It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
(male)

jayboy HB User
shoreline or anyone

Since you didn't like the dilaudid very much. Maybe bumping up my roxi and getting a pill cutter will be the help i need.

How effective is the instant release morphine. would it be similar to Roxi. If I need something between 15mg and 30 mgs of roxi then where would the morphine 15mgs fall in. the doctor mentioned that because it was cheap also.

He also mentioned burning a nerve in my back to get rid of the pain. my leg pain is pretty bad but so is my back. is this a successful surgery and would it help my back pain as well as my radiating leg pain which goes all the way to my big toe. Jason

Old 10-13-2007, 09:29 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shoreline2 HB User
Re: shoreline or anyone

Hey Jay, 30 mgs of MSIR would be in between 15 and 30 of oxy. Oxy is about 50% stronger , 30 mgs of MSIR would be like 20 mgs of Oxy.
If you hven't tried morphine, sometimes just a change in the individual opiate receptors each opiate binds too can give better relief.
Good luck, Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
(male)

jayboy HB User

thanks shore. I'm going to try and get some prescription assistance and get on oxycontin and then if I need something for break thru pain we can go from there. I hope you are well. Jason

Old 10-13-2007, 12:46 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

shoreline2 HB User

15 mg MSIR would be weaker than 15 mg oxy unles you just happen to repond better to morphine. Morphine is usually a little harsher on the stomache and more sedating initially but I wouldn't rule it out without giving it a fair try.
As far as RFA "radio frequency ablation" or chemical nerve ablation procedures,they are fairly contreversial as far as effectiveness. Nerves do grow back and the procedures can be painful depending on how much sedation is used. If the nerve grows back damaged you can end up in more pain a year down the road. That's worse case scenario but nerve ablation is really a last ditch effort to destroy a damaged nerve if nothing else helps. I would be more comfortable with a nerve block first to see if numbing the nerve works, if it does, then one of the methods to destroy a nerve would be the next step. Have you tried any of the antiseizure meds for nerve pain like Neurontin, Lyrica, or Toppamax, meds are definitely less invasive. I would want to try the med route before having nerves destroyed.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:59 PM   #5
(male)

jayboy HB User

I take amytripline (spelling) 25 mg for nerve pain. Is this the same. It seems to help a bit. what do you take.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Jay, Elevil is an antidepressant where the meds I mentioned were anti seizure meds, both have an effect n nerve poain but the anti siezure meds are believed to ne more effc=ective than antid's.

The last surgery relieved the leg pain from my back problems and pain that wasn't relieved is now compltely numb. I can literally put cigs out on my thighs andd feel nothing at all.I haven't done this on purpose, but I have fallen aslepp and burned myself quite severely =by dropping a cig in my lap several times. Forytnately the smoke woke me up and the depbreeding process was simple and pain free due to damge to the L2 nerve roots.

I actually see this as a good thing because nothing really helped the pain in my legs prior to surgery due to the severity of the nerve compressions. My surgeon says the nubness wqs from positioning from the last 12 hour surgery but nobody seems to by that including my other docs. He must have severed nevres during the last surgery. Fortunately they haven't grown back. When it comes to nerve pain, I never found opiates to provide the least bit of relief for nerve pain, they would sedate me before they would relieve the pain, but you can't spend the rest of your life sedated.

When it comes to antiD's and anticonvulsants, it's something you have to play trial and error with every med in both classes. One anti D may not help at all where another may. Same with anti seizure drugs, you can't take one version and conclude the entire class wouldn't be effective. If the first one you try doesn't work, you have at least a dozen different ones you can still try. I can't believe they want to do an ablation procedure before trying an antiseizure med or doing a test block to see if it would even help.

Lyrica actually got FDA aproval for the treatment of some types of nerve pain where all the others are simply known to be effective and their use is considered off label but they have been used for at least 15 years for this off label purpose. Before opiates were used on chronic non malignant pain, all they used were antiD's and anti seizure meds and of course the psych stuff, lots of PT and relaxation techniques and distraction techniques along with procedures like nerve ablation and blocks.

Good luck, Dave

Closed Thread