It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 07:34 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Confused do doctors numb area before cortisone injections

Trying to figure out whether it is common for doctors to numb before doing cortisone injection into mucsle. Some people are telling me they are numbed first, since these injections are new to me thought I would ask. I was not numbed, so I want to be better educated & prepared for next injection. A little confused on the whole injection thing. Thanks, Sammy

Old 10-02-2007, 07:44 AM   #2
(female)

shelby3195 HB User
Re: Confused do doctors numb area before cortisone injections

Sammy..how are you feeling today? Are you better with the breathing problem and pain or what? Just checking in to see how well your doing today.
Take care,
Shelby

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

If you weren't you can be,all you have to do is ask.i have had to have several cort inj into my knee and both my ortho and the rheumy doc i saw that did these used lidocaine first.it does help and you can ask for it if you think you need it.i do think it helped some since i has a couple in several places there.they CAN do this for you,thats what i am trying to say here.tell whoever is doing them that you had alot of pain with the last one and would really prefer a shot of lido or maricaine(both are numbing agents depends on what they use) first.they can accomodate.if they have the capability to do any type of injections there,they also have lido.pretty much goes with the territory ya know?hope they help.Marcia

Old 10-03-2007, 03:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Thanks feelsbad, I hope more people respond, like to know what is the norm. here, I know there are certain area's that certain kinds or numbing agents have to be used, I seem to remember something from my MA class where there is area certain type of lido. cannot be used. Just really looking for answer since this doc. has me so concerned with his behavior.

Shelby, I am feeling better, still alittle pain when I breathe, but not as bad, So I am of course still confused. It is terrable when you hate to bring this stuff up to doctors. These kinds of docs. make it hard to trust others. I usally have very little range of motion in my left arm or shoulder & yesturday I had alot, & the pain was controllable with my meds, so the injection must have done something, alittle more pain this morning so I am waiting to see how the day goes. Funny, I may have finally found something that will help me out & now I am scared to get the injections. I have alot of problems (pain, inflammation, musclespasms) in my left upper chest area, so I am assuming they are going to stay around that area with the injections. My problem encompasses the whole upper back (around scapula) around the shoulder/arm & upper chest & at times the neck. What problem did you have that caused you to have the injections done? Did you ever attempt another anywhere else? I have no choice if they help my pain gets incontrollable @ times & is present everyday, limits me in every aspect of my life. I just can't believe I may have found something & I just don't think I can bring myself to go back to this doc. He had me so upset I can't remember most of what he said. I have no choice but to try to figure out why the breathing thing occured, with my problem it can be painful to breathe, but that experiance was completly different, never ever had that before. Every time I had to cough that night I just cried. I am not sure what happened but to scary to repeat with this doc., I feel if I went back & told him he would blow off what I was saying. Were you numbed at all & what kind of doctor did your injection? That doctor was definantly off the wall, when he came into the room with the syringe & iodine to cleanse the area he just looked at me & said " I can't give you the injection through your clothes" he never even told me to remove my top or prepared me in any way other then saying the injection would hurt. He had me so upset I was not thinking clearly. Very unproffessional. I am so glad you have came on the board, I still am not sure what happened but I know now to be careful, any clue what may have occured? I wonder If he could have just nicked the lung or something. It had to have been something, because I felt it with in minutes of the injection. Thanks Shelby, Hope you can answer some of my questions. Sorry post is so long. Sammy

Old 10-03-2007, 05:21 AM   #5
(female)

morgyporgy HB User

I have had cortisone injections in both my knee and my left hip and I was numbed both times. The one in my hip did not hurt. The one in my knee hurt but i think it's only because they had to drain quite a bit of water out before the injection.

I had no results at all with the hip injection but the one in my knee was a godsend for about 2 1/2 months. As a matter of fact i am getting another one on the 17th. This one will be done by my PM dr. who did not do the first one so i will let you know if there is any difference in how they handle the procedure.

I am glad you brought this up because i damn sure want to be numbed first. LOL god bless and i will post about this after i get the shot on the 17th. morgy porgy

Old 10-03-2007, 05:59 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Sammy, I've had so many injections in my back it's a wonder it doesn't leak when I have a drink! My pm doc always adds something to the shot to ease the pain. Whether it's a trigger point injection,a facet joint or an epidural. Even if I have sedation he numbs the area. One time the nurse was having a problem putting in an IV line and the doctor took my other arm. While I was watching the nurse dig into my right arm he put one in my left. I never even felt it! I don't know if all of them are as good but I pray you can find one that will treat you right. I don't know what part of Mi. you are in but MPC is in several cities in West Mi. good luck. Fred

Old 10-03-2007, 06:16 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

My numbing med was combined with the cortisone for my knee injection, and it was incredibly painless. I was horrified at the idea, and for nothing. They stuck a pillow under my knee to ease positioning and opening the space they needed available for the injection, wiped it clean, and stuck me- 30 seconds, and the whole thing was over.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:06 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ok guys I am beginning to understand alittle more about these injections, thank god. I am going into primarys office today, my doc. is out of town(my luck this week) so I will talk to the nurse practioner & pray she understands. I just cannot see myself going back to this guy, I keep thinking about that visit & when he was injecting my chest area I was in so much pain he just looked at my face & said whats wrong? After telling me it would be painful, what a stupid question. I am alittle afraid because it hurt so bad to breathe after the injection, you just don't know with doctors, I just cant see paying someone to treat you that way. That was the second visit this guy raised his voice to me. My family asked me why the heck I let him near me with a needle, I was desperate. you would think he would have explained alittle more about the injection other then it is going to hurt.
Fred, god bless you I live in macomb county area. Don't know if you know the area. I just want a good doc. I will be the first to admit I am now going to be wary of any new docs. Wish me luck, Sammy

Old 10-04-2007, 08:02 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Sammy, I'm sure there are qualified pain management doctors on the "sunrise side". Good luck. God bless. Fred

Old 10-04-2007, 01:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks to you all, I went to my GP today, told them about the visit with rehab. doc & injection. Bad news is I have bronchitis & all the coughing is aggravating the other problems, so she felt I need to try to go back to this doc. on monday & take someone with me, meantime they will try to find another doc, perhaps pain maganment. She also said take something for my nerves before I go, to deal with the doc & injection, I am serious. I will not get into another doc. right away & the GP office can't do the injections because of the location. Gosh, I am a nervous wreck, but I will have to go, I really can't believe I am afraid of this guy, almost embarressed to admit it. But he has the attitude & the needle. Wish me luck, I am definantly going to need it. By the way the pain with breathing after the injection not normal she said & can't figure out why it was so painful. Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 10-04-2007 at 01:50 PM.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:42 PM   #11
(female)

shelby3195 HB User

Hi Sammy~

I'm sorry its taken so long to get back to you, but things are really hectic here. I have read a few of your posts about how your feeling now, but you asked why and how it happened to me. So, here goes nothing..hehehe..

I have severe fibromyalgia and cervical fusion surgery that failed, so my pcp was trying to do cortisone injections for trigger point therapy, and we both know what the outcome was!! Not good thats for sure. And now the administration of the hospital is looking into his actions and also now he's questioning my use of narcotics and why I'm still on them..like he doesn't remember or what? Now he's really afraid of treating me at all, nor filling my scripts, so I also have to go see a pain management dr who I had seen once before and he was horrible, never did even pay him for the 20 minutes he spent with me, and now I'm going back to the same guy??/!!! UGH!!

My apt with the pm dr was suppose to last almost 3 hrs and it turned into as I said, 20 minutes and no treatment options. So, I went back to my Dr and he is the one who has been precribing my long acting meds for over a year now, or up to now that is, and all of a sudden, with the hospital questioning him and probably the DEA questioning him, he is treating me like he can't remember why he put me on the la meds in the first place!! I am beside myself with grief just like the other girl that mentioned now going to a pm Dr and not sure what to do!!

My pcp did numb the area up, but once he put the needle in the middle of the shoulder, he immediately hit the lung and down I went on the table telling him I didn't feel right. So, I lay there bawling my eyes out in pain and fear of what just happened because I couldn't catch my breath. Then after a half hr I left and went about my business in extreme pain and loss of breathing!! This went on for two and a half weeks before I finally addressed it with him and found out he did indeed collapsed the lung, but only through a chest x-ray, and then I was immediately put into the hospital for a chest tube insertion and staying there waiting for the lung to inflate and let the lung heal some, but ended up with a staff infection and costi-chrondritis, which is normal after having a tube stuck into your chest!!! They hit every nerve possible trying to get that dang tube in and of course it goes through tendons and anything else thats in the way. Oh yes, I didn't or couldn't do anything for those weeks this first took place and was even afraid to leave the house in fear that I was not going to make it back home from not being able to breath right. I had no energy or anything, and of course the pain was just terrrible!!! Even my mscontin didn't touch it, so you can imagine how much pain there was!!!

Now I'm even having panic attacks over needles in general and of course going to this pm Dr, I'm afraid he's going to take me off my meds!! I can't get out of bed in the morning until my meds kick in, so I have to lay there for a good hour before being able to get up and do things, like go to work and everything else us women do!!!!! I just don't know what to do now with this pm Dr and what to tell him. He thinks I'm coming back just for the fibromyalgia and its not, its for my other many chronic pain issues, so I better beable to tell him all this, as alot of Dr's don't even treat fibro with narcotics, let alone anything except anti-depressants!!!!

Did you have a chest x-ray or not? If not, I would definitely ask for one just to make sure everything is alright!! It sure would make you feel better wouldn't it??/!!!

Does anyone else have any ideas about pain management Dr's and what to say to them? I need some great information on it and want to make sure he understands me and how I live everyday in constant pain!!

I'll be back my dear..gotta go get my supper ready..
I hope you're feeling better Sammy..
Sparkling and shine brightly,
Shelby

Old 10-05-2007, 05:02 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

My gosh Shelby, What a terrable experiance, heck no wonder you have a fear of needles, I would. I am in pain everday to, that is why I willing to try anything that can help. What is up with these doctors? I really feel you have no choice but to be up front about all the pain, blows the mind that of all docs. a pain managment doc. would not understand, hence the title PAIN MANAGEMENT. I have a feeling that is what is going to be recommended to me. I had a chest x-ray, bronchitis, she did say the painful breathing is not normal after injection. I have to go back to this guy until I get into someone else, The office said to take a valium before I go monday, it will relax the chest muscles & help me cope with this doc, also take someone with me. I am sweating just thinking about it, but I cant chance the pain coming back full blown, the coughing is making it all worse, I am sure it would feel abit better without the cough. Pain it a terrable thing to have to deal with everyday, I know I work to & have had my hrs. cut back to barely nothing. Passed up great job offer, that makes me want to cry alone. I can't get over these doctors. I feel really bad for you, I wish you luck with the PM doc. Can you find another one? After listening to your story I am going to order my records & keep a copy at home. I meant to do that anyway. These docs. have to cover their rearends @ the expense of the patients. That is a shame. I wonder why some of them bother becoming doctors. you can't help someone without alittle understanding & kindness.If they only knew how much that makes a difference to the patients.
I am so glad you came on the boards, use them they are a big help, people have been through so much & can offer good advice (like you did) & support. Keep me informed. I truely hope you get some relief & understanding, perhaps we will both find good docs. I still find the painful breathing to weird after the injection & I am afraid to tell this guy, but I am going to. When is your PM appointment? Be up front & honest, tell him you just want to get the best care & relief from all this pain. I will be keeping you in my prayers, Wish me luck! Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 10-05-2007 at 05:05 AM.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:56 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I just wanted to chime in with my experience. I have had many cortisone injections in my feet. The first podiatrist did not numb the area before the injection but did put lidocaine in the injection so it didn't hurt so bad afterwards. The second podiatrist used something that numbed the spot where he did the injection. I never actually saw it but it felt like a rubber band snap and then when he put the needle in I barely felt it. Hope that helps.

Brian

Old 10-06-2007, 04:29 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Brian, I wish the doctor would have taken the time to explain about the injections, I am learning alot from all of you. I have to go back monday & not looking forward to it. Sammy

Closed Thread