It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 11:18 AM   #1
(male)

mikep422 HB User
Question new job and pain meds

I have a question i just got offered a great job i had to take premployment drug screen i take oxycontin 20 mg and i know it will show up can the employer not hire because i tested for this and yes i do have a perscription and i do not abuse it thanks for any replies

Old 10-04-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Re: new job and pain meds

Sometimes they have a blanket policy, and sometimes it depends on the work you're expected to perform. If you are going to be operating equipment or your daily interaction with others takes you into hazardous areas then you might have problems. If the job is mostly at a desk or otherwise sedentary then maybe they'll allow it.

Best of luck!

steve

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2007, 07:52 AM   #3
(male)

JoJo921 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep422 View Post
I have a question i just got offered a great job i had to take premployment drug screen i take oxycontin 20 mg and i know it will show up can the employer not hire because i tested for this and yes i do have a perscription and i do not abuse it thanks for any replies
I had the exact situation at hand with a job that I was offered and it really depends on the employer. Because you have a prescription there should be no problem at all, however depending on who is doing the hiring and how big the company is, it is a matter of them willing to take the time to talk with you to get the facts straight. Some companys just dont want to be bothered and the screen comes back pos. for opiates and they just assume you are a drug user and go on to the next candidate. I would call the personnel dept. and explain your situation to them this way they know before hand. Good Luck

Old 10-08-2007, 11:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Mike-
I don't know the concrete answer to your question because I've heard different stories about people having different experiences with this.

I've heard that during the testing process they ask if you are on any prescription medications and if so, what kind and what dose. This way, when it shows up in your urine, although you are taking meds, they report that the test was clean.

I've heard the same situation where the test came back positive for opaites, however those meds were legit and didn't cause a problem with the person being hired.

BUT, you also hear the stories about someone taking legit medications and not being hired too.

Like the other posters mentioned, a lot of it has to do with the prospective employer and how they feel about it, and what kind of work you are doing. If you are required to operate heavy machinery or drive a company vehicle, then the use of opiates would not be acceptable for liability reasons.

Did you let the testing personnel know you were taking legally prescribed medications before hand?

I do hope that if this is the job you want, that your medication will not keep you from getting it. Good luck & let us know!!

Closed Thread