It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
(female)

mommy2babies HB User
Vitamins and narcotics???

Can I take a multi vitamin if I'm on narcotics?

If yes, how far apart do I need to take them?

If no - why not?

Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback!

Last edited by mommy2babies; 09-30-2007 at 12:18 PM. Reason: forgot something

Old 09-30-2007, 05:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User
Re: Vitamins and narcotics???

Sure, you can take vitamins. just follow the directions on the bottle. If you want to take any herbal suppliments, more that just a regular multi vitamin, check with your pharmacist for any possible interactions with your other meds. Some herbal remedys are every bit as strong as a prescription med and they can have dangerous interactions.

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water to help flush the vitamins through your system.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2007, 08:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

fabby is right.just watch out for the herbal remedys of suppliments as some of those can affect certain meds.but i have been taking a regular multi vitamin for many years while taking narcotics and have had no problems.i just take it with my morning meds.if you want to really be certain about all the meds you take and taking anything else,just ask your pharm,they would be able to tell you with pretty good certainty what may react with what.narcotics are not usually any real problem,its all of the other meds that seem to have issues.you just need to look at everything you are taking yourself and see whats up.your pharm has programs that can ID any possible interactions.Marcia

Old 10-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #4
(female)

mommy2babies HB User

Thanks for the info!

Old 10-01-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User

Hey there kindred kidney friend (Marcia "feelbad"). Just curious..which multi-vitamin do you take? I assume it would be ok since I only have 1 kidney and you take the multi with your PKD. I hope all is well!!

Old 10-02-2007, 08:24 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i have to say K i was very relieved to see you posting again,i honestly thought the worst there for awhile.scared the crap outta me there hon.i think your very last post was on the kidney board and then you fell from the face of the earth.i 'called' for you there for awhile and got no post back.SOOO glad you are alive and kickin.

i do take just a basic type of multi vitamin everyday and am now also drinking ensure just because i keep losing wieght like crazy.its nuts,really.just ask your neph before you actually take one,with your kidney stone hx,there could be some sort of restrictions for you personally,he would know for sure whats okay.just so darn happy your'e back hon,missed you.Marcia

Old 10-02-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

jodom1979 HB User

I take a multivitamine daily .. I dont know if it is a plecbo effect or they really do make me feel a little better. Im on narcotics as well.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:31 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User

Hi Marcia...sorry I hadn't been posting for a while. I didn't mean to worry you!! I'll keep this short since it's not my thread. My only kidney is failing. For more detail, go to the kidney board. Bye for now!! I'm alive, for now, but who knows how much longer.

Closed Thread