It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 10:27 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

kaydenxo HB User
advice needed please respond.

hi,
i have some questions, i have not yet been to see a pain managment doc yet, so im wondering what to expect if you guys could give me some insight. right now ive been seeing a primary doc for severe fibromyalgia as well as 2 compression fractures in my spine, she has me on pain meds, oxycontin, as well as a lighter dose of oxycodone for BT pain, she is wanting me to see a pain doc, as she can only have me on these meds for a certain period of time. I rely on these meds to be able to get out of bed and function, im in constant chronic pain. Im wondering what a pain mgmnt doc does, ive been hearing some bad things, i have years ago went through trigger injections, physical therapy, biofeedback, etc. and nothing helped, however i was told by a family member that pain docs, dont like to write scripts, im worried as to what i would do if that would be the case, im scared that being taken off my meds i will not be able to live with the pain, so my question is what do pain management docs really do>>>???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
(female)

momhurts HB User
Re: advice needed please respond.

I am new to this group and have the same questions too. I am only on the short acting percocet but also need to manage pain. I am not sure if I was referred to pain management because my doc didn't want to keep prescribing or because he honestly feels a pain doctor can help me in other ways. I really don't even have a diagnoses yet. I don't mind accepting other alternatives to help manage my pain but I just don't know what to expect. I hope we both get some help. Do you have an appt set for a PM doctor yet?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
(male)

zach016 HB User

Hi,

It sounds like your famly member may have run into a Dr. that only does 'procedures'. They are out there because doing them pays real well and they don't have the DEA to worry about.

The vast majority IMO, of PM's do prescribe strong opioids to their patients. Obviously they have to see and/or do tests of their own to determine if the patient would benefit from taking these meds. and that all other types of treatment have been unsuccessful.

Expect the PM to keep very exact records of all medications they prescribe and expect them to have you sign a contract before they do prescribe them.
The contract will state;

-you will only get Rx's for pain meds. (and some other meds.) from them and no other Dr. except in cases of emergency. And that in cases of emergency you will contact their office as soon as possible to explain what happened. Make sure you know what they call an emergency.

-you will only use one pharmacy for prescriptions.

-you will be called upon to take a urine or blood test to make sure you are taking the meds. they prescribe (and not selling them) and that you are not taking any other meds..

-you will be called on to do a pill count sometime to make sure you have the proper amount of pills left until your next prescription date.

-most will not give you another Rx if your meds. are stolen from you, or you flush them down the toilet or basically for any reason that you run out early. Addicts have made up too many stories over the years and PM's have heard them all.

and a few other things that I can't recall right now.

If you don't comply with the contract most will stop seeing you as a patient right then and there. The Dr.'s have to be very wary of the DEA and can't afford to keep a patient that isn't complying to the contract. So don't be put off that they ask you to sign a contract.

Others will be along to add what I've missed.

Good luck

Zach

Last edited by zach016; 10-02-2007 at 11:16 AM. Reason: add

Old 10-03-2007, 01:55 PM   #4
(female)

Cloy HB User

pain clinics are a good place, they will go thru your medical history, examine you, and deside their course of action for you. They do indeed give out prescriptions for pain medications. I'm sure once in a while there are doctors out there that do not give out meds, but most pain clinics are very attentive to their patients. Don't be afraid, go and get the help you can........good luck

Old 10-04-2007, 06:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Hi all, I am going through the same thing, I am seeing a rehab. doc right now, but am requesting to see someone else. Pain management has been brought up to me more then once. I have yet to have a diganosis either. I am glad this thread was started thanks, I want a doctor who can understand & treat me to the best of their ability, trying cortisone injections right now & want someone who can do this type of thing with some compassion. My primary also said cannot prescribe pain meds for any length of time so must be a reason why. Good luck, Sammy

Old 10-05-2007, 06:39 AM   #6
(male)

whitfield HB User

Threads like this one worry me as I use my primary to prescribe all pain meds--he has for the last 3 years--he did send me to 2 different "Pain Management" doctors--the first one did not deal with pancreas and the second one did not take my insurance so my primary has continued writing me 90 day supply of (30)-100Mcg patches with percocet(60 for 3 months--small 5/325 dose) for breakthrough. Why did your doctor say they can only prescribe for a certain period of time? Sure hope that is not true, at least not here in Florida. Like I mentioned, he has been doing it for me for several years and even though I know he does not like it, he does write the prescriptions. Good Luck, Roger

Old 10-05-2007, 07:00 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I am so sorry you have so much pain...
I strongly believe that this all depends how good is your Dr. Personaly if I see a Dr who is interested only on sending you for epidurals and despite the fact that it brings you more pain for month without any relieve, sends you for another one and so on - I run.
I found an excellent one; he spent with me 1 1/2 with me asking questions, evaluating me like nobody did before (I went to HSS) and he sent me to have tests done which confirmed his diagnoses. Even though I am very upset since I was diangosed with non-operable condition (I had my first 2 levels fusion last year) but at least I know exactly What this is and how to handle it.
I have no problem with my DR prescribing me PK. In fact I am allergic to Morphine, he is working around it (which is not easy) calling my pharmacy from NYC sometimes 2-3 times a week , changing my meds.... I call him a Doctor from the big letter D, he realy is.
Good luck to you in finding a good DR and to feel better.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:30 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

The best advice I can give you, is to embrace this as an opportunity for better pain relief. I would discuss your pain in detail, and how the pain is effecting your life. Use specifics, such as: I can no longer work, I don't sleep due to pain, I cannot clean my house, I cannot cook like I used to....ect. Good luck and let us know how it works out!

Closed Thread