It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
(male)

mikep422 HB User
non narcotic pain meds

can anyone please name any non narcotic pain relievers that i can mention to my doctor im currently taking oxycontin and working and need something that doesnt have opiates and that stuff in it thanke mike

Old 10-11-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User
Smile Re: non narcotic pain meds

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the pain boards, We're glad to have you even if we're sorry you need us!
Your question would be easier to answer if we knew what was hurting, There are some great non narcotic pain meds for nerve pain, for example.

There are anti inflammatorys like Toredol and Naprosyn, but even high dose Ibuprophin (I take 800 mg ibuprophin in addition to my narcotic meds) will help.

Let us know whats going on with you medically and I'm sure you will get more specific answers.

Again, welcome!
Your Friend, Fabby

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
(male)

mikep422 HB User
Re: non narcotic pain meds

Thanks Fabby i have had 3 back surgeries and stiff suffer back pain everyday doctor say will have to liv ewith pain rest oflife due to scar tissue thanks mike

Old 10-12-2007, 04:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I don't know if you will really be able to handle the pain without a narcotic pain medication especially since you are already taking oxycontin. I guess it depends on your ability to handle pain and what your pain tolerance is. However, you could try taking ibuprofen (up to 3200mg/day). Tylenol (up to 4000mg/day), naprosyn (Aleve). There are several different medications used for arthritis but I don't really have any experience with those. You could also try something like Cymbalta which is used for nerve pain/depression. If you do have any kind of nerve pain there are many options including nortiptyline, amitryptiline, lyrica, neurontin, tegretol, and cymbalta.
The key is to find a combination that is going to work for you and keep you leading a functional life. Hope that helps a little

Brian

Old 10-12-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
(male)

mikep422 HB User

Thanks Brian great advice mike

Old 10-14-2007, 10:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

All kinds of things, alternate heat ice there is a script in form of a patch called
lidoderm, skelaxin (muscle relaxer) some have found usefulness in yoga stretching, short walking
back massages, or accupunture, water therapy, guided and or visual meditation
Some found some forms of relief with getting a new /or different type of mattress, changing out chair at work and or changing out furniture at home for more support. Don't forget to change out pillows that offer support as well
Simple fixes careful when reaching up or bending down. Looking into carts you can use for groceries from trunk to inside ( the metal ones with wheels)
There were good suggestions already mentioned from strong strength motrin/to
even low dose of anti depressants can also help with pain management

Closed Thread