It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2007, 08:24 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User
Where do you feel the nerve pain? And how?

I am so not sure how to ask this question. I hope someone reads it and knows what I mean. It is in relation to pain and nerve pain. It seems when I am in the depth of pain especially nerve pain I get this awful feeling in my throat area and lungs, like I am in a musty old attic breathing in the dirt and also like you have a scratchy throat. I had a ct scan of the chest and I already knew there was nothing there. It has to do with pain. Noone seems to know what I mean. I also feel it in my upper body. Like all over. Sorta like a brain freeze. My PM and neck doc tell me they have no idea why I feel this way but I do.

I have nerve pain mosly in my left arm. It always feels like it is wet and cold, or like it is in a freezer defrosting. I take Lyrica and I have breakthrough pain now and take 75mg 2x. I also take the max of Ultram and kick in a perc or a hydro when I need it. But my pain is not like completely disableing but does keep my mind on it all the time. I do have to watch what I do and pay for most things later. Like when I work out.

I have read some messages about Cymbalta too, my family doc who is a DO and also has tons of neck issues wanted me to take Cymbalta and gave me samples which I took for about a week before I checked into this medicine and found that you cannot take it with Ultram, I wondered if anyone does?

Pain sucks but it is here for life, so how do we deal with it? For me I have a 2yr old who needs a upbeat mommie, so I am for him. I have changed a lot and not in a great way so my goal is to get my life back. I may have to retire to do it but I will and I am only 44. What else can ya do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2007, 06:39 AM   #2
(female)

chiapatchie HB User
Arrow Re: Where do you feel the nerve pain? And how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backinthesaddle View Post
I am so not sure how to ask this question. I hope someone reads it and knows what I mean. It is in relation to pain and nerve pain. It seems when I am in the depth of pain especially nerve pain I get this awful feeling in my throat area and lungs, like I am in a musty old attic breathing in the dirt and also like you have a scratchy throat. I had a ct scan of the chest and I already knew there was nothing there. It has to do with pain. Noone seems to know what I mean. I also feel it in my upper body. Like all over. Sorta like a brain freeze. My PM and neck doc tell me they have no idea why I feel this way but I do.

I have nerve pain mosly in my left arm. It always feels like it is wet and cold, or like it is in a freezer defrosting. But my pain is not like completely disableing but does keep my mind on it all the time.

Pain sucks but it is here for life, so how do we deal with it? What else can ya do?
Dear Friend:

One thing I have learned, after asking numerous Docs, is that when the weather creates a LOW PRESSURE FRONT (29 or below) I know I'm in for a lot of misery until the FRONT passes and the pressure rises back to "normal" (30 and UP)--THAT IS A FACT--because the effected joints become more inflamed and presses on nerve roots!! Living in FLORIDA, where the weather changes about three times in a single day, is nearly unbearable now! I dread seeing a gray sky first thing in the morning.....

I had a disectomy/lamination at L4-L5 along with spurs, etc., chiseled off at L5-S1. But, because too much bone and tissue were cut off, it resulted in a complete collapse of the entire L4-S1 vertebrae!! What was once a bulging disc that caused occasional and painful back spasms IN ONE PLACE ONLY, has turned into a MAJOR back/buttocks/legs and NEVER ending pain issues.

Personally, I think you described nerve pain to the letter... And, I promise you I surely know exactly what you mean.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:53 AM   #3
(female)

imforty HB User
Re: Where do you feel the nerve pain? And how?

I have nerve pain mostly in my fingers and one toe. Under the nails. It feels as if my fingers have been hit by a hammer. Just that throbbing, stabbing pain. Electric almost. When I was taking neurotin it worked great for the pain but I felt like a zombie all day. I was making major mistakes at work. good thing I work with my husband.

It is awuful because its not a pain that others can really understand.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Backinsaddle:
I also have nerve pain but not the same kind of feelings that you have. I have taken ultram for quite a while and my PM doctor put me on the cymbala with it. I said, I though you could not take those two together and he said that it was alright to do. I could not take the side effects from the cymbalta plus it set off my bipolar not in a good way. I also taken Lyrica (600 mg) and it does help. I just recently started on the patch which is helping as well. Maybe you should try increasing the Lyrica before starting on the Cymbalta. Just my opinion.

Brian

Old 10-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #5
(female)

chiapatchie HB User

BRIAN'S COMMENT:
I said, I thought you could not take those two together-- and he said that it was alright to do. I could not take the side effects from the cymbalta plus it set off my bipolar not in a good way...
====================================

I really like and appreciate my PC doctor because he MAKES you talk to the pharmacist before you're even allowed to pick up ANY meds...including just a renewal of a med you've already been taking. THE PHARMACIST (this is at the Veteran's hospital which...by the grace of God because I joined the Air Force and am now a veteran...takes care of all my medical needs) then reviews ALL of my meds I'm currently taking, checks my blood tests, and, discusses any problems he might see.

Yes I am lucky and blessed in that respect...but, I'm allergic to so many drug groups that it is difficult to treat my pain.

HOWEVER ..... I often wonder if PM and PC docs even know anything about the meds they prescribe to so many of YOU people I follow here on the boards!!

Old 10-09-2007, 02:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Chiapatchie:
Thank you for the comments and that would be really great to have a pharmacist sit down with you and review all of your meds, conditions, etc. The problem with the Cymbalta was that I was on samples. Then after I told the PM doctor about the problems that I was having like more depressed, suicidal thoughts, going into rages, anxiety. He told me to stay on it and increase it. This was the last straw for putting up with this doctor. I found somebody else who actually cared and wanted to help me. I am off the Cymbalta for good and returned back to my calm, normal self. It still makes me mad the way he treated me. He also didn't treat me well becuase of being a recovering addict as well. Thank God I found a doctor that is willing to work with me and put a little trust in me as well.

Brian

Old 10-09-2007, 06:38 PM   #7
(male)

whosit HB User

I have trigeminal nueralgia type 2 and it is severe nerve pain. I found lyrica to be ineffective for me at treating it. i currently take a 20mg and 10mg oxycontin pill 2 times a day with percocet 10 for BT pain and it seems to doing just fine. I am sorry I cant really offer any real advice but i wanted to show my support and try to help in anyway i can. i hope you feel better soon!

whosit

Old 10-11-2007, 07:04 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

I appreciate all the comments, I have noone to talk to other then you guys, people just do not understand nerve pain. I am having a hard time when I increase my meds either the Ultram or the Lyrica with functioning fully at work. It is causing me to consider a medical retirement from my profession. I have had such bad days lately that I have to take more to get control of the pain and then I am good for a few more days.

I wish someone else had the throat, chest and ab ache. It is just so hard to expain. And I have NO help from my PM. I am so upset and frustrated I can not stand it. I saw him Tuesday and all he could do is ask me what other pills I wanted. And I suggested increasing Lyrica to three times a day. I am the one who suggests what I want like adding hydrocodone for bt pain. He tells me that what I need is the "Interdisciplary program" and that nothing else would work and since WC denied everything he asked for he isn't going to ask for anything else. I have since requested a new PM through my treating doctor but he doesn't believe WC will allow it. So now I am stuck with pills only and no hope for finding relief.

About the Cymbalta I opted not to fill that prescription at least not for now. I forgot to ask the PM while I was being hurried out the door from him about it. I will try increasing the Lyrica first. I already feel like a zombie most of the time.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:43 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

My nerve pain feels like I am being stung by bee's and sends me to my knees. I have it in my legs and feet. its very painful. I have cauda equina syndrome from an accident I had where I blew out a disk. I was pulling out a rose bush and popped the disk right out and it exploded onto my cauda equina nerves. I take 600 mgs of Lyrica and it has helped me A TON.... I also take oxy and oxycodone for B/T pain. they all help but I still have a lot of pain from nerve pain.

Lisa

Old 10-11-2007, 10:07 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I have nerve damage since my 2 level fusion in my legs, feet, toes.
Pain is: burning badly, feels like a tons of boiled water poored to your legs.
Stubbing: comes and goes, sometimes lasts longer, sometimes shorter but severe stubbing pain.

Pins and needles, numbness all the time, no relieve from it.
Horrible, severe spasms (not crams, that is different): could be from the knee down. The whole leg turns in spasms inside and the pain is so strong that brings tears in my eyes.
Symptoms can vary day by day.
Good luck to you.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:15 PM   #11
(female)

chiapatchie HB User
Post Re: Where do you feel the nerve pain? And how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post
Chiapatchie:
Then after I told the PM doctor about the problems that I was having like more depressed, suicidal thoughts, going into rages, anxiety. He told me to stay on it and increase it.

This was the last straw for putting up with this doctor. I found somebody else who actually cared and wanted to help me. I am off the Cymbalta for good and returned back to my calm, normal self. It still makes me mad the way he treated me. He also didn't treat me well becuase of being a recovering addict as well.

Thank God I found a doctor that is willing to work with me and put a little trust in me as well.

Brian
Brian...I am so happy to hear that you changed doctors and found a REAL Doctor--one who truly cares about you and your medical needs without being a hypocrit!!

I'm a recovered alcoholic... since 1991 ...and, I protect my sobriety because it is the most precious gift I have EVER given myself...WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU DID FOR YOURSELF, Sweetie...and, WE ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO COULD HAVE DONE THAT FOR US !!

Brian, yes, I'm very familiar with people looking down on me from their HIGH pedestals!! Most especially active USERS--"the SOCIAL DRINKERS" as they like to be called. What a joke What a bunch of hypocrits THEY ARE!! What they don't want to HEAR is someone committing on how many drinks they've had!! REMEMBER THAT, my friend, ALWAYS!!

There ARE a lot of folks here on the boards (I'M ONE OF THEM!) WHO ARE scared beyond belief of becoming addicted to our medicine because of PAST behavior that was darn hard to UNLEARN and embrace a new way of life...only to end up depending on a DRUG so that we can (hopefully) have some degree of a normal life again after being injured or as a result of a surgery that ended up ruining our lives forever!

One last thing....since all of my docs at the VA hospital know I'm a recovered LUSH ( ) and even MENTIONS my past addiction to me...I PROMPTLY inform them that opiate drugs are NOT my drug of CHOICE!! If I wanted to get that "old happy feeling" back, I would be at the liquor store...not the hospital!!

Old 10-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Chiapatchie,
Thank you for the kind words and I feel better knowing someone else is going through a similar situation. You are correct though that recovering addicts/alcholics do need to be extremely careful because there is a better chance that we "could" become addicted to something else. I have heard that our "drug of choice" can change and I am trying hard to stay in recovery while maintaining good pain management.

Brian

Old 10-15-2007, 10:42 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

I have the strange lung/chest and throat pain!!

I had pneumonia almost 5 years ago and after my lungs were clear I still had pain. They say it's not possible and my lung tests all come up normal.
At first it felt like I was breathing through a hard crunchy loofah.
Sometimes I'm short of breath, sometimes it feels like I'm breathing in something nasty, and sometimes it just hurts. I cough sometimes and my back under my shoulder blade hurts. Sometimes it feels like a hedgehog is digging under my collarbone. It's hard to explain. Does any of that sound familiar?

I've had all sorts of tests and all sorts of shots..they're not sure what's going on with my pain.I'm just looking for answers and trying to find something that will help.

Even if our pain is not the same...I do understand your frustration.
Hang in there!!!~Mush

Old 10-16-2007, 05:20 AM   #14
(female)

chiapatchie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post
Chiapatchie,
Thank you for the kind words and I feel better knowing someone else is going through a similar situation. You are correct though that recovering addicts/alcholics do need to be extremely careful because there is a better chance that we "could" become addicted to something else. I have heard that our "drug of choice" can change and I am trying hard to stay in recovery while maintaining good pain management.

Brian
Dear Brian, my Friend...

I STILL REMEMBER VIVIDLY that day I woke up in a stupor, disgusted with myself and how deathly sick I was...and, the cold hard truth that I needed to get BACK to the VA hospital, IF I WANTED TO LIVE!! I couldn't get back there fast enough to suit me!!

But, I made that trip one LAST TIME!! IT WAS MY CHOICE!!

Brian, we aren't playing "head games" with ourselves anymore. Our bodies have a very REAL MEDICAL NEED...and, we have to do everything possible to care for them and protect them. That's what we are doing with the MEDICATION.

So be kind to yourself...and, give YOURSELF lots of TLC!

Closed Thread