It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
(female)

pjammies HB User
Question First Pain Mgmt. Appt on Friday-What to expect?

My cardiologist referred me over to a pain managment doctor last week and sent me directly over there for paperwork, etc. While filling out the paperwork, I noticed I can only use one pharmacy under this clinic and a few other oddities and I don't mine that, really. Just found it odd.

I am curious, though, what should I expect during my first visit? It's this Friday and I would like a heads-up because I'm nervous.

My problems are severe arthritis along with back problems: stenosis, ruptured disks and bone spurs. I get a lot of sciatica pain and also my legs and arms have been going numb a lot lately (the numbness has been going on for about 2 months). I've had this pain for years and was hurt during a bad car wreck with a drunk driver 10 years ago and have handled it without having professional pain management up until now.

pjammies

Last edited by pjammies; 10-10-2007 at 10:43 PM.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:01 AM   #2
(female)

morgyporgy HB User
Re: First Pain Mgmt. Appt on Friday-What to expect?

i am curious as to why your cardiologist sent you to pain management for the issues you mentioned? is he your gp as well? anyway, i was really nervous at my first appt. as well but my PM turned out to be a godsend. he or she will sit down with you and discuss your ailments, medications, and anything you have tried to help the pain. for instance, heat or ice packs, certain excercises, etc. they will probably do a physical exam as well. they will also look over any tests, x-rays, mri's you have had done.

be honest with them and let them know how the pain is affecting your everyday life. GL and let us know how you are doing and how it went. God Bless, morgy porgy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2007, 08:47 AM   #3
(female)

pjammies HB User

I guess it does seem odd (concerning my cardiologist).

OY, long story but I haven't been to a doctor in 1 1/2 years because I am not on my husband's health insurance (which would be $500 per month for both of us).

When I got out of the hospital, after five expensive days of jello and tests, our bill was over $35,000.00 so I was made (thankfully) to fill out paperwork for medicaid/disability.

My cardiologist isn't charging me and is waiting for the medicaid/disability to come through and the pain management doc is a close collegue of his and is seeing me, also, and putting the bill on the backburner until the medicaid is available for which I am SO thankful.

My cardiologist is keeping me in samples, at the moment, because the 3 heart medications together cost $850.00. I did have to buy the nitro spray but I have samples of the beta blocker.

I hope this answers your question and thank you so much for responding to my question. I was beginning to think no one was going to!

By the way, I'm not new to treatment as I've tried various meds, injections, etc., but I AM new to being treated by professional pain management.

Thanks again!

pjammies

Last edited by pjammies; 10-11-2007 at 08:48 AM.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:27 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Dear Pjammies,
I can understand how you feel. The good thing is you are goind to see PM, he will have treatments available for you to help you with your pain.
Nothing to worry about, he will evaluate your condition and will try to help you. some of them order tests but since you have no insurance, I don't think he will suggest you this at this point.
But when you get your Medicade, see if they cover your tests and treatments and go for it. I am happy and thankful that you will be able to get one. Very hard to leave without any medical coverage.
Good luck to you, feel better!

Closed Thread