It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2007, 06:03 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Oxycontin and Percocet

Are they the same thing except percocet has tylenol in it?

Old 09-28-2007, 06:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
Re: Oxycontin and Percocet

Yes Pepper,
Except Oxycontin is Long acting...BUT it is strictly oxy...
Oxycodone, Oxy IR and Percocet are short acting and have tylenol.
Oxycontin is a long acting med.
Shore is the best to help with stuff like this, but asfar as I know this is correct...
XOXOXOXO,
IZZY'SMOM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2007, 01:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

Hello!! That is correct Izzy! Oxycontin is time-released oxycodone without the a.p.a.p and percocet is oxycodone with a.p.a.p
When the doc. writes a script for percocet,the pharmacist will automaticly fill it genericly,unless the doc. writes D.A.W in the box[ dispense as written] and on the pill bottle,if its generic,it will say oxycodone,generic for percocet.If its brand name,it will say percocet. Theres also oxycodone without the a.p.a.p ,and not time-released, called oxycodone I.R [imediate release] I believe the brand name is roxycodone] Now when getting oxycontin brand name,on the bottle it will say oxycontin CR[ controlled release] when getting generic,it will say
oxycodone ER[extended release]
Anytime a pharmacist gets a prescription[for any kind of med.] he[she] will fill it generic,unless the D.A.W is in the box,or in some cases,thats all they have in stock.I hope I was of some help.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Okay, then why all the hype about oxy? Is it because people are abusing it by breaking it and chewing it? I take Percocet now and my primary is talking about switching me to oxy.

When I mentioned it to my surgeon, he about flipped. He is very concerned about me being on it or going on it. He told me to read, read, read about it. I am thinking that he may have had someone close to him abuse this med which is why he is so strongly against it.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

It does get confusing, when the ortho put wrote out script for percocet instead of oxy, he told me to take tylanol 8 hr. in between doses, my primary docs. nurse was really surprised & told me to watch the tyl. Taking the tylanol in between did not do a thing so I did not even bother, besides it had me worried. I will say to me for what ever reason the actual percocet script worked better then the oxycodone, is that because the generics involved? It gets pretty confusing. I get alittle concerned with the whole tylanol thing. Good thread pepper. Sammy

Old 09-29-2007, 10:33 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

OXICODONE does not have Tylenol in it at all.

Has Codein and Morphine in it.

I was switched from Percocet to Oxicodone since I am not allowed to have Tylenol ever again due to my taking Beta-Blocker and Coumadin.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

OXYCODONE DOE NOT HAVE CODIENE,OR MORPHINE
OXYCODONE,MORPHINE,AND CODIENE ARE ALL NARCOTICS BY THEMSELVES.Were did you get that info???? There isn't a pill on the market that has 2 different narcotics within themselves.
I'm %99.9 sure of that.Now percocet is oxycodone with tylenol.

Last edited by madhatter; 09-29-2007 at 11:40 AM.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:34 AM   #8
(male)

badoldback HB User

Oxycodone has neither codeine nor morphine in it. It is a different medication derived from a different opium alkaloid.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:37 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

You are very right badoldback !

Old 09-29-2007, 01:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Okay.. That clears things up.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:10 PM   #11
(male)

zach016 HB User

Hi 123,

To answer your other question, the reason for all the hoopla and warnings about oxycontin IS because, like you said, some people are abusing it by taking it in a way NOT prescribed by their Dr.. The opioid is the same, oxycodone, the problem is that one pill of oxycontin can contain the same amount of oxycodone as 10, 20 or more pills of percocet (without the acet.) depending on the dose of oxycontin. I'm not sure what the lowest dose is (5 or 10mgs. I imagine) but I know they took the highest dose pills (160mgs) off the market a while ago.

Abusers chew it an get the effects of all of the oxycodone at the same time. They also crush it up and inject it into their veins -- hillbilly heroin is what they call it.

Whats even worse is that kids, partying and not understanding, can take one of the 80mgs. pills and since they are opioid-naive, have serious problems.

That is probably why one of your Dr.s wanted you to read up on it.

There are chronic pain patients taking it responsibly and getting great results from it.

Zach

Old 09-29-2007, 05:15 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Thank you Zach.

I also found out that:

While Percocet has about five milligrams of Oxycodone, Oxycodone tablets contain Oxycodone in amounts of 10,20, 40 and 80 milligrams.

So if I am understanding it correctly 2 percocets would equal 10 mg of oxycontin.

If you are taking the 10 mg. of oxycontin is it releasing 10 mg over the 12 hour period? So one might be able to take less oxy then they would of percocet because you are experiencing a steady release instead of meds?

Don't mean to be dumb. Just trying to figure this out.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:38 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Pepper,

A 10mg oxycontin will release 5mgs of oxycodone within an hour, and then another 5 mgs at about the sixth hour. A 20mg oxycontin would release 10mg, then another 10mg six hours later. Does that makes sense?
I take the 10mg oxycontin, and percocet 7.5 mg for break-thru pain. I think it's a good drug. You just get longer and smoother pain control, then going up and down with the percocet. It does not work for many for 12 hours, myself included. My doc writes it for every 8 hours, and that works much better. Hope this helps! Let me know if I can explain anything else about this med, or share my experience.

Good Luck!

Old 09-29-2007, 07:56 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

That helps alot. May I ask how long you have been on the oxy? I am trying to research this medication and just have not decided how I feel about giving this a try.

I am allergic to morphine.

Does anyone know of any other alternatives for long lasting that does not contain morphine? I would like to research a couple other options and be prepared for a conversation with my doctor next Thursday.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:03 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Pepper,

I have been on oxycontin for about a year and a half. I was like you, and started with short-acting percocet only. I am also allergic to morphine. If you tolerate the percocet and it works for your pain, you should have great results with the oxycontin.

Other long-acting meds that are not morphine are: Opana, Fentanyl patches, Ultram ER, Methadone, ect.

I would give it a try. I had to go up to the 20mg, but recently had surgery and was able to reduce it. 10mg will not feel very powerful at first, but you notice a difference in your pain levels and how often you have the higher levels. The percocet is a roller coaster, as your serum blood levels are constantly going up and down, up and down. The oxycontin makes these dips and valleys much smoother and not as noticeable.

Your Friend,

Amanda

Closed Thread