It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User
Is honesty the best policy all the time?

Most of us here know that its very important to be honest with our doc. But there were times that it came up and bit me in the dupa!
I was taking 80 mg. of Oxycontin Tid. and 15 mg. of Oxycodone Bid. Also I was taking Valium 5mg. bid. for spasms and insomnia. I took myself off the Valium,because I felt I no longer needed them,also I felt I could be lowered to 60 mg. tid, which my doc. had no problem with. [this was in the beginning of spring]Well,my doc. left the practice in May,but she wrote the new doc. a letter saying that I was one of her best patients etc. I recently asked the new doc. if I could go back to what I was taking when the cold weather gets here,and very quickly he said were not going to make any changes now.[I didn't say anything about the Valium] I didn't want to push the issue,so I left it at that. I didn't know how to take that response.I'm thinking,did he mean not any changes now,but in the winter time,if he meant that,I'm thinking he would of said we will wait till the winter gets here etc.
Is honesty the best policy all the time?

Old 09-29-2007, 02:05 AM   #2
(female)

mzpain HB User
Re: Is honesty the best policy all the time?

Since you asked, I dont think so, at least it all depends on the circumstances, people etc... I feel that some negative responses from doctors when a patient is honest about something is cruel and it definately makes it NOT SAFE to be honest, and again it all depends. In my opinion , keeping ones mouth shut IS NOT being dishonest and sometimes it is just necessary, as a patient.
I feel there should be LAWS that govern the treatment of chronic pain patients, I mean ACTUALLY ENFORCED LAWS. It isnt fair that doctors can do anything they want, even if it is unjustified and down right wrong. If we cper's have to do this and that to protect the docs then they shouldnt be allowed to put us in unnecessary withdrawals just because they are paranoid, I am talking about when a cper hasnt done anything at all to warrant the bad treatment, because in my opinion, with the seriously high dosages of meds we are on, withdrawals could make some fragile minded people kill themselves, and that is really sad. Some of the horrible things we have heard on here about the totally mean spirited docs, nurses and doc assistants that shove their power around, makes them worse than the sneaky, lying drug addicts that makes things hard for us too.
Mzpain

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2007, 06:34 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

I know honesty can bite you at times but, the consqences for lying, in my opinion could be much worse. Thanks to the addicts we all have a cloud of suspicion hanging over us. If your pm things you are not being honest that might "confirm" his suspicion. When I go to my pm in a couple of weeks it will be confession time. For a long time I've been having chest pain that feels like a heart attack. Being the macho man I ignored the symtoms. Actually scared half to death. The pm has asked many times about chest pain and I said it wasn't happening. Now I've been checked out and no heart problems but that feeling is a good symtom of upper back problems. It's going to be a stupid feeling when that oppointment day comes! Fred

Old 09-29-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
(male)

unabear HB User

Doctors are busy and distant. They process less than .05% of what is *really* going on in your life.

Even my wife has no clue about what causes what with my meds. Taking meds and having pain is a 24 hour a day monitoring process, conducted second by second. Plus, I am too fogged to remember what happened 8 days ago (or yesterday) in detail at the doctor.

If you are having nauseau, for example, you may have to delay, reduce, or skip a dose of one med. I have had stomach pain for a long time, probably 2 years. Doctors are no help figuring out what causes it, they would just give me another script. So I stop and start things - naproxin, ibuprophen, lunesta, etc. What else *can* you do unless you talk to your doc 3x every day and drive them nuts?

Hit the high points. And make sure you are not lying to yourself!

I always try to type up my status a few days before my doctors appointment. I go over my pain logs to make sure I capture what is *really* going on. Then communicate the script at the doctor so you don't get muddled in unnecessary detail and waste that precious - short - time to get what you need!

But, that said, I have really been undermedicated for the last 6 years, with one exception when I reduced my meds with the doc. It is difficult to get what you really need sometimes. Lots of fear on docs part, exacerbated quite a bit by the DEA.

Good luck.

Best,
Michael

Old 09-29-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Mad,

I would explain that you try to lower your meds in the spring and summer, as your pain levels are lower. However, you then need to increase it in the winter as the cold really exacerbates your pain. (He should be able to find the change and documentation in your chart). Mention that this plan has worked very well for you in the past, and kept your pain levels low, and your functioning high. Who can argue with that?

I think honestly is the best policy. Just tell him that the med increase, along with the valium is what works for you when the weather changes. It shouldn't be a big deal. There aren't many pain patients that ask to reduce their meds once or twice a year. It makes sense that if you need less during one season, you may need more another. Good luck, and I hope this doctor has some common sense!

Your Friend,

Amanda

Old 09-30-2007, 09:46 AM   #6
(male)

whitfield HB User

mzpain said--Since you asked, I dont think so, at least it all depends on the circumstances, people etc... I feel that some negative responses from doctors when a patient is honest about something is cruel and it definately makes it NOT SAFE to be honest, and again it all depends. In my opinion , keeping ones mouth shut IS NOT being dishonest and sometimes it is just necessary, as a patient. --
I have to agree--If asked a specific question by my doc, then I will always answer honestly--but that does NOT mean I have to say everything going on in my mind (If I did, it may be misinterpreted etc.) When I have a question (which I always do, even taking a list of questions with me)--I listen to the answer and make mental notes so that I know where he is coming from--Roger

Old 09-30-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
(female)

mzpain HB User

Whitfield, You said what I ment better than me. I am always honest with my doctor, I just think VERY carefully about what I say, as to not be misunderstood. Once they think a particular thing about you, especially the negative, it is darn near impossible to get them straightened out. So I guess my advice to Madhatter is Be honest, just be careful about what you say and how you say it.
Mzpain

Old 09-30-2007, 05:03 PM   #8
(male)

acaptainn HB User

i,ll try to keep this short, most of it is said in another thread *fired my pm should i write his boss *

I abused my meds because i was undermedicated when i told the doc he cut me off, Honesty did not seem like the best policy at that point.

fast forward i talked to his nurse who relayed to the Doc ( after i had collected my records and was on my merry way ).
I explained i came in asking for help and got slammed. That im not seeking meds but painrelief, Ive been given an appt. And the Doc said lets start over.

At the same time i asked about methadone suboxone or some other med.
which i think help them to understand i wasnt drug seeking.

The appt is in late Oct. we will see how it turns out.

Closed Thread