It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
(male)

jayboy HB User
continue Roxicodone but something much stronger at night - help

ok, more research. do they offer the lollipops for severe back pain or are they for cancer (thats what I heard).

Do they have a cheaper generic version. I really get by during the day with the roxi but at night time I really fall apart and become miserable. My wife and I seem to argue more when I am in servre pain.

What About something that i could take once at night that is much stronger than my usually roxi's. Just a once a day something at night when I really hurt the worst. What would be something that I could take just nightly that is much stronger than ROXICODONE. any suggestions. Jason

Last edited by jayboy; 10-11-2007 at 01:48 PM.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
(male)

whitfield HB User
Re: continue Roxicodone but something much stronger at night - help

May I ask what Mg you take of the Roxicodone? They come in 5, 15 and also 30Mg--May be as easy as just taking 2 instead of 1--The Actiq lollipops are not just for cancer, but I have never tried them so do not know much about them--I do know they are fentanyl which is one of the strongest pain meds--might be worth asking your doc about--good luck--Roger

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

The Actiq lollipops are excellent for breakthrough pain, but are very short acting. They go to work in minutes but last only about 30 minutes. They can be very expensive.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
(male)

jayboy HB User

roxicodone 15mg. wow, the lollipops only last 30 to 45 minutes. I don't need them then. I need something at night that is stronger and last 4 hours plus to get me to sleep. once i get to sleep, if i dont move much I can sleep for a few hours without waking up.

Somebody mentioned the hydromorphone (dilaudid) but I really wanted something that is significantly stronger than the Roxi's.

Also I fear methadone and have heard some horrific stories about it taking years to get off.

Doc mentioned instant release morphine 15 mgs for my pain but is that strong enough to make that big difference. my doc believes me and wants my pain to be under control. I just need some cheaper painkillers, i guess 30 count -enough for a month supply at nighttime and then the Roxicodone should be ok for day time.

Help Help, Jason

Old 10-11-2007, 08:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hi Justin, Aqtiq is FDA aproved for break through cancer pain only. However docs use all kinds of meds for all kinds of off label purposes. There are some folks that use Aqtiq, but it is the most potent opiate available. It's measured in micrograms, "1/milionth of a gram" Comparing mgs to micro grams is hardly apple to apple and it measured this way because it so potent. It would scare me to be at the point where the only thing that would satisfy me is the most potent med available. What happens if you do get cancer, what happens if that disc slips further and crushes nervews even more, what happens if you have more surgery.

The bottom line is your talking about going from 15 mgs of roxicodone to the most potent med available. It's like going from point C to Z without trying anything else. I don't know what you have tried but short acting meds aren't the way to manage long term pain, there are so many reasons to use LA it's a whole new topic. Trust me, your doc knows what meds are available, you don't need or even want to suggest Aqtiq at this point. I'm allowed up to 2 30 mg roxis at a time and I rarely use that but there are times when it would be nice to have a bottle of anesthesia sitting next to my bed, I doubt their going to give me aresol affentanyl for those reallyy bad times. It would be nice for when nothing touches the pain. Many of us have those days when even a couple roxicodone feel like tic tacs and nothing helps, that's why it's good to have a few other tricks up your sleeve when it comes to managing your pain or just coping with a really bad day.

PM is trial and error and they don't start with the most potent med on the market. If you haven't even given LA meds a try, you still have the whole alphabet before you set yourself up for nothing else working except more fentanyl. Even with a pump and 30 mg oxy to use as needed it would still scare the crap out of me knowing there is abosolutely nothing stronger any doc could ever give me. I know things aren't going to get better, so there is a little comfort knowing I haven't maxed out every med at the age of 40.
Good luck, Dave

Old 10-11-2007, 10:02 PM   #6
(male)

jayboy HB User

thanks shore. I was just researching. I am not educated in painkillers like some. I wanted to know my options, not jump to the most potent. I need something that is going to act longer anyway. I think you got me all wrong on this. My pain is not a 10 out of 10 anyway. I have never claimed that. However, my charite adr surgery has caused twice as much pain as before the surgery and I felt the need to get opinions from everyone on the board. Even the Godfather on pain management (you lol). I just need something cheap until I can get back to work and get on long acting meds through my insurance (hopefully). thanks for the feedback. Jason

Closed Thread