It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
(male)

jayboy HB User
cheapest painkillers for severe pain help

My story is a failed CHARITE Artificial disc replacement like many others are having. Stay clear of this one. My new pain doc in houston, texas says he has many CHARITE disc sufferers and is very concerned.

My question is that I have no insurance currently. My doc wanted to the long acting meds but they are to expensive. He wants to give me Immediate release morphine, dilaudid (hydromorphone) and he mentioned one more. Can you tell me some other painkillers that work well that are cheaper. He did give me ROXICODONE 15mg #90 for two weeks but thinks i need something stronger.

Anyone have any suggestions. Prescription assistance or cheaper meds.\

Jason

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
(male)

whosit HB User
Re: cheapest painkillers for severe pain help

you can try going on long acting meds if you want.....Oxycontin is a good one that I am on and it seems to work. The maker of it Purdue Pharma offers a assistance program to pay for it for those who cant afford it. try looking on thier website for more info and the program guidelines and such....you can find thier website with about any internet search engine. Hope this helps you!!

Whosit

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2007, 06:08 PM   #3
(male)

jayboy HB User

wow, thanks alot. Also, what is diluadid most similar to. the pharmacist said it was a little bit longer lasting.

The roxicodone they gave me is giving me more of a euphoric feeling but NOT killing the pain so well.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:32 PM   #4
(male)

whosit HB User

Dalaudid is hydromorphone......from what I understand it is similar to morphine in how it works but cant be sure. it is alot stronger than the roxicodone you are taking though and if you are feeling euphoric on it most likely you will have that effect increased if you switch to hydromorphone. I think it comes in 2mg and 4mg tablets but may also come in a 8mg tab as well(not sure). I have never been on it before except one time in an ER i got 2mg out into my IV and it made me pretty euphoric and helped the pain. my wife was suffering from alot of severe stomach pain in the past and when she went to the hospital for it several times they gave her the same thing in the IV....she said it made her euphoric but didnt really help her pain alot, the same thing the roxi is doing to to. You should discuss this with your doctor and I am sure he will have the answer and can suggest another med for you to try to help the actual pain you are having. i hope you get to the bottom of it and find a med that works for you though...it is never fun being in pain! Whatever medication your doctor decides is right for you just use the internet search engines to find a program to help you pay for it. there is a program for almost every medication out there. there is also a sticky thread at the top of the main pain page that has some help on getting info for paying for your medications. it has alot of really good info in it...so check it out as well.

whosit

Old 10-09-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

One of the cheapest pain meds out there is methadone. If the roxicodone did not help your pain very well, oxycontin would not do any better. There are always the patient assisted programs, and generic fentanyl patches, and morphine. Good luck!

Old 10-09-2007, 07:04 PM   #6
(male)

whosit HB User

you make a good point actually....he oxycontin prob wont help. i agree with the methadone suggestion though. it is very cheap and alot of ppl have found it very effective and not having the euphoric side effects as much as the other meds. talk to your doc about methadone.....good suggestion~!

whosit

Old 10-10-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
(male)

jayboy HB User

I will ask about methadone. The pharmacist stated that dilaudid last a little bit long in its quick release form than other immediate release meds such as oxycode and hydrocodone.

can anyone tell me if they do last longer. again, long acting ms or oxycontin are two expensive at this point. jason

Old 10-10-2007, 03:42 PM   #8
(male)

jayboy HB User

also, i have researched methadone and it seems that people have had difficulty weaning off of it because of its strength. One person stated it was way worse than hydro or oxy weaning. Plus the withdrawals were horrible they said.

Anyone come off of methadone for pain and have a difficult time. jason

Old 10-10-2007, 09:54 PM   #9
(male)

whosit HB User

as far as short cting meds go I know hydromorphone does work a bit longer than oxy or hydrocodone does in my opinion. You can try it....i know methadone is hard to come off of from what I have heard but alot of the pain killers are really.....i have heard bad things about methadone but alot of good things as well. good luck in your search though and let us know what you decide to go with and how it works for you.

whosit

Old 10-11-2007, 06:44 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

jodom1979 HB User

I was offered methadone or the patch. I chose the patch because of the scare of weaning on methadone if i had too at some point. The patch is extremely expensive though. I used to spend 190 bucks prior to getting Jassen pharm to approve me on the med assistance program. Its pretty easy to do. just go online and fill out the info. Hope this helps.

Jon

Old 10-15-2007, 07:48 PM   #11
(male)

tonybear HB User

from my understanding methadone is one of the cheapest meds out there. i've been on 50mgs x 3per day and recently i had an issue with my insurance and couldn't see my doc for almost three months. the withdrawls i went through actually weren't that bad, a little nausea and what not, but not as bad as i was expecting.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:33 AM   #12
(female)

MAMMYBOJAMMY HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayboy View Post
I will ask about methadone. The pharmacist stated that dilaudid last a little bit long in its quick release form than other immediate release meds such as oxycode and hydrocodone.

can anyone tell me if they do last longer. again, long acting ms or oxycontin are two expensive at this point. jason
Hi Jayboy. I wanted to tell you also that the Methadone "builds up" in your system........ so be sure and follow the directions to the T.... Methadone is also used to help people come off of Heroin. It is a very potent drug.

Please do get in touch with the Pharmaceutical companies. They do provide free meds depending on your income...... You can actually print the forms online, then take then in to your Dr. so he can fill out his part of the form.....The 1-800 number is also listed on their sites.
good Luck Jason.
Mammy

Old 10-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #13
(male)

jayboy HB User

thanks to all of you

Closed Thread