It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

sherry1 HB User
Relaxing Techniques

Hi all

I have always had a problem relaxing my back which gives me neck an shoulder problems because i am so stiff all the time.

Since my back problem started i have'nt been able to lie flat because when i go to relax pain shoots up my spine.
Even when i went on my 8 week course of spinal exercises i was unable to do it.

I would just love to find a position just to give me some pain relief even for 5 mins.
Just to take me out of myself and think of being in a 'nice' place.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Old 09-29-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: Relaxing Techniques

Hi Sherry, Taking yourself away to a nicer place is what PM psychologist teach along with the regular psychology stuff. It was psychologist at 3 different PM clincs that tought me self hypnosis, guided imagry and the last one used bio feedback which just measures your ability to make physiological changes with your mind. Changes in skin tem or galvonic response isn't something you normally think about controlling, but they are signs of better vascularization which occurs when your relaxed. It takes weeks of months to learn and become proficient but it does work while your going through the process. I found it only gave me an escape for those 30 or 60 minutes I spent doing it.

I do know people that get better lasting results with these techniques, but those techniques are meant to do exactly what you describe as far as finding a beter place to go in your mind which alows your body to relax or vice versa. The problem is once you are back in the real world, trying to maintain that state of relaxation is tough. Once outside stimuli is introduced, screaming kids, demands at work or home, whatever, it's hard to stay floating on a mental cloud when dinner needs to be cooked.

Good luck, Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2007, 03:59 PM   #3
(male)

unabear HB User

I have been meditating for about 25 years.

I do visualization, self hypnosis, tapes, etc, too. But "mantra" meditation helps when *everything* else fails, even meds!

Sometimes I have to take enough pills to dull the pain to mediatate - it is hard to stay still when the pain is really bad. If you need to, try meditating in the bathtub. That is often the only place I am really comfortable. Better have someone handy though so you don't fall asleep.

I meditate a minimum of 1 hour am and 1 hour pm. That is a *lot* though, 20 min 2x a day is the usual "dosage."

I was on fentanyl, vicodin, cymbalta, lyrica, naproxin, and lunesta. But all that sometimes doesn't stop you from trying to squirm out of your body, let you sleep, or even rest.

When I can't find any peace, all I can do is meditate. Sometimes up to 5 hours a day when I was still working.

Teach yourself. There is a good book, easy, called "The Relaxation Response." Buy the older, 1980 version for $5 or so. Go to the chapter on how to meditate.

Or try the local docs, yoga schools, or Zen temple for classes.

Other good tools: Stretching in a shower/bath. Massage. Feldenkrais. Alexander Technique.

Good luck!

Best,
Michael

Last edited by unabear; 09-29-2007 at 04:01 PM.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

What about a nice hot bath? Do you have anyone that can give you a massage, even an ICYHOT one? I use a new body was by Dove that is for nighttime, as the fragrance is relaxing. I find that it does relax me. What about a good book? You can focus on what you are reading and get lost in a good book! What treatments, and meds are you on now?

Amanda

Old 09-30-2007, 02:29 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

sherry1 HB User

Hi all

Thanks for your advice.

I do my core stability exercises at home except the pelvic lifts because they are agony!!
Also do as much walking as possible.

There is no way i can have a bath. Good 'old hubby' had to fit a shower.
I have tried going to the pool but it was agony.
I use a floatation device that keeps me upright but i was in such chronic pain later.
Was it worth it?

Carnt even go for a massage which i would luv because i carnt stay on my stomach for long and any sort of pressure or just a light feel on my back is agony.

I am used to being in pain all the time an i dont whimp out of things.

My meds dont touch my pain an my consultant says nothing will help.

I want to try and help myself but i have always been told'if it hurts dont do it'!

Closed Thread