It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Lidocaine Patches for Knees?

Has anyone tried or does anyone know if the lidocaine patches can be used for osteoarthritic knee pain?

steve

Old 10-04-2007, 11:56 PM   #2
(male)

brentskib HB User
Re: Lidocaine Patches for Knees?

I've used the lidocaine patches for an area in my back that is in constant spasm. It completely relieves the spasm because it numbs the area so my muscle relaxes..
I'm not quite sure how effective it would be for arthritic type pain.
It sure can't hurt to try.
Order the smallest amount you can(as they're expensive) so you can try them to see if they help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2007, 10:09 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

jodom1979 HB User

I love them. I use them for Nerve pain in my knee. good stuff. Though WAY over priced.. luckily I dont pay for them.

jon

Old 10-06-2007, 08:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

this would kind of depend on a couple of things.first of all,would you be able to keep them in place?it kind of depends on just where you need to place them.you can cut these patches to fit a particular area so thats good.also,it kind of depends on the pain itself and how you would actually respond to lido that would dictate whether or not they would work for your individual pain process.i use them all the time on many different areas of my body.like i said,it all depends on how responsive the particular pain is to lido and how far down into the layers of tissue the trigger is.but they are always worth a shot,you may be suprised at the results.some docs actually have free samples of these,you can always ask and see if yours does,as they are somewhat spendy.but for me personally,they have really helped sooo much for certain areas.one other thing here is they do make an actual lido 5%(same as the patches contain) ointment too.i also use this in the areas where you just cannot fit the patch.it does work,but not quite as good as having the constant contact like you do with the patch.

one other thing i wanted to mention is have you ever tried the TENS unit for your knee?i have RSD in mine and the TENS really is the ONLY thing that helps in bringing down my pain flares that get just plain ugly.as long as you criss cross the trodes and wires so the signal passes right thru the actual pain area,it can do wonders for you.placement is just really key with the TENS.but your doc can send you to a PT person who works with patients and the TENS and can show you the best trode and wire placement for your individual needs.i am sooo glad i gave the TENS a shot now,we travel together everywhere now,just incase.its always worth a try with just about everything.you just really don't know how well anything will work for YOU and your particular pain til you justgive it a try.i would highly recommend it.just a suggestion for you.my father had very heavy osteo in both knees and also used the TENs before he had both knees replaced.he said the TENS and doing the 'bicycle" leg excercises in a hot tub at this club he joined really really helped with his pain and also helped maintain good muscle tone.just a thought for you.just give some things a try and see how they actually work for you and your particular pain process.you just never know til you try,really.good luck and please let us know how things are going,K? Marcia

Closed Thread