It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User
This is SERIOUS GUYS and I don't know what to do?????????????

I went to PM yesterday and as most of you know, this in a pretty new PM, he's very nice, in his late 60's and I think the world of him. BUT! I saw him yesterday which was my 4th visit.
He has always seemed a bit distracted or something.

He asked me how I was doing and asked what meds I was taking on a regular basis and I told him.
Then he asked me who gave me Phenergan Suppository's and the Fentanyl Patch! I said "YOU DID", He said "NO, I DIDN"T, I DON'T PRESCRIBE SUPPOSITORY"S AND I DIDN'T PRESCRIBE YOU ANY FENTANYL PATCHS",
I said, "BUT, YES YOU DID, LAST MONTH", AGAIN and again we kept this up, finally I said "LOOK, THE PHARMACY IS RIGHT DOWN THE ROAD, PLEASE CALL THEM"!!!

He asked his Nurse (she's very nice and was there at the time ) I knew I was right, So did she. he looked at her, and she slowly shook her head yes, telling him he DID.
She went and called the Pharmacy and they verified it.
He got really upset frantically looking through my chart, No papers, Nothing. He didn't write anything down, He didn't have any record of prescibing me anything at all !
He seemed strange (But not on drugs!!) more like a forgetfullness. He was totally out of it. He was horrified digging though my records mumbling something about (OH NO THE DEA OH GOD THE DEA).

Then he shook his head and gave me my script for another month of Fentanyl 50 patches and another prescription and said here is ( 10 PHENERGAN FOR THE NAUSEA, IF THIS WORKS THERE ARE 3 REFILLS). I took a Phenergan this morning and I thought "This doesn't seem right, and before I counted them I read the Pharmacy label and it said (20)." Another thing he did wrong or said wrong, whatever,I saw his Nurse take the other half of the scripts and tape them in my file. It has always seemed to me that she did more than she was supposed to anyway. She looks over his shoulder and corrects him when he's wrong.

Before I left, I made a remark that it was a good thing neither one of us was sick, because I had my last patch on, He told me he can only give me the patches ON THE DAY I RUN OUT! I said, what if there was a hurricane? He then informed me that I better get into see him asap to get a prescription or go without. HUH ? He has 3 offices all over Florida how would I know where he would be?

Guy's! This is only my 2nd script from him, I've only been on fentanyl for 1 month, and as I was leaving he said , Since you've been on the fentanyl for so long, when I see you at the next appt, we need to start you on something else and get you down off of it!! HUH?
Also when I was at the pharmacy they told me they couldn't fill it because he FORGOT to write the dosage on it!!
I talked them into calling him before he left town and they did (THANK GOD!)

I asked hubby for advice, he doesn't understand Pain Meds and told me to just stop taking them, that it's no big deal. And why would I care what happens between him and the DEA anyway???
UGGGGGGGG

HELP!!!!!!!
Thanks,
Terri

Last edited by sandollar; 09-27-2007 at 03:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
(female)

LifeLost HB User
Re: This is SERIOUS GUYS and I don't know what to do?????????????

You are obvoisly in a very scary and I'd say potentially dagerous situation. It almost sounds like this guy has alzteimers or something similar. If you can I'd find another doctor as fast as you can. Meds like this are to dangerous to have such an absent minded doctor. And I think that the withdrawal from the meds is an issue too. I'm deffinitly no expert here though. Good luck!

Old 09-27-2007, 04:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

He seems to have Alzheimers(or something equal). If I were you I would not go back because of two reasons. One is because he isn't thinking clearly nor is that likely to change(perhaps this isn't the correct medication for you at all) and two ...he can get you in trouble because he if he forgets to do something correctly(with the DEA) it sounds like he will blame you and since he is the professional they will probably believe him(even though he is he is very confused he still has the license). My advice is to never go back to this person. And since the nurse is covering for him instead of reporting him is scary.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Ummm, I say run as fast as you can and find another doctor. I agree he sounds like he is suffering from alzheimers or something. Good luck.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

wow,i agree with the others,he really does appear to be suffering some level of memory loss or worse.one BIG thing you really need to do BEFORE you go about seeing another doc,which i would totally do since this could become a huge issue for you down the road,is document EVERYTHING,i mean time the pharm was called(approx time is good) and every single thing he said and did and how the nurse reacted,everything(including any other staff names like the nurse who had to correct him).you may need to have this at some point.put as much possible detail into it as you can remember,down to everything stated about this incident from anyone in his office.they all have to know whats up and they are actually covering for a very highly negligent doctor.this is just soooo wrong in so many ways.i would also talk to the pharm and ask about any problems they may have had with him re other patients who have had similar situations to yours and by all means,tell them what you went thru there so if something should come up,they will at least have a little idea that things are not right in that docs world right now.thats just plain scarey.it may not hurt to make a call to the state board of health or some other org in charge of the docs medical license.what a freaking trip that must have been for you.marcia

Old 09-27-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

HOLA CRAZY!!
Wowza! My doc can be forgetful, and actually we all kinda laugh about it, but no where NEAR that at ALL! I would have had a hard time not throttling him. Sad to think he has three other offices, BUT if anything happened, Ill bet the other two nurses that work for him have some doozies to tell.
I hope you can find another doc fast, and document everything.
xoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 09-27-2007 at 07:09 PM.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

This is bad, Run, do not walk, to another doctor asap. Tell the new guy what was going on, someone needs to assess this man before he kills somebody.

What if he decided to tell the pharmacy at some point that he never wrote you a script for patches? By the time it was all straightened out, you could have spent the weekend in jail!

I would also call the state medical lisencing board, This guy has no business practicing medicine.
HTH, Fabby

Old 09-27-2007, 05:28 PM   #8
(male)

whitfield HB User

My doc can be forgetful too--has worried me a couple times, but nothing compared to that--You need to find another doc--ASAP--Roger

Old 09-27-2007, 06:47 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

YIKES!!! ...Sounds like Doc Grandpa needs to head for a nice retirement condo in St. Petersburg!! I would definately make an appointment to see a new doc and make sure you get a copy of your file ( no matter how little may be in it!!!) Memere (formerly KathyMc)

Old 09-27-2007, 07:34 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

I was also wondering.....

Didn't PM's use to be Anesthesiologist's??? It scares me to know there are people like him out there putting you to sleep for surgery and how many Nurses are covering for them?
Terri

Old 09-28-2007, 01:34 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Star, Some Pm are anesthesiologists, but some are alos Physiatrists, Osteopaths "DO's" , some are neruologist and honestly anyone can practice PM, from surgeons that have lost their hospital privlidges and can't operate to Gp's that are stepping way into a specialty they no very little about other than what reps tell them. The 3 Board cert programs come from anesthesiology, neurology and physiatry. In general anesthesiologist seem to practice more pain interventional procedures like blocks, ESI, RFA, nerve ablation etc etc. If a practice has an anesthesiologist in the group he's usually their needle guy or procedure guy.

Yes I thin he's passed his prime to the point of dangerous, Does he not have any partners or is this a solo act with a RN wife to look over his shoulder and make sure he takes his own meds each morning. Good luck and better to find out like this than waiting to hear he had a stroke or retired out of the blue.

Take care, Dave

Old 09-28-2007, 03:57 AM   #12
(male)

leebrown61 HB User

Sounds like you are in a really bad situation and it could put your health at risk. My doc just retired. He was getting a little forgetful but nothing like what you described. I would make sure to get a copy of your file to cover yourself and than find another doc.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:00 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Yes, He's solo. and his Nurse is a 20 yr old surfer girl, no wife, nobody.
She doesn't seem to want to leave him alone (I don't blame her), but the way she looks at me, is kinda like telling me (I wish I could talk to you).
I have this scary feeling she is going to call and tell me he retired or something. so I am looking for someone else.
Shoreline: Remember last month I wrote and thought it was strange to go from Lortab 10 to Fentanyl 50? and the fact he totally bypassed the Fentanyl 25s, I am not sure he even had the right chart then, I wonder if he wrote it in someone else's chart??????There are alot of opiates I haven't even tried.
I am wondering if I should talk to my GP about what is going on. This way, if I am left with no PM then he will know why and might take over again until I find someone else.
Terri

Old 09-28-2007, 08:57 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

by all means,YES YES YES please talk to your primary about this situation,my god terri,this man is just plain dangerous.your primary,if he is the one who referred you to this guy,should be getting monthly or whenever you are seeing him,updates in the form of a letter type of thing that just lets the referring doc know whats being done at this place for you.i know mine have a very direct contact with each other in this way.it would be interesting to read just what is actually even IN your medical file at your PMs.get a copy of those records just for yourself to read thru and see what actually was and was not documented.you just really need to know.just speak with your primary about everything that took place at this nightmare doc visit and see what he advises.but he really does need to be informed here.he may have a better referral for you.and knowing your primary knows whats up will make seeing any other PM that much easier for you in the long run.this old doc is just waiting to be slammed by the DEA.this is just total lack of everything 'right' going on in his office.this is just really a scarey situation.wow.but speak with your primary asap about him and hopefully HE can make some calls to the right places.this just is not right in sooo many ways.good luck terri.marcia

Old 09-28-2007, 09:29 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User

Wow...Star, Run like hell!! Since you are kinda new to PM (I assume you are since you said you haven't tried alot of pain meds), he could EASILY kill you with the wrong dosage or med combo. If he doesn't kill you, then you could also be the fall guy for the DEA since his documentation is so horrid. I would find a new PM ASAP! I know that's difficult, but until you find somebody new, I would take a little personal tape recorder and record your whole appointment. I would also talk to your pharmacist and document every single thing you can about the times/dates/names of when the pharmacist talked to him, when you talk to him, etc.

This just isn't a scary situation, it's VERY dangerous. Sounds like he needs some sort of comprehension exam for docs, too. Star, you need to start looking for another doc, but don't accept any scripts from anyone until you officially leave/fire him.....and when/if you do leave, document the heck out of everything on your "resignation letter". Be safe, ok???

Closed Thread