough for me.

So, to answer the question, yes it is possible for a pharmacy to order your preferred brand of medication for you. If they give you the song and dance they can't do it because it's a chain pharmacy, I would go elsewhere. My pharmacy is a chain and they've been doing it for me. If you have problems finding a chain pharmacy that will work with you, some people go to a small Mom and Pop pharmacy and swear by the service they get.

Old 09-29-2007, 01:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

I was talking with shorline about this a while back. They are allowed so much lee-way. For example,a 10 mg brand perc,[10 mg oxycodone] generic 10 mg,actually has 8.5 mg of oxycodone. You have to ask yourself,if theres no difference,then why does everyone get better relief from brand name?

Old 09-29-2007, 06:41 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Unfortunately my insurance company has made generics almost mandatory. $40 copay for name brand vs. $10 for generics. Fred

Old 09-29-2007, 07:27 AM   #8
(male)

whitfield HB User

I think most of us with insurance have the same issue of paying more for name brand or even non-preferred generics--the question becomes--Is pain relief worth the difference in cost? I pay the difference even though it costs me more and I have very limited income--Just my opinion--Roger

Old 09-30-2007, 03:36 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

Most of the time, I get generics- and have no problems; the only thing I do watch for is sensitivity to one muscle relaxants coating (brand and one generic) and my blood thinner- the generics are very different per my lab work levels. Also, brand versus generic on SOME seizure meds are critical- to stick with the brand. Most of the time, generics are no problem for me- it's the coatings and fillers that cause me problems if I have any.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:53 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

I noticed a BIG difference in percocet generics. I prefer the Watson generic brand, versus mallikwhatever, and endo. They work so much better, it seems like a whole different strength and med to me.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:59 AM   #11
(male)

whitfield HB User

Endocet is exactly the same as the name brand--made by the same company. But, there are other generic's that in my opinion are terrible.JMO--Roger

Old 10-01-2007, 07:46 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

WOW!

I couldn't have asked for a better response. Thanks so much everyone for your input. The people on this board are incredible - all of you - thanks so much.

As I mentioned before, I find for me that the Endo generic for MS Contin is much, much better than the Ethex generic. It really feels like the dose was raised it's that different.

I will take the advice and try to get my pharmacy to stock the Endo meds for me.

Thanks Again, steve

Old 10-02-2007, 04:24 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

I asked one pharmacy about why they didn't get the "white' generic muscle relaxant I had been taking (generic of Flexeril) when they changed to a mustard yellow colored tablet....they had changed vendors. When they do that it's harder to get special orders, but you can certainly try- or get them at a different pharmacy= or check out any mail order options you might have with your insurance. Just ask what brand of generics any of them use ahead of time.

Closed Thread