It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2007, 08:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Lioderm Patches

I had read on the board how these things worked wonders for people and I asked my GP for a perscription. I have used 2 and they are not working for me. Is there something I am supposed to be doing except for peel and stick??

Old 10-08-2007, 06:04 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User
Re: Lioderm Patches

Are you leaving them on long enough? The patches I tried had to be on for three days. On the third day I was so sick and with chronic back pain the last thing I want to do is spend a day bent over the toilet wretching with the dry heaves. Didn't bother doing anymore. Fred

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2007, 07:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

My patches state to wear them for 12 hours on and 12 hours off. I left it on for 4 hours and they did nothing.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

yep,they should ONLY be left on for 12 hours,after that they really actually lose any real effectiveness anyways.whether or not these will actually work for any pain issue is highly individual and really depends on alot of different factors.sorry you didn't obtain better results.they can work amazingly well on some types or areas of pain and not actually do anything for others.they are always worth taking the shot tho since you really wont know for certain how any med or treatment will actually work just for you til you try it.

if i may ask DDP,just exactly where is your pain that you are trying to treat and where are you placing the actual patch?sometimes just getting it in that right spot can make a huge difference in how much real relief you will obtain.i really don't know just how i could manage some of the horrid levels of pain flares without them.they were really a godsend for me.sorry they didn't actually do that for you.marcia

Old 10-08-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I have had 3 back surgeries and it looks like a 4th will be forthcoming shortly. I have nerve pain down the thigh, skipping the thigh into the right side of the outer foot and into the the 4 toes not the big toe. I also have severe back pain around my hardware L5 to s1. Previous fusion without hardware at s1/s2. New disc problems at L4. I am putting the patch over L4/L5 area.

My surgeon is pretty confident I am having hardware pain which is maybe why it is not working. It was worth a gamble. I just did not know if I was not doing something to activiate the patch.

I had a nerve block 4 weeks ago around the hardware and have not recovered. Pain is 24/7.

Thanks

Old 10-08-2007, 08:50 AM   #6
(female)

mcelroy21 HB User

I use the lidoderm patches in conjunction with opoids and get pretty decent relief. It really matters where you place the patch. I have found they are no good on joints such as knees, elbows or shoulders but work really well for my spine--if I get them on the right spot. If I am off just a bit--it won't work. I can feel the difference almost instantly when I take the patch off--when I get it in the right spot to begin with. I was very lucky and found a very good pm doctor in NC and I have a wonderful GP who is willing to step outside her comfort zone to treat me. I had cancer w/ radiation and that set off a whole host of newer problems and intensified what I already had as it burnt my brachial plexius. I am very lucky though............It helps keep my head to remember what is really important in life and to maintain a level of quality of life. I fight for myself and for the care offered by physicans. I had seen three different neurologists before I settled on the one I have now. Each doctor has their own views and beliefs that transfers to the level of care they provide......or do not provide...

Old 10-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

My hubby just put another patch on above the first one and I actually think it is helping a little. My pain has really been moving around alot this weekend. I am having pain in places I don't normally have it. Cross your fingers that this works just by moving it a little.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:10 AM   #8
(female)

morgyporgy HB User

My PM gives me samples of the Lidoderm patches since i have no insurance. They do not work on my back but worked great for my knee. I am to put it on and take it off every 12 hours as well. I cut them in half for my knee and then wrap an ace bandage around it because everytime i bend my leg it starts peeling off. This is another thing that is very individual. May work for some but not others.

The best thing i have found for my back and hip are the WELL PATCHES. That is actually the brand name. The strange part is that they are the cheapest ones i found. LOL Try those on your back if the Lido patches don't work. GL and God Bless, morgy porgy

Old 10-09-2007, 09:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Anyone that tries this make sure you use multiple patches. By my hubby adding a second one I was able to find some relief. That is amazing that they do not tell you that when it is dispensed.

Thank you for all your help.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:11 PM   #10
(male)

whosit HB User

i ahve a question? are these the lidocaine patches? or do they contain a opiate in them? if the lidocaine patches i have heard of them working wonders for some ppl and doing nothing for others. i know that you have to puty them directly where it hurts for the patch to be effective if lidocaine(so i have been told). it is good to wash the area before putting them on as well to allow the patch to work better. cant work as good if there is dirt in the way I would imagine but not sure. i had an uncle that had lidocaine patches for his back and he would rub icyhot on his back and about 30 mins later puy the patch on where his back hurt. i would think the icyhot would prevent it from sticking but it worked for him so a suggestion i guess. I hope this helps but again I dont know anything about them or what to do.....icyhot idea might actually be a bad idea but just going what a family member done. keep us updated on what is going on and if anything worked for you!

whosit

Old 10-10-2007, 02:50 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

My doctor said I can use up to three patches at a time. You can also cut them to fit where you want them to go.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:34 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

thank you for reading my mind XZX.i was just going to mention that you are not supposed to use more than three patches at the same time.it can place enough,but only with three(just kind of iffy if you are a susceptable person) or more at a time,to actually affect some peoples heart rhythms.lido is also a heart med they use to correct irregular heart rhythms.just wanted to make sure you were aware of that.just remember the twelve hour limit too.if at anytime when you are using the max limit amount and you start to feel any heart 'flutters' take off the patches and call your doc about it.it happens rarely with the max amount but it can happen.just be safe.glad you are finding some relief with them DDP.Marcia

Last edited by feelbad; 10-10-2007 at 06:37 AM.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:50 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Can you put heat on these things?

Old 10-11-2007, 05:01 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

thats a really great question.i wonder if it is in the Rxing lit,that big piece of paper that came with the box of patches that you cannot read as the writing is so small?i would just make a call to your pharmacist,they should know the answer to that one.i have my Rxing lit in the other room,if i get the chance i will try with a big magnifying glass,to see if there is anything there.the only thing i can really think of that could possibly be a problem would be that too much heat,'could' in some way increase the amount of lido being dosed out,you know what i mean?i know this can happen with the fent patches.but,calling your pharm really would be the best place for this type of info.i always call my pharm wayyy before my docs office if i have actual med questions.there are just soo many meds out there that no doc can possibly know the answers to all questions pertaining to them.Marcia

Old 10-11-2007, 05:40 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

There is nothing on the box insert. I will call my pharmicist today.

Closed Thread