It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
(male)

crash4 HB User
Does this sound like an increased dose?

Hello everybody,
Recently my pm changed me from 10mg perc 4/day to 10mg oxycontin every 12 hrs and 5mg oxycodone 4/day. I was having more pain and the 4 perc /day weren't cutting it. Now on this current dose I'm experiencing much more pain and told the doc about it. He says give it time to build up in my system ummm whaaaat? After taking the percocets for over a year I think it's built up in my system already. Is there something I'm missing. I went in to the office asking for one extra dose of the percs for more coverage(10mg perc 5/day) and he came up with the oxycontin. I know it's a longer acting oxy, but the total dose is the same. I get the feeling he's not feeling my pain. Or not believing my pain. UGHH! Aggravating. What do you guys think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2007, 08:34 PM   #2
(male)

TideAlumni HB User
Re: Does this sound like an increased dose?

You're getting the same amount but it is spread out. I got much better results with the short acting percs too. They enter your system much quicker but they also leave much quicker. If you were taking 10mg of percocet at a time and it hit your system in 30min, and then went to 10mg of percocet that delivered over a time span of 8 hours or something, it is only common sense that says it will work differnetly and probably not as well.
It might help to figure out when to take the 5mg of short acting with the 10mg of long acting for the best results. Talk to your doctor though, this is just my opinion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
(male)

whosit HB User
Re: Does this sound like an increased dose?

what you should do is try what he is telling you to do for now. iknow it sucks to be in pain but some doctors think they know your pain and have all the answers. after a month or so and you still in pain he might move you to 20mg of oxycontin to better manage your pain. also if you are getting a generic oxycontin that is made by teva they are worthless and that is why your pain went up. I had them and my pain went sky high and i went in withdrawls. i have to have brand name now since all the other generics are faded out and no longer made. mabey try switching to brand and see what happens and if that dont work then ask him to increase the long acting meds for you. most times they are more willing to go up on the long acting meds than more short acting meds....not sure why but that is the way it works most times. hope this helps you and you feel better soon!

whosit

Closed Thread