It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

letthatsinkin HB User
Help! Don't know what to do!

Hey guys,

Sorry if this comes across spastic, but I am at a 9 right now and I am going bonkers!!!

If you all remember, I had some bulging discs in my cervical spine and was without a doc for a while, but recently (VERY recent, like 1 month) found a new doc, he tried an epidural and ultimately put me on the patch. My neck has been feeling great and no complaints at ALL!!!

This morning I woke up with EXTREME pain coming from my LUMBAR spine - ***???? I've NEVER has issues down there. It is excruciating. If I get up to walk, its impossible. Even laying down is painful. As I sit here I am wenching, all this WITH the patch on!!!! its only 25mcgs but I am scared to death how this would feel without it. This is like a sharp stabbing pain that is soooo strong.

What do I do?? Do I go to the ER? Is that going to screw up my pm doc?? We didnt sign anything but I don't want to do anything to screw up this good relationship we are just starting. Although, I'm in such pain I don't know what to do. I just wonder what t he HELL is wrong with my lower back???? Would the ER do an MRI at least? Argh, someone please point me in the right direction because I sure as hell dont know what to do...

Old 09-30-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

lexusdog HB User
Re: Help! Don't know what to do!

Sunday are the slowest days for advice on the board.

I am so sorry to hear what is happening to you!

Yes, go to the ER. This will not do anything to you and your doctors relationship. It could always be something else. Don't take a chance and find out one day when your family is crying and your not around that you should have gone in. I think the doctor would be happy that he can get a report or diagnosis to help him understand what is happening with you. You will want to let them know about all your meds and what you are on. You will want to bring anything that will help them understand you history with you. And I would ask them to try and contact your doctor when you are there. If they send you home with any meds, I would call your dr office ASAP and tell them. If they are not in, leave a message with the details.

Biggest thing is to talk to your doc the minute you can and tell him everything that happened.

My 2 cents worth!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2007, 04:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Sounds like the patch was working, and you overdid it. You need to find out why its hurting like that, I agree to go to ER but I would call my doctor first and wait for his okay. I hope its nothing serious, although it sounds very painful.

HTH, Fabby

Old 09-30-2007, 05:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

It could be something that is not back related at all. The worst back pain I ever had, I woke up with. I went all day miserable, thinking I must have injured myself, but couldn't think of one thing I could have done. By midnight, I was peeing blood. I had a SEVERE kidney infection. It wasn't my "back" at all. I had to be hospitalized. Any new pain, especially this severe, should be evaluated as soon as possible. Good Luck!

Old 09-30-2007, 05:56 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

letthatsinkin HB User

Yeah the patch was, and is working for my cervical spine. Even as I write this I have no pain at all in my cervical spine.

I called and left a message for my doctor, but I have not got a phone call back yet.

I went to the ER and basically told him my story, that this is a new pain and that it is very severe (worse than the cervical spine ever was). He didn't think an x-ray would "do any good" and they couldn't do an MRI on the weekend. (????)

He gave me a shot of some anti-inflammatory which did nothing, so he discharged me with 2 percocets and told me to call my doctor in the morning.

I'm a little scared, I really don't know what could be causing this pain. I literally cannot walk, its so painful. Someone said it might be something else, I do have a history of kidney stones but from what I remember those hurt in the front of abdomen not in the lower back.

I'm frustrated, scared, everything you can imagine. I hope my pm doc isn't upset that I went to the ER - but I'm sure he wont be. I just hear horror stories on this board so you know the natural inclination to be scared.

Okay I think I am babbling again... :\

Old 09-30-2007, 06:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Okay, you went to the ER and they did NO diagnostic tests???? That is ridiculous!! This doctor completely blew you off! I would complain in writing ASAP. Not even an x-ray??? And the MRI thing over the weekend....BULL. So if you come in with a suspected aneurism in your brain, you need to wait until Monday?? I think not. He was just trying to get rid of you. This could be something serious, and you don't know any more than you did.

I am sorry, but that is ridiculous. Don't stand for that. Find someone to find the cause of this ASAP. You DO NOT develop severe back pain, with no injury, for no reason. Something else is going on, and maybe next time you should remind the ER doc that if he missed something, and you are at risk, he's liable! Oh I am so mad, I could go tell that idiot off myself!

I hope you feel better soon, and that this is a minor problem. You just shouldn't have to "hope for the best, but get no answers" when you were in a hospital for God's sake. Geez.

Last edited by butrfligirl28; 09-30-2007 at 06:21 PM.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

letthatsinkin HB User

All he did was push down on my theighs and ask me to push up.. and same thing on my feet. I even told him that I was very concerned that this severe pain developed overnight and if an x-ray/mri would help.. and thats when he blew me off.

If anything, I will write to the hospital to ask what my $125 copay went towards since no diagnostic testing was done. And this was in a "trauma center" ???

Crazy right? The pill he gave me in the hospital is wearing off so I can feel the pain coming back... the fentanyl patch is doing nothing for this "new" pain... (thank god the cervical pain is still under control)

Old 09-30-2007, 06:46 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

It is crazy. I would absolutely demand my co-pay back, and write a letter to the head of the ER, patient advocate, and CEO of the hospital. If you had this pain before, or your chronic pain was in that area, then I could see that treatment (still not good, but somewhat understandable), but what this "doctor" did is not excusable by any stretch of the imagination. I hope you feel better soon! So sorry your pain is so severe, and you have no way of knowing what is causing it. No wonder CP'ers would rather suffer then go to the ER.

Last edited by butrfligirl28; 09-30-2007 at 06:47 PM.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:55 AM   #9
(female)

morgyporgy HB User

i have got to agree with butterfly on this one. i went into the ER about 2 yrs. ago because of pain in my left foot. i was pretty sure it was a bout of gout but just to be safe they did an x-ray. THIS WAS ON A SUNDAY!!!! my heavens. it sounds to me almost like you were dismissed because he labeled you as a drug seeker.

my 14 yr. old daughter woke up one morning with excrutiating pain in her lower back. scared the hell out of me because we knew she didn't do anything and she is very active and healthy. i took her to the ER and they did everything including an x-ray and come to find out she had a severe urinary tract infection. THIS WAS ON A SUNDAY AS WELL!!!!

this is the most ridiculous thing i ever heard. you definetly need to complain. there may be something really wrong and they basically gave you an aspirin and sent you on your way. did they even ask you why you were in pain management?

i am so incredibly sorry for the way you were treated. this is a horrible thing. be sure to hang onto your discharge papers so you have addresses and the name of the doctor who treated you. please keep us updated. god bless, morgy porgy

Old 10-01-2007, 07:06 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

letthatsinkin HB User

he did ask why and made a smart comment about how i am on "heavy duty" medication. i made it clear that I was in the ER because I wanted to make sure that I was okay and find out what was causing this pain, thats when he said an x-ray "wouldnt do any good"

Old 10-01-2007, 08:43 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

I had this happen before I was even in pm. I went to the emergency room with major tmj pain. The doctor asked me questions, told me it was all in my head and gave me a tylenol.

I wrote to the hospital administration and complained. I did not receive an apology but my bill did disappear. Definitely complain about your lack of treatment. I love the "no mri on the weekend" line...at a "trauma" center?
This is why I stay away from the er...unless it's a matter of life and death.

I hope you find out what's causing this new pain soon.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:30 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

If I were you I would NOT fill the script for the few percocets, when you can get in to see your doctor, hand him the script and say 'I went looking for a diagnosis, couldnt reach you, and this is what they gave me in the ER'
Hopefully that will get his attention, at the same time reassuring him you are not a drug seeker.

HTH, Fabby

Old 10-01-2007, 06:01 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User

This is exactly why I stay out of the ER, unless my blood pressure/heart rate are out of control. Not a good thing in itself, definitely not good with only 1 kidney that is dysfunctional/failing (my other kidney was removed almost 2 yrs. ago). I hate the way they treat me and other pain patients (even with my 5" thick, literally, notebook of surgical/operative reports with me to document everything AND after talking with both my PM doc and primary care doc). Whenever they do offer me a script, I DO NOT accept it...Period!!

I'm on Oxycontin & Fentanyl for B/T, so even if I did accept/fill a script, it wouldn't do any good whatsoever. They have never offered me a C2 script (even if they did...same thing, keep it), just Lortab/Vicodin. I would love to tell them where they can shove their script!! A script for 10-15 pills (2 pills in your situation..or any quantity of pills) is NOT WORTH being fired from pain management!! I'm sure you all would agree.

Anyway, I always let my PM doc know if I've been in the ER, whether they give me pain meds (or not) in the IV or muscle, doesn't make a difference what they do. I just let him know. He never has a problem with that.

Take care!!

Last edited by friendly_one; 10-02-2007 at 08:15 AM. Reason: spelling/add info

Old 10-01-2007, 08:49 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

TWO PILLS??? DID I READ THIS CORRECTLY? I am MAJORLY P*ISSED...If you do not go to the head of their crazy stupid hospital or whatever they call it, well...
Im MORTIFIED!
This is crazy...Im so upset i can hardly read this. Ppl who allow this crap are only paving the way to why CP patients are treated the way they are.
I hope you can get the courage to sue the h*ll out of them and buy a house or at least a pool.
xoxoxooxxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 10-02-2007, 10:41 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZZY'SMOM View Post
TWO PILLS??? DID I READ THIS CORRECTLY?
xoxoxooxxo,
IZZY'SMOM
When I snapped my arm in half one week after surgery they gave me ONE oxycodone!!! The was supposed to last me a couple days until I could get in to see my orthopedic doc!

Closed Thread