HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Pain Management (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/)
-   -   Horrible generic medication experience should I contact the company (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/538157-horrible-generic-medication-experience-should-i-contact-company.html)

mike j 09-28-2007 09:26 PM

Horrible generic medication experience should I contact the company

I had my Dilaudid 4 mg filled last week. My usual pharmacists was not on duty. When I got home I discovered that they had given me Mallinckrodt brand.

I could tell a different immediately. I waited several days and called my pharmacy. I contacted the pharmacists who usually fills my scripts. He apologized. I contacted my doctor and asked him to write another prescription.he told me that this has happen before with other patients. I am very happy with Ethex brand. I also contacted Ethex and thank them for an excellent product.
I am going to contact Mallinckrodt and complain about an inferior product. I feel that they do not care because most people do not take this medication on maintenance basis. I am going to also ask my pharmacist if he can order different brands to try. I am wondering if this would be out of line. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Mike

erfan 09-29-2007 12:11 AM

Re: Horrible generic medication experience should I contact the company

Mallinckrodt has a reputation of supplying poor acting generic pain meds. Some on these boards call it mallincrap.

Best to ask for another generic or the brand wheneer you see that name on the label!

feelbad 09-29-2007 07:57 AM

there is a website that i unfortuently cannot think of right off hand that is a govt website that is governed by the FDA that you can directly report any problems with meds to.i am sorry i cannot think of it right now.i do think that shore knows this one,shore??

unfortunetly we are at the mercy of the drug co and whatever they decide to put in or not put into any given med(between 85-110 %).it is a sick little practice that has been going on ever since generics hit the market.in some cases,that 'difference" can kill someone who is taking meds that have a very narrow thereputic index,meaning their dosages have to be exacting or big consequences can occur.my son almost lost his liver becasue the generic pred he had been stabilized on right after his transplant did not get Rxed after a few months when something changed and we got a 'generic equivalent" that was much much less than what he was supposed to have.it actually placed him into rejection.transplant patients,epilepsy patients and patients who are taking something like coumadin,are all the types of patients who have the narrow thereputic index that just HAS to be exacting.its really a sick thing,really sick.

if you just researched FDA sites you will probably come across the one i am thinking of,unless shore or someone else here can think of it,as long as it is a govt website,we can post them here as per the mods.but i would also give Mall a big letter of your disgust with their product too.it cannot hurt.good luck,marcia

neurowreck 09-30-2007 03:39 PM

Doctors have forms to fill out for adverse medication reactions....you can offer to fill out the parts you can (the effects, your name, etc) to make it easier- and then have him do the rest. Get a copy. Then make another copy, and mail one in yourself.