It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 02:04 AM   #1
(male)

marcnine HB User
what is stronger darvocet or tylenol 3?

what is stronger darvocet or tylenol 3?

Old 10-02-2007, 04:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
Re: what is stronger darvocet or tylenol 3?

Tylenol # 3 (meant for moderate pain) is generally considered stronger per my MD's opinion- other docs may feel differently; my doc has given me DCN-100 (meant for mild pain) for years for mild pain, and recently, after finally giving in and telling her it wasn't enough, gave me Ultram (meant for moderately severe pain)-- during a period of headaches, she tried Tyl #3, I had leftover knee replacement meds (hydrocodone sorts), the hospital- was admitted, gave me Fioricet- none worked until Midrin and increasing my Inderal back to its original dose. But for my general pain, DCN works for the "eh" days, and Ultram works for the "yikes" days....on "shoot me now" days, I add the muscle relaxants, which don't help much with the pain, but help me not care !! I also take doxepin which helps with pain perception (I'm game to try whatever- no matter what it's really for). For now, it's ok....

More than you asked- Sorry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2007, 08:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

the one big thing i found after trying both meds years ago is that(for me) darvocet always seems to work much better on more inflammatory type pain than ty 3s.just a thought.i really do think it really comes down to just what type of pain you are trying to treat and where it is at.the darvocet worked much better on my abdominal pain caused by endo than ty 3 ever possibly could,it just did.Marcia

Old 10-03-2007, 04:29 PM   #4
(male)

marcnine HB User

thank you...i just recently found out i have phlibitis and nothing seems to be working at night to help me sleep...it is like a pounding throbbing pain .the Dr. gave me Naproxen and it is really hard on my stomach and Tylenol #3 as needed...so far nothing and i feel like i am going to lose it!!!! i just want to sleep and feel normal like everyone else

Old 10-03-2007, 05:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

The good news is that Phlebitis will go away soon but it can be very painful and if these drugs are not working for you call the doctors office and change or increase your Tylenol#3. You can take 2 pills every 4 hrs. For sleep you might try over the counter Benadryl (Diphenhydramine hydrochloride..the generic is cheaper). Naproxen should not be taken at the same time as your Tylenol#3's but I assume you were first given Naproxen then the Tylenol #3. Good luck.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:25 PM   #6
(male)

marcnine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnD View Post
The good news is that Phlebitis will go away soon but it can be very painful and if these drugs are not working for you call the doctors office and change or increase your Tylenol#3. You can take 2 pills every 4 hrs. For sleep you might try over the counter Benadryl (Diphenhydramine hydrochloride..the generic is cheaper). Naproxen should not be taken at the same time as your Tylenol#3's but I assume you were first given Naproxen then the Tylenol #3. Good luck.

thank you too! the Dr. said that the pain wont go away even after minor surgery and the Benadryl does not work anymore...i take that for my allergies...Naproxen and Tylenol#3 together eh? might give that a try but the Naproxen has really messed up my gut...i think its because the other Dr. told me to eat 800 mg Motrins every 4 hours because he didnt want to prescribe me a narcotic and looked at me like he didnt believe i was in pain even with a huge bulging vein in my lower right leg and a swollen groin...good news is...i slept for 3 hours last night

i have tried Neurontin that my mom had given me and it worked pretty well...how do i go about asking or telling the Dr. that the meds dont work without sounding like a drug fiend? people abuse these things and it makes the people who are really suffering look like liars...

i am going to buy some tea by Yogi Tea with valerian root , mabye that will help some...at night while i cant sleep i feel anxiety the longer i try to sleep and then 9 am rolls around and i say " why not just stay up?" so i do in hopes that i can fall asleep at an earlier time but to no avail ...i can never get comfortable and i find myself pulling my leg out of the covers and then back in...opening the window closing it again over and over thinking something is going to change, but as usual nothing and my blood pressure stays level at 150 over 100 or a little higher and my heart rate has been at 104 and 96 the last two Dr. visits and they try and tell me my leg does not hurt that much...i dont get it...its driving me nuts!!!!

Closed Thread