It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007, 08:25 PM   #1
(male)

jayboy HB User
more questions Roxicodone 30mg or dilaudid (hydromorphone)

I've been asking questions the last few days on this site. Now I'm taking roxicodone 15mg because it's cheap. It helps early in the day but after activity I am beginning to struggle. My doctor mention dilaudid 4mg instead of the roxicodone because it is cheap as well.

Would I be better off raising my roxicodone to 30mgs or trying dilaudid 4mg's. Doc gave me a two week script of 90 roxi's 15 mgs and wanted me to stop by the office and get another script if they were not working.

I really need something stronger. What would you recommend the roxi 30's or the dilaudid 4mg. Is the 4mg strong enough in your opinion. Please any input would be great. I'm struggling from a failed CHARITE DISC replacement as some of you know. I have no insurance and I'm trying to get healthcare assistance for scripts and surgery so i can get back to work. I'm hoping to find a med that reduces my pain enough but doesn't knock me out with that euphoric feeling. Someone mentioned methadone but I have heard some bad things about it. Thanks, Jason

Old 10-10-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
(female)

pjammies HB User
Re: more questions Roxicodone 30mg or dilaudid (hydromorphone)

A few years ago I tried some different narcotic medication to try to help my pain (via my primary physician). One of the ones I tried was Dilaudid and, for whatever reason, it didn't work well for me. I'm sure it helps quite a few people as it is known to be a strong narcotic but, for me, it just didn't cut it.

If I remember correctly, Dilaudid made me much sleepier than other narcotic medication, as well. However, this isn't to say it won't work for YOU. We're all different. If the Roxicodone has worked for you in the past, you might want to stick with a medication increase instead of trying to switch to a new medication altogether.

Hope this helps.

pjammies

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

I've used both and althouigh Dialaudid would be med of choice for post op pain when delivered IV through a PCA, I wasn't at all impressed with it orally. There are some other meds like this too, that loose a great deal of their potency when you change the delivery method. Oxymorphone is 10 times more potent than morphine when delivered IV but when delivered orally it's only 3 times more potent. Some of the meds ae just poorly metabolized and loose a great deal of their bio abvailabilty for various reasons.

I actualy turned 2 weeks worth of dilaudid back into my doc to in order to switch back to oxy rather than wait two more weeks with poor pain relief. The 15 bucks it cost was nothig compared to having to do another two weeks on oral didlaudid. As far as pain relief, I don't know what you're shooting for, but complete relief is rarely possible once you reach the point of actualy needing these meds. I have a pump know after 3 failed fusions and a pump that relieves 50% of the pain is considered a success, coming to terms with that takes a little more time than a doc telling you it's functioning the way it's suposed to. Just because a larger dose is always available it doesn't mean it's the best thing for you. It's a trade, If I wanted to be sedated, have no motivation, pee through a cath and give up sex at 40, They could crank that sucker up and leave me in a coma, But that's not living either and I haven't seem them change the sign from pain management to pain obliteration. Doubling a dose over night isn't safe by any standard I have read. Unfortunately they don't make something in between 15 and 30. Ideally you doc would say get a pill splitter and try 1 and 1/2 before doubling your dose. If it works, why skip over it and take more meds and deal with more side effects than you have too. There is also a noticable difference between Mallinkrodts generic Roxicodonde and any other generic I have used. Mallinkrodts version sucks along with their versions of many of meds.

I use the 30's but split those all the time. If I don't feel like I need 30 mgs or have to be alert and function I can always take the other half an hour later if a half isn't working. BTW, Methadone would be even cheaper and makes more sense from a PM standpoint than trying to manage long term pain with short acting meds.

But that's JMO, Good luck, Dave

Old 10-12-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User

Is Roxicodone the name brand for generic oxycodone?

Old 10-13-2007, 10:04 AM   #5
(male)

jayboy HB User

yes Roxicodone is the brand name. my script was filled as oxycodone 15mg.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

I am on the Duragesic Patch 100 with oxycodone 30mg for breakthrough pain (up to 4 per day). Unfortunately my Patch is not giving me the long acting relief that I would like and my oxycodone has become part of my every day pain meds. I will be seeing a new pm doc on October 25th and I'm hoping that she'll switch my patch to long acting oxycontin with the oxycodone for break through if needed. The oxycodone works very well for me at the 30mg dose. If I were you I would ask my doc if I could up my oxycodone to 30 mg. from your current 15mg. Good luck to you - Memere

Closed Thread