It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
(female)

LifeLost HB User
What happens if your meds are stolen/what lengths should you go to to prevent it?

I know this is kinda like the have you been attacked thread, but that one was getting a little long.

Ok, 1st I live in a small town and people know that I have a pain problem and am on narcotics. I've never really had a problem before, but I do worry. I know that if my meds or scrips are stolen, my doc won't perscribe and more. I have also been told that with the meds I'm on the withdrawal could kill you. I depend on my meds to get me out of bed at all and function the little bit I do. I dont know what I'd do without them. So what If they are stolen would I just have to stay in the hospital until my next scrip was due?

2nd, say you are traveling , or even just on a day trip, with your meds and someone tries to steal the bag/purse, etc. that contains your medications. Do you fight. If you end up dead it doe'nst matter obvoiusly, but being without the meds, well, I don't function. To what extent do you try to keep your meds, only if the person does'nt have a weapon?

Last edited by LifeLost; 09-27-2007 at 04:17 PM.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
Re: What happens if your meds are stolen/what lengths should you go to to prevent it?

Hi Life~
Im on the western slope iin a TEENY town as well. Denver is 5 hours one way for me. So, I have a dear GP who is in his 60's that I adore and am so blessed to have, and I know for a fact that if anything happened like that he would take care of me. I would go to any length to file a police report or whatever it took.
Some docs arent that forgiving. Dont risk your life for your meds. Thats my advice. Even if someone came iinto your home and took them, call and have the law come and have a report.
Best bet is to order a little safe with a digital combo and bolt it down to a shelf in your closet and keep your meds there. thats what I do!
They are very reasonable online for as little as 25.00
I dont let anyone know Im on meds. period. Keep them locked up is your best bet.
As far as when you go on a trip? i take just enough for a few days, maybe a couple of days more in caase of any travel problems, and lock the rest up.
I stay in hotels alot, and I always get one that has a safe in the room. NOT down at the front desk.
Hope this helps! let me know if I can help you any more~
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 09-27-2007 at 04:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2007, 05:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User
Re: What happens if your meds are stolen/what lengths should you go to to prevent it?

Get a small safe for your home, they have ones that can even be bolted to the back of a closet.

As far as traveling, only carry the meds you need, plus one extra day in case of emergency. Use a fanny pack or a small carryon bag with a zipper. keep it with you always, if you go to the bathroom, take it with you. on take off and landing, hold it between your feet.

If someone has a gun and wants your bag? I say give it to them, unless you have good reason to think you can yell or run or something and scare them off. You will only have lost a few days worth, and then you can have a family member fed ex you some more from home, and stretch them out to cover the days supplies you lost.

LOL I think if someone held a gun on me as I left the pharmacy, I would at least argue with them, please not me, I cannot replace these, go rob someone else, hey look, theres a guy with a cast on his leg! lol It is scary knowing that our meds wont be replaced.

~Fabby

Old 09-27-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

LMFAO @ you Fabbers!!!
Id say..."hey, how about that lady in the body cast? you know shes got to have some good ******!"
LOL! My dogs are looking at me Im cracking up so hard...
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 09-27-2007, 08:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Glad I could make you smile. LOL I would probably say that!

Old 09-27-2007, 10:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Life lost, It actually hapened to me, My neighbor is a junkie and before his last trip to rehab he hit me for about 80% of my BT meds 4 days after I got it filled. I had basically enough to take one dose a day.

Fortunately I already new the answer. It's in my conttract that lost or stolen meds will not be replaced even with a police report. They look to me to keep my meds safe. So i did without but I did file a police report, they did dust and interview the scum bag but bottom line was he had been a guest in my home earlier that day. Obviously I didn't know what was going on as far as him being on his way out of town because his wife had tossed him for the 10th time. He spent the day waiting to get a chance and when we went to dinner he knew he could get in if he tried hard enough.

A big safe really is the only thing to be absolutely sure, but not everyone has the room or money for a safe large enough to ensure they won't take the safe.

As far as taking a beating over the meds, Hell no. If I think I can easily handle someone, I will defend myself and and pay for it later. However when a weapon is involved common sense dicates how to respond, nothing is worth dying over. I would rather go 3 weeks without meds than get stabbed or shot. I'm not in a body cast and don't feel like an easy victim. As far as the tweaker next store, He's down to about 105 and I would love to catch him in my house, I might even drag him a few yards so he is actually inside.

But it is a nightmare knowing if he tries hard enough, he can get in. I reinforced locks, use cut shims in the window to prevent removal, but the bottom line is, glass breaks and if someone wants in, they can get in. All you can do is make finding them and gettting them out as hard as you can imagine.

I hide and break up supplies so I don't get hit that hard. I made it through that month without telling the same story every addict tells their doc to get more. I couldn't have a better relationship with my doc but I wan't going to risk it by telling him I can't keep my meds safe in my own house and asking him to make an exception for me. I still remember going years without proper pain relief so a month of being undermadicated is nothing compared to taking the chance of being discharged just like the contract explains.

Of course I think they should make an execption for me, You couldn't ask for a more compliant patient. I think they should make an exception if someone was obviously injured in an attack, but trust me, addicts have injured themself to get meds. Addiction can drive someone to take a baseball bat to their own mouth and knock some teerth out for a shot of demerol in the ER and a handful of percs. There just isn't a scenario that some addict hasn't used including robbing the guy next stoor in a body cast. So where can a doc safely draw a line and truly know he isn't being scammed.

Good luck and I know the use of guns is contreversial, but as the saying goes, you better not pull it out unless you intend to kill someone. Most people killed by gunshot in their own home are killed with their own gun. I'm sure it makes a woman feel safer, but if your close enough to an attacker, it's not that hard to take a gun from someone that isn't completely comfortable squeezing that trigger and taking a life over pills.

Take care, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 09-27-2007 at 10:40 PM.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:58 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

As a self described "gun nut" I can't let the comment about guns slide. The fictitious statement that most deaths by guns in the home are from the owners own gun is based on a very flawed study done years ago. It has been discredited many times but seems to keep floating to the surface. That being said, if suddenly stopping my drugs could be deadly then I would have no problem shooting someone to protect my supply. The key to this is getting the proper training and keeping the gun in a safe but accessable place. Because I live alone I can keep loaded guns in my house plus I have a concealled carry permit. I also don't make it a habit of telling anyone what drugs are in my house. Now I'll step off the soapbox. Fred

Old 09-28-2007, 08:45 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User

Hi All..you all know how I feel about this. So, All potential thieves/junkies LISTEN UP...You (the general word you, none of you.. ) attack me again or break into my house....you will be missing body parts....specifically, your head. My PM WILL NOT give early refills either, even with police reports. Like Shore said, he's seen it all. As far as me getting hurt or killed, well if it comes to that, go ahead and try. I won't go down without a fight. I'm dying anyway, literally. My only kidney is failing and I WILL NOT go on dialysis or transplant. My husband and parents don't agree with my decision, but, it's mine and mine alone.

Anyway, the only thing my family and myself agree on is our guns and protection. My father (retired peace officer), my brother (not in law enforcement) and myself, will go to any lengths to protect our families/property. Between the 3 of us, we have quite the buffet of armed weapons.

I live in a very quiet suburb (I don't even get my meds filled here). The only people that know about my meds outside of my parents/husband/brother are my PM doc, pharmacy (makes me weary due to what happened, eventhough, different pharm) and the local EMT's. My closest next door neighbor doesn't even know. The EMT's make me a little nervous, but I guess it's just left over from what happened.

Anyway....be safe!! I just wanted to add it's not like I go out shooting people for the hell of it. I've NEVER shot anyone (except for this doll out at the gun range....DIE DOLL, DIE!! I'm prepared, though, if it happens).

P.S. It's ok Arth, I understand. Welcome to the CCW club! Izzy is President (if you don't mind Izzy, you've been carrying longer than me. I'm Vice-President and you can be the Speaker of the CCW House. Ok, I'm being silly here. Hmmm....must be that freaking doll again. I think he's stalking me. Better get my Glock 9mm and take out his head! LOL

Last edited by friendly_one; 09-28-2007 at 01:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 09-28-2007, 01:21 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Thanks for the appointment ! I will try to serve the best I can. By the way, my house guns are a 12 guage and a 45 colt. I pray I will never have to use them.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:02 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User

You're welcome! I also have a 12 gauge shotgun in the house. The shotgun only comes out of the house if I'm hunting. My Glock 9mm goes everywhere with me in the car and sometimes concealed on my body. Of course, there are some public places you can't carry a CCW.

When you factor in the guns my father/brother both have (they also have CCW's), there are well over 10 different armed weapons (a couple are antiques...2 of my older uncles were in WWII, so my father has their collections. 1 pistol was taken off a German soldier (after my uncle killed him), the second weapon has a bayonette on it)....not to mention the stun guns and tasers my father still has.

So, when I visit my parents, I'm also WELL protected in their house, as well as my brother's house. So thieves/junkies, think twice about how far you want to go for your "fix". You never know who has what in their houses.

My parents are in their early/mid 60's, so you would never guess there is pretty much an arsenal of weapons in their house. Of course, my father is a VERY GOOD target hitter, being a retired officer, ya know? My mother can also protect herself, if needed, with a weapon. I had to laugh a little (actually, ALOT) with the reference to the old lady with a cast (Izzy, you almost gave me a coronary I was laughing so hard!) My Mom broke her arm not to long ago and I wouldn't mess with her for her supply! LOL

Everybody have a great weekend!!!

Last edited by friendly_one; 09-28-2007 at 02:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 09-28-2007, 02:25 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Arth, You may be right about the study, there are documants on the net to support just about any position on any debate you want. I grew up in a house full of guns, and believe we have the right to bear arms. I'm not anti gun, I'm anti "the wrong person having a gun and having a false sense of safety about it. A gun isn't the answer for every one and does't stop someone from breaking into your home while your out and stealing your gun along with your meds. It should be locked up in that 600 lb safe that's bolted to the floor.
Take care, Dave

Old 09-29-2007, 12:52 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

Withdrawls from narcotic pain meds. can't kill you. Although you may feel like your dying! The only withdrawls that can kill a person is from booze.Anyway,getting back to your post,if your meds ever get stolen,the first thing you do is file a police report! And as far as them being replaced,it depends on your doc,and your history,meaning,have you ever been known to get early refills,going to different doc. for pain meds.[doc. shopping] I'm not saying that you do these things,just that a doc. most likely will take this into consideration.
People's meds. getting stolen,it does happen.

Old 09-29-2007, 01:44 AM   #13
(female)

mzpain HB User

Withdrawals from barbiturates can cause death.
Mzpain

Old 09-29-2007, 12:48 PM   #14
(male)

zach016 HB User

Hi all,

Intersting threads!!

It did bring up a question with the last couple of posts. With the contracts that you have signed where it says your pain meds. won't be replaced if they are stolen, if you were on barbituates OR more likely a benzo., would the Dr. replace them?

Both could cause some serious problems if they were discontinued without tapering.

Zach

Closed Thread