It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
(female)

hadenoughpain HB User
Question Tired of taking pills

I have been on so many kinds of pain pills for the last two years till its not funny. It drives me crazy having to stop and take a pill. I had a spinal fusion almost one year ago with no relief in sight! I have been through physical therapy and the epidural injections still no relief. My pain management doctor just says take these pills come back and see me in four months. Does anyone have any advice??? My pain sometimes passes a ten! I am even wearing my tens unit but sometimes that doesn't work. All that I am wanting is some relief.
Thank you!!

Old 10-02-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
(male)

whitfield HB User
Re: Tired of taking pills

I felt the same way about taking pills all the time--having to carry them with me etc. etc.--Then doc put me on the Duragesic Patch--Put it on and lasts for 3 days (well, at least 2--supposed to be 3)--but do not have to worry about carrying pills everywhere--something to discuss with your doc--Good luck--Roger

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
(female)

hadenoughpain HB User

Thank you for your reply. What is your story? Did you have back surgery?

Old 10-02-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
(male)

whitfield HB User

No, no back problems thank God--Most people on these boards regarding chronic pain have back/neck problems--I have chronic pancreatitus probably caused by chemotherapy--have had quite a few health issues in the past few years--last year had both hips totally replaced--again from medication(prednisone) which they used in treating my Multiple Sclerosis--But, I can walk, drive short distances and live independently, so I can't complain too much--Lots of people are worse off than me--I have always said that pain was easy to deal with--BUT, I have never had a problem getting medication either--Lots of people have a difficult time getting doctors to prescribe proper medication--It can be difficult as you will learn in reading some of the posts. Seems as if your doc at least will prescribe pain killers--are they opiates? If so, he may be willing to prescribe LA(Long acting) pills that should last 12 hours and I have even heard of 1 type (avinza I think) that is supposed to last for 24 hours. Take Care--Roger

Old 10-02-2007, 05:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Hi Had,
I would ask the doctor about going on something long acting, like the patch, which Whit mentioned. Keeps people off the clock watching/every 4 hours treadmill. I am still on short acting meds, I had a neck fusion over a decade ago, My new doctor has offered to put me on methadone, and I am considering that.

Good luck and welcome to the board!
Your Friend, Fabby

Old 10-03-2007, 08:41 AM   #6
(female)

hadenoughpain HB User

I have heard of the patches. I was on lydaderm patches before my surgery but they didn't work. I know a few people on methodone for back problems they say it does wonders but it leaves you feeling very light headed. So be careful and thank you very much!!

Old 10-03-2007, 09:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Hadenough-
Just wanted to chime in here with everyone else. I totally agree with the previous posters regarding something long acting. Many PM doctors are moving towards the LA meds. It makes it easier for the patient because they aren't stuck "clock watching", and also, it leaves you with less medication to keep up with. Also, with the LA meds, you don't get that up and down effect like you do with the short acting medications. Many people still do have short acting medications available for breakthrough pain just in case, but there are some PM doctors who only use LA meds and do not allow breakthrough meds.

There are many different long acting medications out there that you can discuss with your doctor. Duragesic patches have already been mentioned. Other options are the methadone, oxycontin, Avinza, Opana ER...there are quite a few. I wouldn't necessarily go in and ask your doctor for specific medications, but you certainly can tell him your concerns with the short acting medications and having the watch the clock and then ask if there are any long acting medications that he might consider allowing you to try.

Your concerns are valid, and it may be that your doctor isn't really aware of them therefore, he hasn't brought up the possibility of the LA meds. And, it could be that your particular doctor prefers using the short acting meds too. You never know until you ask. Different doctors have different methods and protocols.

You mentioned lidoderm patches, and I've used those before. They kind of worked on some of my pain areas, but didn't do anything for my areas of nerve pain. They also bruned my skin, so we ditched them a long time ago.

One thing to remember with starting LA meds is that they doctors usually start you with a fairly low dosing schedule, and the titrate you up to the levels that manage your pain good enough to allow you to function. With some of the meds it also takes a little time for them to build to a steady serum level in your system, so you won't always see immediate results with them.

I think a lot of us have encountered the same feelings when it comes to having to take so many pills, but eventually you kind of learn to accept that this is going to be part of your life in some way or another. It was hard for me to accept that my life will involve daily pain levels of some sort or another. Some days are better than others, and I even get some really good days thrown in there where the pain is almost unnoticable, and for those I am truly thankful.

Talk with your doctor about your concerns, and let us know how it goes. Hopefully you guys will be able to work something out. Good Luck!

Old 10-03-2007, 05:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzybug View Post
Hadenough-

I think a lot of us have encountered the same feelings when it comes to having to take so many pills, but eventually you kind of learn to accept that this is going to be part of your life in some way or another.

I am so tired of taking medicines but if you switch to long lasting in my eyes you are admitting that this is going to part of our life forever. I am not ready to accept it. Maybe this is part of the chronic pain cycle.

Last edited by ms_west; 10-03-2007 at 05:52 PM.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:54 PM   #9
(female)

chiapatchie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrashamx View Post
Hi Had,
I would ask the doctor about going on something long acting, like the patch, which Whit mentioned. Keeps people off the clock watching/every 4 hours treadmill. I am still on short acting meds, I had a neck fusion over a decade ago,

My new doctor has offered to put me on methadone, and I am considering that.

Good luck and welcome to the board!
Your Friend, Fabby

Fabby... I tried 5mg/Methadone for about six weeks with plain oxycodone for BT pain.

Getting OFF of that poison was pure hell and took every day of about three MONTHS of **** awful WD agony!!

PLEASE, Fabby.......stay as far away from methadone as you can get, dear!!

Old 10-03-2007, 11:23 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Thanks Chia,
Yeah I have heard coming off methadone is no fun, But if it worked for me, I would probably be on it for the rest of my life. I do know it has worked really well for a lot of people on here. Right now it looks like I wont be going on it, because after being on the ultram for over a decade, The doctor isnt sure my body would every be able to tirate off it slow enough to prevent seizures and other problems, and he doesnt want me on the ultram and the methadone at the same time.

Thanks for the heads up, though!
~Fabby

Closed Thread