It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007, 07:16 PM   #1
(male)

whosit HB User
A few questions about Opana

hi huys I have a few questions about opana or better yet oxymorphone period.

how is it different than oxycodone or morphine as a pain reliever?
is it a agonist or a combo agaonist/antagonist?
I am right to think it has no tylenol or aspirin in it?

thanks guys!

whosit

Old 10-10-2007, 12:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: A few questions about Opana

I used the short acting version for a month. Oxymorphone is in the same class of synthetic opiates as oxycodone, hydromorphone and hydrocodone. The oral version "Opana" is nowhere near as strong as it's injectable version called Numorphan that's been around for decades. Because of it's poor oral absorption, they just never brought it to market outside of hospitals. It's 10 times more potent than injectable morphine but only 3 times more potent when used orally. That doesn't mean it won't work, we just don't process it as efficiently orally.

Anway, I found the literature to be about true, It's about twice as strong as Oxycodone and it seemed to last a little longer than oxy. Other than that, it did make me feel more loopy but that may have deminished over time with natural accomadation. It's name brand only so out of my price range.

I wouldn't mind rotating oxymorphone and oxycodone as my BT med every now and then. It's just as efective as any other med at the right dose and causes pretty much the same side efects as any of the other synthetics at equal doses.
Good luck, Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
(male)

whosit HB User
Re: A few questions about Opana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline View Post
I used the short acting version for a month. Oxymorphone is in the same class of synthetic opiates as oxycodone, hydromorphone and hydrocodone. The oral version "Opana" is nowhere near as strong as it's injectable version called Numorphan that's been around for decades. Because of it's poor oral absorption, they just never brought it to market outside of hospitals. It's 10 times more potent than injectable morphine but only 3 times more potent when used orally. That doesn't mean it won't work, we just don't process it as efficiently orally.

Anway, I found the literature to be about true, It's about twice as strong as Oxycodone and it seemed to last a little longer than oxy. Other than that, it did make me feel more loopy but that may have deminished over time with natural accomadation. It's name brand only so out of my price range.

I wouldn't mind rotating oxymorphone and oxycodone as my BT med every now and then. It's just as efective as any other med at the right dose and causes pretty much the same side efects as any of the other synthetics at equal doses.
Good luck, Dave

thanks for the response....it was all the info i needed to know....i was on a quest for a new BT med....tried hydromorphone and it was horrible so back to percocet. My doctor said he wont precribe more than 10mg for BT pain so the roxicodone is out. he said he would give me oxycodone 10mg alone(not sure what it would be...mabey oxyfast or oxy IR) but that he found that ppl who respond to percocet with APAP in it dont respond as well to oxycodone HCL alone even when taken with a OTC tylenol for some reason. he said everybody is different and dont respond the same way and that is why hydromorphone 4mg tabs even though more powerful didnt work at all for me(worked some but felt like only half of the perc 10/325 when taken). We are not going to switch anytime soon because this works well right now but when we do i will ask about a total conversion to Opana ER and opana instant release for BT pain if this dose becomes ineffective over time. thanks again for your answer. hope you have a pain free day!

whosit

Closed Thread