It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 01:58 PM   #1
(female)

mzpain HB User
Refill Timing

Hi all,
My question is one that most everyone can respond to. When counting your 30 days for prescriptions, does your doc count individual days or use a computation method?, also does your doctor let you pick up your next script on your 30th day or make you wait until the 31st? when you are completely out? I know Sundays are slow, all responses are appreciated. Thanks
Mzpain

Old 09-30-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User
Re: Refill Timing

My pm doc usually prescribes extra so I can refill when needed. For example: 1/2 to 1 tablet 3 times a day. If I use the 1/2 three x's then I'm good to go when it's time to refill.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

lexusdog HB User

I am not sure why or how this works for me, but when I am prescribed a month worth, I can go in at the 3 week mark for the refill and it will go throught. I go in evey 3 weeks and get the refill and that way I always get a week of storage to put away. I don't mind this. I never knew why it is, but I take advantage.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
(female)

morgyporgy HB User

My PM schedules my appts. every 4th friday. so every 28 days. he knows that during my monthly cycles i have a REALLY rough time so that gives me a few extra for those bad days that mother nature bestows on me. i don't have insurance so getting my filled as far as the pharmacy goes isn't an issue.
God Bless, morgy porgy

Old 09-30-2007, 03:29 PM   #5
(male)

unabear HB User

Same here - 23 days seems to be the magic number for my insurance company. The pharmacy does not care, you can go earlier if you pay cash.

Careful though. I get 3 months worth of scripts at a time, so if you do 23 + 23 + 23 days, you are about 21 days short of your true next script date with the doc. ;>)

Old 09-30-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

I don't have a PM doc, so my reg doc writes prescriptions for the med- example Ultram 50 mg every 8 hours as needed for pain, and gives me 60 pills, or if taken as often as I could, 20 days worth. If I go in any sooner than that, the pharmacy computer red flags it, and they call the doc (there might be a day or two 'grace'- haven't tried it, as I usually pick up meds monthly when my disability check comes. Most pharmacies have computers like that now, so if you're asking too early, it alerts the pharmacist, but most insurance companies have a built in 'grace' period to allow for getting meds for weekends, and not running out. You might call your insurance company, and ask about a non-pain med, to see what the policy is....

Old 09-30-2007, 04:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

I'm on the every 28 days thing also. every 4th tuesday, I go to my doctors office and pick up my prescriptions, so yes I have to wait until I am completely out.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

I have to wait until I am completely out, and sometimes my appt. won't be until 5 pm. Those days are rough, as I have to go ALL day with no LA or SA meds!

Old 09-30-2007, 05:52 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

That stinks- won't your doc adjust the rx for another pill or two to deal with the 5 pm issue- that's just cruel.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:13 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Nope, and to make matters worse, some nurses count different than others. One in particular has made me wait the day AFTER my meds were due......TWICE. Even after the pharmacist backed me up, and said she must have figured the days supply wrong, she refused to budge. Then they "have until the end of business hours" to get your script ready. She was so ****** I got my pharmacy involved, you better believe she made me wait all day! GRRRRRRRR!!!!

Old 09-30-2007, 06:24 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

Most of the time I pick my scripts. up at the office,3-5 days before my re-fill is due.But I don't get them filled until 28-29 day. Some of yous stated you go as early as 7 days. I was under the impression that by state law[guess it varies]
you can't get a schedule II narotic refilled any earlier than 5 days.I've never heard of going 7 days early. My pharmacist would never allow it,2 days at the most. Myself,I go as late as I can,because everything is documented,and in the past when I had to find a new doc. because the old one retired ,it was in my best interest when the new doc. looked at my chart.Me and my pharmacist chat alot,and he was telling me,you hardly ever see anyone getting there prevacid,high bloodpressure meds,etc. filled early,but the narcotics,all the time.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:32 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hi MZ, My docs done it the same way for years. What day I pick up a written script doesn't really matter, The do pill counts and check fill dates. They write down the next aloweable fill date on the encounter form I take ho,e and it's 30 days from the last. MIt's not complicating to calcualte day 30 and he ewrites to fill on or after day 30. Months that have 31 days, he deducts 2 days from the month. Say you filled a 30 day supply on aug 20th the next fill date or day 30 is sept 18, sept only has 30 days so the next fill date is on or after Oct 19. This allows me to fill on day 30 of a script which really gives you that days worrth of meds extra every month if you fill on day 30 every month.

Recently my doc has given me 90 day supplies, I counted from day 1 to day 90 in about 40 seceonds on a calander,July 6th was day 1 and oct 3rd is day 90. My doc can do the same math at my next apt and come up with that same fill on or after date when he checks the bottle to see what day I filled the last script. I happen to be seeing him on day 90 but that rarely happens and my doc isn't involved in the actual scheduling. The mistake was mine in not thinking that far ahead back in July. Not that it matters because I'll still have day 90's meds untill I fill the script that day.

Ask your doc, it just seems crazy not to know what he expects. If he doesn't use a contract, ask him point blank," I don't want to get in trouble, How do you calculate 30 day supplies".
The key is to find out what he expects and be compliant with that. If you can't live like that, look for a new doc that you think is being more reasonable.

Good luck, Dave

Old 10-01-2007, 06:02 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

One bad thing about waiting until the last day is what if the pharmacy is out of your meds. I used to run into that a lot with my late wife's cancer meds. The pharmacy didn't want to keep the expensive ones in stock. Needless to say we s*****ed pharmacies.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:18 AM   #14
(male)

unabear HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by butrfligirl28 View Post
I have to wait until I am completely out, and sometimes my appt. won't be until 5 pm. Those days are rough, as I have to go ALL day with no LA or SA meds!
Great! So they have you scrambling, running around town in the midst of witdrawl, trying to get meds? I can barely function sometimes if I wait too long.

Not sure about state law. I asked my pharmacist if the 23 day thing was due to the DEA. He said no, it was the insurance company.

I guess I am lucky, relative liberty though my PCP. But I have been seeing him - and complaining about pain - since 1991. Did not start on narcotics until 2003, which was a huge mistake. Wasted my health being unable to sleep, etc. due to pain. Not to mention the strain on my marriage, work, ....

Old 10-01-2007, 11:05 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

I am really fond of the 28 day plan, I havent had any trouble since I went on it. I pick up my scripts every 4th tuesday, and go to the pharmacy.

Normally I get up at about 6 or 7 am, so on the days I fill, I don't usually get my first dose until around 11 am, depending on how backed up the pharmacy is, Thats not ideal, But I greatly prefer it to the old days on 30 day fills when sometimes the pharmacy would make me wait 32 days.

If the pharmacy occasionally doesnt have your wifes meds in stock, Artur, I would start calling them a week before her refill, and check back every day until you know they have them. do this for a few months and they will stop forgetting. When I was first on tramadol, over a decade ago, hardly anyone had heard of it and my pharmacy was always running out. I started calling a week in advance and they started paying attention and making sure my meds were there.

HTH, Fabby

Closed Thread