It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
cortisone injection questions

I have been having major problems w/ pain & inflammation in an area form upper back/scapula area all the way around through shoulder into chest. Went to rehab. doc this morning (worst bed side manner I have ever seen in my life) & was told after last MRI he was not arguing with insurance any more for further tests, insurance would not allow all the areas to be done on script only approved shoulder area, which showed some problems, but believe there may be more. The doc. said he was going inject the area where he felt was giving the most pain (today) & where alot of inflammation was. Well by the time he was done moving my arm & shoulder around Everything hurt, throbbing so bad all over, he just pushed on an area & said he was going to inject there because it was giving me alot of pain. Well when he injected I about went through the roof, he did warn me it would hurt, But the strange part is I had pain right after injection travel down rib area & around to back (like a constant stitch in my side). It is so painful it hurts like heck to breathe. Weird thing is I was not really having a problem in that area where the pain is after injection. The doc. had me move right after injection & wanted to see if the pain was still there, of course it was. He said If I am going to have relief it would happen by tonight. Is this normal after an injection? Can't figure out why I am having so much pain in other area after injection. Next week he will try another area if I have no relief after this injection, I am alittle nervous, so though I would ask any of you who may have had injections into muscles. thanks sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2007, 01:45 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User
Re: cortisone injection questions

I usually get relief right after the injection until the numbing agent wears off then it gets quite painfull for a day or two. It sounds to me like he didn't numb the area before the injection. My pm does all kinds of stuff to help the pain from the injection. Just a thought! Try ice. Fred

Old 10-01-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
(female)

shelby3195 HB User
Smile Re: cortisone injection questions

Hi Sammy,

I'm new to this so please be patient with me. I just saw your post and had to join this group as I read about your problem and immediately got a panic attack!!
I too had the exact same thing with the cortisone injection in the shoulder area. I too had such intense pain first from the injection and had to be put down on the table because of the pain and feeling very weak! I lay there for about a half hr and then got up to leave. I felt this intense pain around my ribs, back, and of course the shoulder itself!! I thought it was all from just the cortisone injection and went about my business. I tried to do a little shopping and run some errands and the more I did this the more pain and out of breath I felt!! I came home and each breath I took, I had such bad pain I couldn't move without termendous spasms and pain.

I could not get out of bed for four days with this extreme pain and loss of breathing and weakness. But I waited for two and a half weeks before I went back to my Dr. and told him I needed a chest x-ray and that something was seriously wrong. To make a long story short...what happened was when my Dr gave me the cortisone injection, he also collapsed my lung! I don't want to scare you at all! But just to let you know, please do not do like I did and wait to see if it will go away. There is a great possiblity that your Dr might have hit the upper part of the lung cavity and collapsed it!!!

If you happen to be tall and skinny, which for some reason that gives you more of a possiblity for this to happen as your lung area is higher up than other people and closer to the shoulder area. Please have this checked out as soon as possilbe, if not for you, please do it for me as I personally signed up today just to tell you my story and to tell you not to let this go on as long as I did!! It scared me the second I read your story, as it was so similar to mine and I had to join to tell you my story so it doesn't happen to you.

I will pray that this isn't the case, but for all reasons I have given, please ask or get a chest x-ray done to make sure this isn't the case at hand. And I do hope I didn't scare you too much, but caution is the best medicine and we need to be our own best advocates when it comes to our health!!!!

I am still recovering and in fact ended up with a staff infection after everything else. So whatever you do, please watch for any signs of breathing problems or stay on the side of caution and have a chest x-ray just in case! I wish you all the best and hopefully this is not the case with you and I jumped the gun so to speak.
May God bless you with good health,
Shelby

Old 10-01-2007, 03:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Shelby, Thank you so much, did your pain go around the your lower rib cage & radiate to the midback around the side & did it start real soon after the injection? Believe it or not that was one of the first things I thought of, I was wondering how close to the lung was that injection? Most of my pain is around in the mid back, but never had it till I had the injection, boy it hurts to take a breath in bad, even hurting around the top back now. I am very small 5'2 114 pds. I hope this is not the case. is there anything I can do till morniing to get relief? Even my pain meds are not helping out alot with this, & to top it off I have a terrable cough from a cold hurts to bad in the back to cough. I will be calling my primary tommorrow if it is still here. I was throbbing so bad I don't even know where the injection was done, somewhere between the shoulder & chest. What do you think? Put other posts up waiting for some replies, I will let you know, I so appreciate your post,

Fred, what numbing, was I suppose to be numbed? I did ice it right away.Oh heck I am so mad at this doctor. & he wonders why I am stressed out. Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 10-01-2007 at 03:43 PM.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
(female)

shelby3195 HB User

I hope this is the right place to reply to you Sammy!
I tried to find you and see if you had posted back with anything, and it took me awhile, sorry for that my dear!!
I had the exact pain your talking about right now, even with the breathing and around the ribs, chest wall, you name it, it was hurting everywhere from the waist up!! If I were you, call your Dr first thing in the morning and tell him/her your condition and fears! They may not believe it, but too bad, its your body and you do what you think is right.

Don't wait like I did, as I almost died due to his malpractice, and now I'm suffering from post traumatic stress from what happened and also needles and injections!!

Your fears are justified and therefore you do whatever you need to do. If you feel worse during the night, go to the ER and get checked out. Just because your on the small size, I don't think this will make a difference, if anything it might make it more in favor of having it done to you also. My injection was done right between the shoulder blade and in the little cusp of the collar bone..like right in the middle of the shoulder blades..does that make sense..hehehe..I'm not too good with computers, nor explaining it on here with words, but I'm trying my hardest to explain it to you. I hope I'm doing ok for now.

If your breathing gets worse with any movement or bending down or you find yourself having alot more trouble than normal, please take action. If your pain is on one side more than the other, thats not a good sign either, and if you still have horrible pain with every movement, take action. I already take morphine for my fibromyalgia, and that drug never touched this pain what so ever, so you know I was in pain!!! So if you feel this bad, and still not breathing properly or feel you can't get your breath, I would do something tonight. But just keep an eye on yourself tonight and if you aren't comfortable with the way your feeling now, then by all means, go to the ER!!!

I hope this helps you some. Let me know if this helped at all and if not, I'll try to explain it a little better if that's possible..lol!
But please take care of yourself tonight and if you do start to feel more uncomfortable and unable to catch your breath or you feel you can't take in as much air as you need, I would definitely go to the ER and be checked out!!
I do hope you feel better and I pray that this isn't the case at all with you, as I wouldn't like to see it happen to you. But I saw your post and I did kind of panic when your symptoms seemed so similar to mine. So you were the first post I ever made on here!!

I'll keep you in my prayers that everything is fine and you start to feel better very soon my dear!
I do hope you can get some well deserved rest too~
Please keep me posted on how you are, ok?
Shelby

Old 10-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Sammy, please go to the ER. Don't wait!! I am worried about you.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:28 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

I'd go to the ER as well....ask to have a chest x-ray to see why you're having breathing problems after the injection.

I had a knee injection before my replacement (by about a year), and I turned beet red everywhere (but no hives, breathing trouble, itching, etc)...I did end up passing out at work, and was hauled off by ambulance- turned out I had pyelonephritis with sepsis (kidney infection spread to blood stream) and didn't know it because the steroids mask symptoms of infection. Turning red after those injections is common- keeling over isn't !!

But get that lung checked out. Even a small puncture (easily fixed) can cause big pain. Ease your mind and get it ruled out

Old 10-02-2007, 04:32 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shelby & Pepper & all, abit better this morning, but I am coughing like you would not believe, don't know if it is from this cold, my husband held an ice pack on my back so I could try to cough last night, the pain when I coughed it was terrable, it hurts this morning but not like last night. This is just to weird, all I can say is this occured right after the injection. I don't know about the injections so could not figure out why I felt that way. I am at a total lose. What a mess, I have to figure out what I want to do before next monday, next rehab appointment. I am willing to do anything to get rid of the pain I am in, even injections but I don't know about this doctor. Hopefully I will get some replies on some of the posts. I normally would not put up with people like this rehab. doc, but I am desperate, I am thinking of asking about a pain managment doc, if I correct they do injections also, anyone know? Shelby it is not a fun area to be injected in that is for sure, now I will be nervous about it. I am an emotional wreck due to this pain & what it is doing to my life & this doc sees that, you try to be honest with doctors & it gets you no where, Who the the heck would not be upset over 2yrs of their life being drastically changed & not knowing what the heck is going on. I will watch today & see how I feel. Shelby was this pain better when you slept or stayed inactive? sorry for all the questions, better to be prepared. I am hoping it was just a freak thing, I already know if I mention it to this doc next week he will read me the riot act. I have got to find another doc. You guys are so wonderful,god bless you Shelby for being so caring & replying so quickly, thank you so much, lets see what happens today. Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 10-02-2007 at 04:34 AM.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:27 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Sammy. I hope you have gone to ER. You shouldn't be having all these problems from an injection. As for the pm docs doing injections, mine does them and most of the time the pain from the injection is minimal. I'm not sure what he adds to the steroid maybe lidocain? Good luck. Fred

Closed Thread